is it possible for a virus to give these hard drive errors?

Hi there,

Can someone tell me if it's possible for a virus to be causing Event
Viewer ID errors 7 & 52?

Thanks in advance!
4 answers Last reply
More about virus give hard drive errors

    "Joon" <joonipur@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Can someone tell me if it's possible for a virus to be causing Event
    > Viewer ID errors 7 & 52?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Have you run a virus checker ?

    Yep I have run AVG and an online scan from Pandasoftware. I'm asking
    because the company that is repairing my computer is trying to tell me
    that a virus is causing the problem but I don't think I buy it.

    Just wondering what others thought.

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:56:30 GMT, "CWatters"
    <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote:

    >"Joon" <joonipur@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me if it's possible for a virus to be causing Event
    >> Viewer ID errors 7 & 52?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!
    >
    >Have you run a virus checker ?

    "Joon" <joonipur@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Can someone tell me if it's possible for a virus to be causing Event
    > Viewer ID errors 7 & 52?

    You didn't say what the source of those Event IDs was or what the errors
    were. Assuming that it is "Disk", then they expand to the strings:
    Disk Event ID 7: "The device, %s, has a bad block."
    Disk Event ID 52 "Driver has detected that device %s has predicted
    that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard
    drive. A failure may be imminent."

    The first is just a normal bad sector. Just a normal part of disk drive
    life, and clearly not a virus or something along those lines.

    The second I believe is generated by an automatic checker that looks at the
    drive's SMART information and then makes predictions based on the number and
    types of errors that the drive reports. To learn more about this and to get
    a tool that lets you look at the SMART information, see:
    http://www.drivehealth.com/

    <barney@fictitious.com> wrote in message
    > Yep I have run AVG and an online scan from Pandasoftware. I'm asking
    > because the company that is repairing my computer is trying to tell me
    > that a virus is causing the problem but I don't think I buy it.

    Nor do I. Ask them which virus their S/W claims to have detected.

Hardware Virus Storage Hard Drives IBM