Doom3 Bad fps on 6800 Ultra wtf? :S

I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
they wasnt no driver conflicts
installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
runs piss poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
all my other games run fine
i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
my spec system
is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S

my specs are

P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
1gig dual ddr 400
Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
Sound blaster Audigy 2

TIA

Andy
23 answers Last reply
More about doom3 6800 ultra

    Your problem is that a P4 3ghz is not a good choice for Doom 3.
    Upgrade to an Athlon 64 3400+ or higher for superb
    Doom 3 performance with the 6800 Ultra.

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

    Even a $160 Athlon 64 3000+ would probably help quite a bit, but an
    Athlon 64 3400+ or higher would probably be a better match for
    the 6800 Ultra video card.The 6800 Ultra is a great choice for Doom 3.

    http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQyLDM=

    "Andrew" <andyb.burns@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
    > could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
    > they wasnt no driver conflicts
    > installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
    > runs piss poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
    > this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
    > all my other games run fine
    > i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
    > my spec system
    > is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
    >
    > my specs are
    >
    > P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
    > 1gig dual ddr 400
    > Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
    > Sound blaster Audigy 2
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Andy

    What the heck ya got the settings at? Resolution?

    C A U T I O N ! ! !

    Troll Meter
    |iiiii|iiiii|iiiii|iiiii|ii^ii|
    0 100

    Bill Crocker

    "JK" <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Your problem is that a P4 3ghz is not a good choice for Doom 3.
    > Upgrade to an Athlon 64 3400+ or higher for superb
    > Doom 3 performance with the 6800 Ultra.
    >
    > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7
    >
    > Even a $160 Athlon 64 3000+ would probably help quite a bit, but an
    > Athlon 64 3400+ or higher would probably be a better match for
    > the 6800 Ultra video card.The 6800 Ultra is a great choice for Doom 3.
    >
    > http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQyLDM=
    >
    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
    >> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
    >> they wasnt no driver conflicts
    >> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
    >> runs piss poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
    >> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
    >> all my other games run fine
    >> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
    >> my spec system
    >> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
    >>
    >> my specs are
    >>
    >> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
    >> 1gig dual ddr 400
    >> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
    >> Sound blaster Audigy 2
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Andy

    ROFL u saying a 3gig p4 aint good enough to run it above 60fps without
    AA + AF my m8 has a 2.8 p4 with a 6800 gt and he runs it 1280x1024 4x
    AA 4 AF and his fps is solid 60fps mines dropping to 30fps without AA
    :S
    U think im gonna throw away money to buy a 64 bit cpu when they aint
    nothing up with the one i have lol

    Andy

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:54:32 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:

    >Your problem is that a P4 3ghz is not a good choice for Doom 3.
    >Upgrade to an Athlon 64 3400+ or higher for superb
    >Doom 3 performance with the 6800 Ultra.
    >
    >http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7
    >
    >Even a $160 Athlon 64 3000+ would probably help quite a bit, but an
    >Athlon 64 3400+ or higher would probably be a better match for
    >the 6800 Ultra video card.The 6800 Ultra is a great choice for Doom 3.
    >
    >http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQyLDM=
    >
    >Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
    >> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
    >> they wasnt no driver conflicts
    >> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
    >> runs piss poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
    >> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
    >> all my other games run fine
    >> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
    >> my spec system
    >> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
    >>
    >> my specs are
    >>
    >> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
    >> 1gig dual ddr 400
    >> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
    >> Sound blaster Audigy 2
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Andy

    "Andrew" <andyb.burns@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
    > could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
    > they wasnt no driver conflicts
    > installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
    > runs piss poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
    > this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
    > all my other games run fine
    > i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
    > my spec system
    > is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
    >
    > my specs are
    >
    > P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
    > 1gig dual ddr 400
    > Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
    > Sound blaster Audigy 2
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Andy

    what drivers are you using? also why not try installing DX9.0c and see what
    happens?

    PS get that from tekheads per chance? I have a Leadtek 6800 GT coming from
    them tomorrow (today!?!?) will do some benches.
    --
    Les
    AMD64 3200+

    driver default settings and in game im running it in 1280x1024 i
    tried 4x,2x, no aa dont make any difrence i get bad fps
    i tried to reinstall doom 3 but no good i tried these tweaks also but
    made no difrence
    http://www.viperlair.com/articles/howto/software/tweakd3/

    but all my other games run shithot i can run farcry in 1600x1200 4x AA
    16x AF and no lag what so ever :)
    but i wannt play doom :'(

    TiA

    Andy

    > driver default settings and in game im running it in 1280x1024 i
    > tried 4x,2x, no aa dont make any difrence i get bad fps
    > i tried to reinstall doom 3 but no good i tried these tweaks also but
    > made no difrence
    > http://www.viperlair.com/articles/howto/software/tweakd3/
    >
    > but all my other games run shithot i can run farcry in 1600x1200 4x AA
    > 16x AF and no lag what so ever :)
    > but i wannt play doom :'(
    >
    > TiA
    >
    > Andy

    Set to high quality? Or Ultra high? Set it to high quality. Recheck that
    res, seems like it's at 1200x1600, be sure that Vsync is off but I dont
    think that is holding you up. Ultra high is really only if you got the
    topoftheline CPU or one of them in the future 512 meg video cards.. Most
    are not able to play D3 at Ultra Quality. You will love the game at high
    quality. 60 dropping to 30 when there is alot of action is very acceptable
    frame rates anyhow.

    Play it awhile, I bet you find it very playable right now.

    Im using the 61.77 drivers i tried the 61.76 but just the same
    yes i did try using directx 9.0c thats when i had the trouble so i
    formatted & reinstalled xp and just tried with directx 9.0b but it
    just the same :S
    ill try putting directx 9.0c again see if that helps

    thnx

    Andy

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:17:08 +0100, "Les" <a@aolnot.com> wrote:

    >"Andrew" <andyb.burns@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
    >> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
    >> they wasnt no driver conflicts
    >> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
    >> runs piss poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
    >> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
    >> all my other games run fine
    >> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
    >> my spec system
    >> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
    >>
    >> my specs are
    >>
    >> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
    >> 1gig dual ddr 400
    >> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
    >> Sound blaster Audigy 2
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Andy
    >
    >what drivers are you using? also why not try installing DX9.0c and see what
    >happens?
    >
    >PS get that from tekheads per chance? I have a Leadtek 6800 GT coming from
    >them tomorrow (today!?!?) will do some benches.

    I had a Geforce FX5900Xt and just upgraded to 6800GT and had slow FPS. I
    uninstalled Doom 3 and reinstalled and now Iam Running at High 1240x1024
    Time Demo was 37 fps average. Very smooth. I think it somehow gets screwed
    up when swithching cards. Dont forget to backup your saved games.

    "Chuck S" <Chuck@home.com> wrote in message
    >I had a Geforce FX5900Xt and just upgraded to 6800GT and had slow FPS. I
    >uninstalled Doom 3 and reinstalled and now Iam Running at High 1240x1024
    >Time Demo was 37 fps average. Very smooth. I think it somehow gets screwed
    >up when swithching cards. Dont forget to backup your saved games.

    Why can't you play at 1600x1200?, and is AA/AF turned up the the max?

    You would think the 6800 Ultra would be able to have all settings on high
    and 1600x1200....for a $600 card you should expect nothing less.

    Are you using the dualview capabilities of your video card?
    Enabling nview multiple monitors has a very very negative impact on doom3
    performance, as explained here:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20040804_195824.html

    On my system (P4-2.6, 1024MB RAM and FX5900XT), I get over 30 fps in high
    quality and performance drops to less than 5 fps when both monitors
    (extended desktop) are activated.
    Try to disable the 2nd monitor if you have one and let test again !

    "Andrew" <andyb.burns@ntlworld.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
    > could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
    > they wasnt no driver conflicts
    > installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
    > runs piss poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
    > this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
    > all my other games run fine
    > i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
    > my spec system
    > is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
    >
    > my specs are
    >
    > P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
    > 1gig dual ddr 400
    > Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
    > Sound blaster Audigy 2
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Andy
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Run a timedemo (timedemo demo 1) and report back your FPS. What you are
    doing is looking at FPS in game, which gives you no way to evaluate against
    similar hardware. The best apples to apples comparison is a timedemo.

    "Andrew" <andyb.burns@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
    > could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
    > they wasnt no driver conflicts
    > installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
    > runs piss poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
    > this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
    > all my other games run fine
    > i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
    > my spec system
    > is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
    >
    > my specs are
    >
    > P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
    > 1gig dual ddr 400
    > Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
    > Sound blaster Audigy 2
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Andy
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:54:32 -0400 JK <JK9821@netscape.net> meeped :

    >Your problem is that a P4 3ghz is not a good choice for Doom 3.

    ridiculous statement !
    --

    ) ___ ______
    (__/_____) /) (, / )

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 04:02:47 +0200 "SkyFox" <pericat-dontspam@altern.org>
    meeped :

    >Are you using the dualview capabilities of your video card?
    >Enabling nview multiple monitors has a very very negative impact on doom3
    >performance, as explained here:
    >
    >http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20040804_195824.html
    >
    >On my system (P4-2.6, 1024MB RAM and FX5900XT), I get over 30 fps in high
    >quality and performance drops to less than 5 fps when both monitors
    >(extended desktop) are activated.
    >Try to disable the 2nd monitor if you have one and let test again !

    ahh.. i was gonna suggest the same "tweak"
    --

    ) ___ ______
    (__/_____) /) (, / )

    Ok i run some benchmarks on the 61.77 drivers using directx 9.0c using
    default driver quality settings
    The first time i run the benchmark it run really bad really jerky etc
    but if i run it again straight after everything was alot smother :)
    so i done the same benchmark 3 times
    but the game runs like the 1st benchmark :( jerky

    Everything in advanced settings was on
    v-sync was tunred off

    Timedemo demo1

    1600 x 1200 no AA Ultra high
    55.4 fps
    67.5 fps
    68.1 fps

    1600 x 1200 2x AA Ultra high
    45.3 fps
    53.0 fps
    53.2 fps

    1600 x 1200 4x AA Ultra high
    35.4 fps
    39.9 fps
    40.1 fps

    1600 x 1200 no AA High
    52.5 fps
    62.9 fps
    62.6 fps

    1600 x 1200 2x AA High
    47.0 fps
    54.8 fps
    54.6 fps

    1600 x 1200 4x AA High
    36.8 fps
    41.2 fps
    41.4 fps

    Can anyone compare these to there benchmarks based on the same
    settings / driver's and system specs plz

    TIA

    Andy

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:56:58 -0400, "Eric" <Eric@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Run a timedemo (timedemo demo 1) and report back your FPS. What you are
    >doing is looking at FPS in game, which gives you no way to evaluate against
    >similar hardware. The best apples to apples comparison is a timedemo.
    >

    >"Andrew" <andyb.burns@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
    >> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
    >> they wasnt no driver conflicts
    >> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
    >> runs piss poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
    >> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
    >> all my other games run fine
    >> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
    >> my spec system
    >> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
    >>
    >> my specs are
    >>
    >> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
    >> 1gig dual ddr 400
    >> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
    >> Sound blaster Audigy 2
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Andy

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:40:50 +0100 Andrew <andyb.burns@ntlworld.com> meeped :

    http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_8.html
    --

    ) ___ ______
    (__/_____) /) (, / )

    ive just compared my benchmarks & settings with the benchmarks done on
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/index.html
    and my benchmarks are about right :) just going to mess about a bit
    with cahe settings hope i can get rid of this jerky gameplay :(

    wrote:

    >Ok i run some benchmarks on the 61.77 drivers using directx 9.0c using
    >default driver quality settings
    >The first time i run the benchmark it run really bad really jerky etc
    >but if i run it again straight after everything was alot smother :)
    >so i done the same benchmark 3 times
    > but the game runs like the 1st benchmark :( jerky
    >

    >Everything in advanced settings was on
    >v-sync was tunred off
    >
    >Timedemo demo1
    >
    >1600 x 1200 no AA Ultra high
    >55.4 fps
    >67.5 fps
    >68.1 fps
    >
    >1600 x 1200 2x AA Ultra high
    >45.3 fps
    >53.0 fps
    >53.2 fps
    >
    >1600 x 1200 4x AA Ultra high
    >35.4 fps
    >39.9 fps
    >40.1 fps
    >
    >1600 x 1200 no AA High
    >52.5 fps
    >62.9 fps
    >62.6 fps
    >
    >1600 x 1200 2x AA High
    >47.0 fps
    >54.8 fps
    >54.6 fps
    >
    >1600 x 1200 4x AA High
    >36.8 fps
    >41.2 fps
    >41.4 fps
    >
    >Can anyone compare these to there benchmarks based on the same
    >settings / driver's and system specs plz
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Andy
    >
    >P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
    >1gig dual ddr 400
    >Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
    > Sound blaster Audigy 2
    >

    >On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:56:58 -0400, "Eric" <Eric@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Run a timedemo (timedemo demo 1) and report back your FPS. What you are
    >>doing is looking at FPS in game, which gives you no way to evaluate against
    >>similar hardware. The best apples to apples comparison is a timedemo.
    >>

    >>"Andrew" <andyb.burns@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
    >>> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
    >>> they wasnt no driver conflicts
    >>> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
    >>> runs piss poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
    >>> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
    >>> all my other games run fine
    >>> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
    >>> my spec system
    >>> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
    >>>
    >>> my specs are
    >>>
    >>> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
    >>> 1gig dual ddr 400
    >>> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
    >>> Sound blaster Audigy 2
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Andy

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Is doom3 jerky in the game, timedemo or both?
    In my system with a 6800ultra the timedemo is jerky
    but the game is not.

    Jim M

    > ive just compared my benchmarks & settings with the benchmarks done on
    > http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/index.html
    > and my benchmarks are about right :) just going to mess about a bit
    > with cahe settings hope i can get rid of this jerky gameplay :(
    >
    > On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:40:50 +0100, Andrew <andyb.burns@ntlworld.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Ok i run some benchmarks on the 61.77 drivers using directx 9.0c using
    >>default driver quality settings
    >>The first time i run the benchmark it run really bad really jerky etc
    >>but if i run it again straight after everything was alot smother :)
    >>so i done the same benchmark 3 times
    >> but the game runs like the 1st benchmark :( jerky
    >>

    >>Everything in advanced settings was on
    >>v-sync was tunred off
    >>
    >>Timedemo demo1
    >>
    >>1600 x 1200 no AA Ultra high
    >>55.4 fps
    >>67.5 fps
    >>68.1 fps
    >>
    >>1600 x 1200 2x AA Ultra high
    >>45.3 fps
    >>53.0 fps
    >>53.2 fps
    >>
    >>1600 x 1200 4x AA Ultra high
    >>35.4 fps
    >>39.9 fps
    >>40.1 fps
    >>
    >>1600 x 1200 no AA High
    >>52.5 fps
    >>62.9 fps
    >>62.6 fps
    >>
    >>1600 x 1200 2x AA High
    >>47.0 fps
    >>54.8 fps
    >>54.6 fps
    >>
    >>1600 x 1200 4x AA High
    >>36.8 fps
    >>41.2 fps
    >>41.4 fps
    >>
    >>Can anyone compare these to there benchmarks based on the same
    >>settings / driver's and system specs plz
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>
    >>Andy
    >>
    >>P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
    >>1gig dual ddr 400
    >>Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
    >> Sound blaster Audigy 2
    >>

    >>On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:56:58 -0400, "Eric" <Eric@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Run a timedemo (timedemo demo 1) and report back your FPS. What you are
    >>>doing is looking at FPS in game, which gives you no way to evaluate
    >>>against
    >>>similar hardware. The best apples to apples comparison is a timedemo.
    >>>

    >>>"Andrew" <andyb.burns@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    The game is not as jerky as the first timedemo i been tweaking the
    cache settings , video ram size etc from
    http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_8.html
    and it runs alot better now very playable @ 1024x768 4xAA :) i got
    75.3 fps on the time demo using these settings :)
    thanks alot for the help guys :) now im off to play soom doom3 :P

    Andy

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:07:28 -0600, "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Is doom3 jerky in the game, timedemo or both?
    >In my system with a 6800ultra the timedemo is jerky
    >but the game is not.
    >
    >Jim M
    >
    >"Andrew" <andyb.burns@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> ive just compared my benchmarks & settings with the benchmarks done on
    >> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/index.html
    >> and my benchmarks are about right :) just going to mess about a bit
    >> with cahe settings hope i can get rid of this jerky gameplay :(
    >>
    >> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:40:50 +0100, Andrew <andyb.burns@ntlworld.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ok i run some benchmarks on the 61.77 drivers using directx 9.0c using
    >>>default driver quality settings
    >>>The first time i run the benchmark it run really bad really jerky etc
    >>>but if i run it again straight after everything was alot smother :)
    >>>so i done the same benchmark 3 times
    >>> but the game runs like the 1st benchmark :( jerky
    >>>

    >>>Everything in advanced settings was on
    >>>v-sync was tunred off
    >>>
    >>>Timedemo demo1
    >>>
    >>>1600 x 1200 no AA Ultra high
    >>>55.4 fps
    >>>67.5 fps
    >>>68.1 fps
    >>>
    >>>1600 x 1200 2x AA Ultra high
    >>>45.3 fps
    >>>53.0 fps
    >>>53.2 fps
    >>>
    >>>1600 x 1200 4x AA Ultra high
    >>>35.4 fps
    >>>39.9 fps
    >>>40.1 fps
    >>>
    >>>1600 x 1200 no AA High
    >>>52.5 fps
    >>>62.9 fps
    >>>62.6 fps
    >>>
    >>>1600 x 1200 2x AA High
    >>>47.0 fps
    >>>54.8 fps
    >>>54.6 fps
    >>>
    >>>1600 x 1200 4x AA High
    >>>36.8 fps
    >>>41.2 fps
    >>>41.4 fps
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone compare these to there benchmarks based on the same
    >>>settings / driver's and system specs plz
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>
    >>>Andy
    >>>
    >>>P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
    >>>1gig dual ddr 400
    >>>Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
    >>> Sound blaster Audigy 2

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Don't worry about the jerkiness in the initial time demo. It is cacheing
    the textures then. It is jerky for everyone on the first run.

    > The game is not as jerky as the first timedemo i been tweaking the
    > cache settings , video ram size etc from
    > http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_8.html
    > and it runs alot better now very playable @ 1024x768 4xAA :) i got
    > 75.3 fps on the time demo using these settings :)
    > thanks alot for the help guys :) now im off to play soom doom3 :P
    >
    > Andy
    >
    > On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:07:28 -0600, "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Is doom3 jerky in the game, timedemo or both?
    > >In my system with a 6800ultra the timedemo is jerky
    > >but the game is not.
    > >
    > >Jim M
    > >
    > >"Andrew" <andyb.burns@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > >> ive just compared my benchmarks & settings with the benchmarks done on
    > >> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/index.html
    > >> and my benchmarks are about right :) just going to mess about a bit
    > >> with cahe settings hope i can get rid of this jerky gameplay :(

    :S

  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I wouldn't mess with tweaking too much. You shouldn't need to tweak at ALL
    with that card and lose visual impact.

    You SHOULD check that the settings are correct - such as this setting:
    com_videoram

    Like a lot of people, I found that the game detected this wrong. It said 64
    for me, when I have a 128 mb card.

    If yours says 64 (or 128), change it to what your card has : I think 256.

    That helped me. And I have a geforce fx 5900XT.

    The 1st benchmark run is jerky for EVERYONE -- it is caching textures.
    Always report the 2nd or 3rd run.

    And your timedemo runs look fine -- check out www.tomshardware.com (they
    ran some benchmarks with your card).

    Also, make sure your Nvidia driver settings are not overriding the game
    settings.

    > Ok i run some benchmarks on the 61.77 drivers using directx 9.0c using
    > default driver quality settings
    > The first time i run the benchmark it run really bad really jerky etc
    > but if i run it again straight after everything was alot smother :)
    > so i done the same benchmark 3 times
    > but the game runs like the 1st benchmark :( jerky
    >

    > Everything in advanced settings was on
    > v-sync was tunred off
    >
    > Timedemo demo1
    >
    > 1600 x 1200 no AA Ultra high
    > 55.4 fps
    > 67.5 fps
    > 68.1 fps
    >
    > 1600 x 1200 2x AA Ultra high
    > 45.3 fps
    > 53.0 fps
    > 53.2 fps
    >
    > 1600 x 1200 4x AA Ultra high
    > 35.4 fps
    > 39.9 fps
    > 40.1 fps
    >
    > 1600 x 1200 no AA High
    > 52.5 fps
    > 62.9 fps
    > 62.6 fps
    >
    > 1600 x 1200 2x AA High
    > 47.0 fps
    > 54.8 fps
    > 54.6 fps
    >
    > 1600 x 1200 4x AA High
    > 36.8 fps
    > 41.2 fps
    > 41.4 fps
    >
    > Can anyone compare these to there benchmarks based on the same
    > settings / driver's and system specs plz
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Andy
    >
    > P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
    > 1gig dual ddr 400
    > Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
    > Sound blaster Audigy 2
    >

    > On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:56:58 -0400, "Eric" <Eric@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Run a timedemo (timedemo demo 1) and report back your FPS. What you are
    > >doing is looking at FPS in game, which gives you no way to evaluate
    against
    > >similar hardware. The best apples to apples comparison is a timedemo.
    > >

    > >"Andrew" <andyb.burns@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > >> I just bought a Geforce 6800 ultra retail (point of view) thats all i
    > >> could get hold of in uk :S i done a fresh install of windows xp so
    > >> they wasnt no driver conflicts
    > >> installed doom 3 with directx 9.0b what was on doom disc and the game
    > >> runs piss poor :S fps are dropping from 60fps down to 30fps :S
    > >> this aint right i know this card owns doom max settings with AA + AF
    > >> all my other games run fine
    > >> i run 3dmark 03 and i scored 12186 wich i know thats about right for
    > >> my spec system
    > >> is anyone else having problems like this in doom3 with this card ? :S
    > >>
    > >> my specs are
    > >>
    > >> P4 3ghz (HT) (northwood)
    > >> 1gig dual ddr 400
    > >> Geforce 6800 Ultra (point of view)
    > >> Sound blaster Audigy 2
    > >>
    > >> TIA
    > >>
    > >> Andy

  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 06:44:42 +0100 Andrew <andyb.burns@ntlworld.com> meeped :

    >The game is not as jerky as the first timedemo i been tweaking the
    >cache settings , video ram size etc from
    >http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_8.html
    >and it runs alot better now very playable @ 1024x768 4xAA :) i got
    >75.3 fps on the time demo using these settings :)
    >thanks alot for the help guys :) now im off to play soom doom3 :P
    >
    >Andy

    ahhh... i pasted that link yesterday...it's very thorough
    --

    ) ___ ______
    (__/_____) /) (, / )

    Yeah that helped alot m8 thnx :)
    it runs perfect now i changed cache settings and changed com_videoram
    to 256 it was on 64mb :S

    Andy

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:39:29 GMT, Granulated
    <doh@troublesomeodoursfreeuk.com> wrote:

    >On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 06:44:42 +0100 Andrew <andyb.burns@ntlworld.com> meeped :
    >
    >>The game is not as jerky as the first timedemo i been tweaking the
    >>cache settings , video ram size etc from
    >>http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_8.html
    >>and it runs alot better now very playable @ 1024x768 4xAA :) i got
    >>75.3 fps on the time demo using these settings :)
    >>thanks alot for the help guys :) now im off to play soom doom3 :P
    >>
    >>Andy
    >
    >ahhh... i pasted that link yesterday...it's very thorough

Nvidia Graphics