what 3Dfx chip was used in Sega's 'Black Belt' prototype c..

Archived from groups: 3dfx.products.voodoo3,3dfx.products.voodoo5,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

I've always wanted to know what 3Dfx chip was used in Sega's 'Black Belt'
prototype console, from 1997

or rather, what *would* have been the *final* 3Dfx chip used in Black Belt,
in 1998/1999 when the machine was to come out? ....being that early
prototypes often do not have the final chip but a previous generation chip
or incompleted next-gen chip....

* modified custom Banshee (1x PixelFX2, 1x TexelFX2) intergrated on one
chip

* modified custom Banshee2 (1x PixelFX2, 2x TexelFX2) all intergrated on
one chip <--- same as Voodoo3

Sega and 3Dfx inked a contract, IIRC, in Feb 1997. Sega killed the
contract in July 1997.

Banshee for PCs came out, IIRC, in 1998, and Banshee2 / Voodoo3 in 1999.
I am leaning towards Sega getting some version of the Banshee2 / Voodoo3.
but it's open for discussion & debate

keep in mind, that Dreamcast is a seperate matter, since Dreamcast was the
consumer name for
Dural / Katana, the winning prototype console which used PowerVR2.
9 answers Last reply
More about what 3dfx chip sega black belt prototype
  1. Archived from groups: 3dfx.products.voodoo3,3dfx.products.voodoo5,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    Pretty sure it was a version of the Voodoo3.

    BTW, from what I remember in a press release, 3dfx sued Sega over breach of
    contract and won. The money it got was the only thing that kept 3dfx from
    going into the red that quarter. Gives you an idea of how small 3dfx was
    compared to the industry giants at that time...

    <bulldog> wrote in message news:jaednUBaYNpDGyXfRVn-1g@comcast.com...

    > I've always wanted to know what 3Dfx chip was used in Sega's 'Black Belt'
    > prototype console, from 1997
    >
    > or rather, what *would* have been the *final* 3Dfx chip used in Black
    > Belt, in 1998/1999 when the machine was to come out? ....being that
    > early prototypes often do not have the final chip but a previous
    > generation chip or incompleted next-gen chip....
    >

    > * modified custom Banshee (1x PixelFX2, 1x TexelFX2) intergrated on one
    > chip
    >
    > * modified custom Banshee2 (1x PixelFX2, 2x TexelFX2) all intergrated
    > on one chip <--- same as Voodoo3
    >

    > Sega and 3Dfx inked a contract, IIRC, in Feb 1997. Sega killed the
    > contract in July 1997.
    >
    > Banshee for PCs came out, IIRC, in 1998, and Banshee2 / Voodoo3 in 1999.
    > I am leaning towards Sega getting some version of the Banshee2 / Voodoo3.
    > but it's open for discussion & debate
    >

    > keep in mind, that Dreamcast is a seperate matter, since Dreamcast was the
    > consumer name for
    > Dural / Katana, the winning prototype console which used PowerVR2.

  2. Archived from groups: 3dfx.products.voodoo3,3dfx.products.voodoo5,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    I remember my first 3d accelerated video card: PCI Voodoo 3/2000. Seeing
    half life, Quake2 and Xwing:alliance for the first time with 3d accelerated
    video was a jaw-dropper. My Matrox Mystake 4MB had kept me going up until
    that time.

    --
    there is no .sig
    > Pretty sure it was a version of the Voodoo3.
    >
    > BTW, from what I remember in a press release, 3dfx sued Sega over breach
    > of contract and won. The money it got was the only thing that kept 3dfx
    > from going into the red that quarter. Gives you an idea of how small 3dfx
    > was compared to the industry giants at that time...
    >
    > --
    >

    > <bulldog> wrote in message news:jaednUBaYNpDGyXfRVn-1g@comcast.com...
    >>
    >> I've always wanted to know what 3Dfx chip was used in Sega's 'Black Belt'
    >> prototype console, from 1997
    >>
    >> or rather, what *would* have been the *final* 3Dfx chip used in Black
    >> Belt, in 1998/1999 when the machine was to come out? ....being that
    >> early prototypes often do not have the final chip but a previous
    >> generation chip or incompleted next-gen chip....
    >>

    >> * modified custom Banshee (1x PixelFX2, 1x TexelFX2) intergrated on one
    >> chip
    >>
    >> * modified custom Banshee2 (1x PixelFX2, 2x TexelFX2) all intergrated
    >> on one chip <--- same as Voodoo3
    >>

    >> Sega and 3Dfx inked a contract, IIRC, in Feb 1997. Sega killed the
    >> contract in July 1997.
    >>
    >> Banshee for PCs came out, IIRC, in 1998, and Banshee2 / Voodoo3 in
    >> 1999. I am leaning towards Sega getting some version of the Banshee2 /
    >> Voodoo3. but it's open for discussion & debate
    >>

    >> keep in mind, that Dreamcast is a seperate matter, since Dreamcast was
    >> the consumer name for
    >> Dural / Katana, the winning prototype console which used PowerVR2.

  3. Archived from groups: 3dfx.products.voodoo3,3dfx.products.voodoo5,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >. My Matrox Mystake 4MB had kept me going up until that time.

    I had one of those. It was marketed as a 3D accelerator yet it didn't even
    support bilinear filtering. The clown on the box said it all.
  4. Archived from groups: 3dfx.products.voodoo3,3dfx.products.voodoo5,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    The first 3D accelerated game I played was MechWarrior2 bundled with my
    IBM's onboard 3D Rage II video. A subsequent driver release enabled me to
    play D3D games like Heavy Gear and Turok at 10-15 fps. For giggles I used
    Powerstrip and o/c'd the 2 MB video memory from 33 MHz to 45 MHz, but saw no
    performance gain. To this day, I think IBM still sells a 2 MB expansion for
    the Rage II (bringing the total to 4 MB), for the price of a 6600GT...

    Later I got a V3 2000 PCI just like yours. The difference was night and
    day... Back then, "high end" video cards sold for less than $200. I still
    have the card in a box as a backup, with a Pentium1 fan attached to the heat
    sink.

    "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I remember my first 3d accelerated video card: PCI Voodoo 3/2000. Seeing
    >half life, Quake2 and Xwing:alliance for the first time with 3d accelerated
    >video was a jaw-dropper. My Matrox Mystake 4MB had kept me going up until
    >that time.
  5. Archived from groups: 3dfx.products.voodoo3,3dfx.products.voodoo5,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    Actually, my Matrox Mystique was capable of 3d accleration in three games I
    had: Mechwarrior, Mechwarrior Mercenaries and Xwing Alliance. It did predate
    any of the 3dFx cards. I wonder if the Mystake was the first 3d accelerator
    card?

    --
    there is no .sig
    > The first 3D accelerated game I played was MechWarrior2 bundled with my
    > IBM's onboard 3D Rage II video. A subsequent driver release enabled me to
    > play D3D games like Heavy Gear and Turok at 10-15 fps. For giggles I used
    > Powerstrip and o/c'd the 2 MB video memory from 33 MHz to 45 MHz, but saw
    > no performance gain. To this day, I think IBM still sells a 2 MB expansion
    > for the Rage II (bringing the total to 4 MB), for the price of a 6600GT...
    >
    > Later I got a V3 2000 PCI just like yours. The difference was night and
    > day... Back then, "high end" video cards sold for less than $200. I still
    > have the card in a box as a backup, with a Pentium1 fan attached to the
    > heat sink.
    >
    > --
    >

    > "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I remember my first 3d accelerated video card: PCI Voodoo 3/2000. Seeing
    >>half life, Quake2 and Xwing:alliance for the first time with 3d
    >>accelerated video was a jaw-dropper. My Matrox Mystake 4MB had kept me
    >>going up until that time.

  6. Archived from groups: 3dfx.products.voodoo3,3dfx.products.voodoo5,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    Doug wrote:

    >I remember my first 3d accelerated video card: PCI Voodoo 3/2000. Seeing
    >half life, Quake2 and Xwing:alliance for the first time with 3d accelerated
    >video was a jaw-dropper. My Matrox Mystake 4MB had kept me going up until
    >that time.

    I had a Voodoo I, and even my non-geeky, non-game-playing, skeptic
    friends were impressed. Comparing Doom and Quake to GL-Quake and
    Quake II with the Voodoo. Massive improvement.
  7. Archived from groups: 3dfx.products.voodoo3,3dfx.products.voodoo5,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:37:51 -0500, chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >Doug wrote:
    >
    >>I remember my first 3d accelerated video card: PCI Voodoo 3/2000. Seeing
    >>half life, Quake2 and Xwing:alliance for the first time with 3d accelerated
    >>video was a jaw-dropper. My Matrox Mystake 4MB had kept me going up until
    >>that time.
    >
    >I had a Voodoo I, and even my non-geeky, non-game-playing, skeptic
    >friends were impressed. Comparing Doom and Quake to GL-Quake and
    >Quake II with the Voodoo. Massive improvement.

    First accelerated patch I had for my Voodoo 1 was Tomb Raider. I couldn't
    believe the difference it made.
  8. Archived from groups: 3dfx.products.voodoo3,3dfx.products.voodoo5,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    "Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    > First accelerated patch I had for my Voodoo 1 was Tomb Raider. I couldn't
    > believe the difference it made.

    Same here. What impressed me most were the light reflections, dancing on the
    walls of the underwater passageways, of the second level (City of
    Vilcabamba).
  9. Archived from groups: 3dfx.products.voodoo3,3dfx.products.voodoo5,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    3DFX was aquired by Nvidia sometime back in 2000 for a rather large amount
    of money. Now nvidia use the technology that 3DFX first pioneered into their
    FX range of cards.

    The next generation of FX cards from Nvidia will be far superior in design
    and speed ATI would be unable to keep up with Core Speeds and possibly
    Memory speeds due to lack of the technology that nvidia have in the
    pipeline.

    Consoles are nearly coming upto speed game wise with all the latest
    technology. Xbox 360 (Hyper PC O/C)
    , PS3 (major overhaul on PS2) not future proof and last the nintendo 256bit
    monster (no name released yet) keep watching for all these wonderful
    consoles to arrive.

    and to end all this off Nvidia (G70) range of GFX cards will start a
    Graphics card war like no other......

    in my opinion use what you have and let all graphic card companies that your
    happy with the existing card you have as they are fleecing you on the basis
    theat you need this technology. Which games use more than 256 meg memory and
    need anything over 400mhz core speed for GPU power the software houses work
    within guidelines to make games that function with this power source as
    above.

    You tell me any different in your opinions i would like to Know what you
    think...........Adios amigos
    <bulldog> wrote in message news:jaednUBaYNpDGyXfRVn-1g@comcast.com...

    > I've always wanted to know what 3Dfx chip was used in Sega's 'Black Belt'
    > prototype console, from 1997
    >
    > or rather, what *would* have been the *final* 3Dfx chip used in Black
    > Belt, in 1998/1999 when the machine was to come out? ....being that
    > early prototypes often do not have the final chip but a previous
    > generation chip or incompleted next-gen chip....
    >

    > * modified custom Banshee (1x PixelFX2, 1x TexelFX2) intergrated on one
    > chip
    >
    > * modified custom Banshee2 (1x PixelFX2, 2x TexelFX2) all intergrated
    > on one chip <--- same as Voodoo3
    >

    > Sega and 3Dfx inked a contract, IIRC, in Feb 1997. Sega killed the
    > contract in July 1997.
    >
    > Banshee for PCs came out, IIRC, in 1998, and Banshee2 / Voodoo3 in 1999.
    > I am leaning towards Sega getting some version of the Banshee2 / Voodoo3.
    > but it's open for discussion & debate
    >

    > keep in mind, that Dreamcast is a seperate matter, since Dreamcast was the
    > consumer name for
    > Dural / Katana, the winning prototype console which used PowerVR2.

Graphics Cards Chip Sega Prototypes Graphics