Question about Adaptec 2120s Raid Controller

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I have a RAID-5 setup on an Adaptec 2110S Controller, due to the fact
we want to update to Netware 6.5, the 2110s isn't compatible with
Netware 6.5
But the Adaptec 2020S is, so I was wondering since they are both in
the same family, could it be possible to change over the card without
loosing the RAID configuration. Or would we have to start from scratch?


I would think this would be okay as the Adaptec SCSI RAID
controllers store their RAID information on the last track of the hard
drives.


Thanks,
Jim Propert
7 answers Last reply
More about question adaptec 2120s raid controller
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    jim@knet.com.au wrote:
    >
    > I have a RAID-5 setup on an Adaptec 2110S Controller, due to the fact
    > we want to update to Netware 6.5, the 2110s isn't compatible with
    > Netware 6.5
    > But the Adaptec 2020S is, so I was wondering since they are both in
    > the same family, could it be possible to change over the card without
    > loosing the RAID configuration. Or would we have to start from scratch?
    >
    > I would think this would be okay as the Adaptec SCSI RAID
    > controllers store their RAID information on the last track of the hard
    > drives.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim Propert

    You might be ok, but I wouldn't risk it. (Are you absolutely certain
    you have all the product codes correct? In the subject line you mention
    2120s...)

    Either way, it's inconceivable that anyone should even dream of
    attempting this without at least making a secure backup of the data onto
    a couple of single drives beforehand. And test the backups as well.


    Odie
    --
    Retrodata
    www.retrodata.co.uk
    Globally Local Data Recovery Experts
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    It's is an Adaptec 2120S. I will make sure I have a vaild backup just
    in case.

    Thanks,
    Jim

    Odie Ferrous wrote:
    > jim@knet.com.au wrote:
    > >
    > > I have a RAID-5 setup on an Adaptec 2110S Controller, due to the fact
    > > we want to update to Netware 6.5, the 2110s isn't compatible with
    > > Netware 6.5
    > > But the Adaptec 2020S is, so I was wondering since they are both in
    > > the same family, could it be possible to change over the card without
    > > loosing the RAID configuration. Or would we have to start from scratch?
    > >
    > > I would think this would be okay as the Adaptec SCSI RAID
    > > controllers store their RAID information on the last track of the hard
    > > drives.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Jim Propert
    >
    > You might be ok, but I wouldn't risk it. (Are you absolutely certain
    > you have all the product codes correct? In the subject line you mention
    > 2120s...)
    >
    > Either way, it's inconceivable that anyone should even dream of
    > attempting this without at least making a secure backup of the data onto
    > a couple of single drives beforehand. And test the backups as well.
    >
    >
    > Odie
    > --
    > Retrodata
    > www.retrodata.co.uk
    > Globally Local Data Recovery Experts
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Okay I actually called Adaptec themselves, and yes I can do a RAID
    migration over to the new Adaptec 2120S Card.

    Thanks,
    Jim


    jim@knet.com.au wrote:
    > It's is an Adaptec 2120S. I will make sure I have a vaild backup just
    > in case.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim
    >
    > Odie Ferrous wrote:
    > > jim@knet.com.au wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I have a RAID-5 setup on an Adaptec 2110S Controller, due to the fact
    > > > we want to update to Netware 6.5, the 2110s isn't compatible with
    > > > Netware 6.5
    > > > But the Adaptec 2020S is, so I was wondering since they are both in
    > > > the same family, could it be possible to change over the card without
    > > > loosing the RAID configuration. Or would we have to start from scratch?
    > > >
    > > > I would think this would be okay as the Adaptec SCSI RAID
    > > > controllers store their RAID information on the last track of the hard
    > > > drives.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Jim Propert
    > >
    > > You might be ok, but I wouldn't risk it. (Are you absolutely certain
    > > you have all the product codes correct? In the subject line you mention
    > > 2120s...)
    > >
    > > Either way, it's inconceivable that anyone should even dream of
    > > attempting this without at least making a secure backup of the data onto
    > > a couple of single drives beforehand. And test the backups as well.
    > >
    > >
    > > Odie
    > > --
    > > Retrodata
    > > www.retrodata.co.uk
    > > Globally Local Data Recovery Experts
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    jim@knet.com.au wrote:
    >
    > Okay I actually called Adaptec themselves, and yes I can do a RAID
    > migration over to the new Adaptec 2120S Card.
    >
    Jim,

    You need to be careful here - make sure you have a backup first.

    When you move the drives over to the new controller, you have to
    configure that new controller and set up a new RAID array on it.

    This normally means initialising the disks - which will then show up as
    having no data / partitions, etc.

    Also make sure the new card has the latest BIOS before you do the swap;
    although driver support on Adaptec is superb (more than I can say for
    the rather lethargic performance of their cards - but they do work in
    everything) it is still possible to buy a card the BIOS of which is 18
    months old.

    And when you flash the BIOS, you also flash the drive config...


    Odie
    --
    Retrodata
    www.retrodata.co.uk
    Globally Local Data Recovery Experts
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    To setup new RAID, wouldn't this wipe the current configuration on the
    drives?
    I would have thought that the new card would have read the drive
    config and known what is currently on there. Initialising the disks
    would also mean loss of data in which I want to avoid.

    Thanks,
    Jim


    Odie Ferrous wrote:
    > jim@knet.com.au wrote:
    > >
    > > Okay I actually called Adaptec themselves, and yes I can do a RAID
    > > migration over to the new Adaptec 2120S Card.
    > >
    > Jim,
    >
    > You need to be careful here - make sure you have a backup first.
    >
    > When you move the drives over to the new controller, you have to
    > configure that new controller and set up a new RAID array on it.
    >
    > This normally means initialising the disks - which will then show up as
    > having no data / partitions, etc.
    >
    > Also make sure the new card has the latest BIOS before you do the swap;
    > although driver support on Adaptec is superb (more than I can say for
    > the rather lethargic performance of their cards - but they do work in
    > everything) it is still possible to buy a card the BIOS of which is 18
    > months old.
    >
    > And when you flash the BIOS, you also flash the drive config...
    >
    >
    > Odie
    > --
    > Retrodata
    > www.retrodata.co.uk
    > Globally Local Data Recovery Experts
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    jim@knet.com.au wrote:
    >
    > To setup new RAID, wouldn't this wipe the current configuration on the
    > drives?
    > I would have thought that the new card would have read the drive
    > config and known what is currently on there. Initialising the disks
    > would also mean loss of data in which I want to avoid.
    >

    I'm going to guess you have less than 250GB of data that needs backing
    up. (Including OS and apps.)

    Why not simply buy a decent 300GB drive (Seagate) and back up to that
    before trying anything?

    I wouldn't dream of transferring disks to a new card without first
    getting a backup and testing same.

    There is *every* chance that initialising the disks will render them
    useless (without some form of basic recovery) and without a backup
    things could be awkward.


    Odie
    --
    Retrodata
    www.retrodata.co.uk
    Globally Local Data Recovery Experts
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I will be making sure I have a good backup before I proceed with the
    upgrade.
    I am not looking forward to doing it.

    Thanks,
    Jim


    Odie Ferrous wrote:
    > jim@knet.com.au wrote:
    > >
    > > To setup new RAID, wouldn't this wipe the current configuration on the
    > > drives?
    > > I would have thought that the new card would have read the drive
    > > config and known what is currently on there. Initialising the disks
    > > would also mean loss of data in which I want to avoid.
    > >
    >
    > I'm going to guess you have less than 250GB of data that needs backing
    > up. (Including OS and apps.)
    >
    > Why not simply buy a decent 300GB drive (Seagate) and back up to that
    > before trying anything?
    >
    > I wouldn't dream of transferring disks to a new card without first
    > getting a backup and testing same.
    >
    > There is *every* chance that initialising the disks will render them
    > useless (without some form of basic recovery) and without a backup
    > things could be awkward.
    >
    >
    > Odie
    > --
    > Retrodata
    > www.retrodata.co.uk
    > Globally Local Data Recovery Experts
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Controller Adaptec Storage