On-Mobo video vs AGP cards for high-end 2D applications

Is there a motherboard with on-board video that can do better the best
AGP video cards for 2D applications at, say 1900x1400 setting ? I'm
thinking of Photoshop.

I'd expect that direct memorory access can be faster than an 8x AGP
slot.

Thanks

--
Al Dykes
-----------

    Al Dykes wrote:

    > Is there a motherboard with on-board video that can do better the best
    > AGP video cards for 2D applications at, say 1900x1400 setting ? I'm
    > thinking of Photoshop.
    >
    > I'd expect that direct memorory access can be faster than an 8x AGP
    > slot.

    I'm not sure what problem you think you're trying to solve. 1900x1400x32
    bits is only about ten megabytes. I don't think you can buy a new video
    board with that little RAM on it. The bandwidth of AGP 8X is such that you
    could run a little under 200 frames per second at that resolution.

    With photoshop the bottleneck is seldom anything having to do with the video
    board. It's usually limited by CPU power and available RAM, although if
    you're working with files larger than 1/5 or so of your available RAM then
    disk performance can also become an issue. Photoshop can't address more
    than 2 gig so if you have more RAM than that it might make sense to make
    part of it a RAMDISK and put the Photoshop swap file, which is different
    from the Windows swap file, on the RAMDISK.

    You might find <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/12dde.htm> to be of
    interest if you haven't already seen it.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    > Is there a motherboard with on-board video that can do better the best
    > AGP video cards for 2D applications at, say 1900x1400 setting ? I'm
    > thinking of Photoshop.
    >
    > I'd expect that direct memorory access can be faster than an 8x AGP
    > slot.

    I doubt it. Get a second hand Matrox G400 or G450 for peanuts and you will
    be more than happy. The picture quality is excellent at high resolutions.

    ss.

Graphics Cards Hardware Video Motherboards Graphics