Recommendations for long term storage?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

I've got an HP 9000 E35 and G50 that I can't get rid because I might need
them to support some old software but I don't need them sitting in my office
anymore either. So I'd like to put them in long term storage and I'm
wondering if anybody has any recommendations for things to do before boxing
them up. I've already done the obvious and backed them up. I'm going
to dump disk partition and file system info. Is there anything else
I should be doing? I may never need these things again, but if I do
I'll need to get them back up quickly.

--
Paul Keusemann pkeusem@visi.com
4266 Joppa Court (952) 894-7805

    Paul Keusemann wrote:
    > I've got an HP 9000 E35 and G50 that I can't get rid because I might need
    > them to support some old software but I don't need them sitting in my office
    > anymore either. So I'd like to put them in long term storage and I'm
    > wondering if anybody has any recommendations for things to do before boxing
    > them up. I've already done the obvious and backed them up. I'm going
    > to dump disk partition and file system info. Is there anything else
    > I should be doing? I may never need these things again, but if I do
    > I'll need to get them back up quickly.
    >
    > --
    > Paul Keusemann pkeusem@visi.com
    > 4266 Joppa Court (952) 894-7805
    > Savage, MN 55378
    Just put them away in a storage room, I have lots of Nova sitting that I
    could power up if needed, make sure you do copyutils of them as you may
    have to put in a disk if you have to relight them.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

    > I've got an HP 9000 E35 and G50 that I can't get rid because I might need
    > them to support some old software but I don't need them sitting in my office
    > anymore either. So I'd like to put them in long term storage and I'm
    > wondering if anybody has any recommendations for things to do before boxing
    > them up. I've already done the obvious and backed them up. I'm going
    > to dump disk partition and file system info. Is there anything else
    > I should be doing? I may never need these things again, but if I do
    > I'll need to get them back up quickly.

    That could be a problem if the E35 suffers from disc stiction. This been
    my experience with E45s, even after as little as a week of downtime. A spare
    disc and a, tested, bootable recovery tape might be useful.

    David Nixon -- University of Liverpool, Computer Science

    Paul Keusemann <pkeusem@visi.com> wrote:
    > I've got an HP 9000 E35 and G50 that I can't get rid because I might need
    > them to support some old software but I don't need them sitting in my office
    > anymore either. So I'd like to put them in long term storage and I'm
    > wondering if anybody has any recommendations for things to do before boxing
    > them up. I've already done the obvious and backed them up. I'm going
    > to dump disk partition and file system info. Is there anything else
    > I should be doing? I may never need these things again, but if I do
    > I'll need to get them back up quickly.

    A minor point: If the computer has a battery for the 'time-of-day'
    clock, then it will probably be dead if you have to use the system
    again. Of course you should still be able to boot up and set the
    date/time manually.

    In article <429618ab$0$18919$dbd4f001@news.wanadoo.nl>,
    Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
    >Paul Keusemann <pkeusem@visi.com> wrote:
    >> I've got an HP 9000 E35 and G50 that I can't get rid because I might need
    >> them to support some old software but I don't need them sitting in my office
    >> anymore either. So I'd like to put them in long term storage and I'm
    >> wondering if anybody has any recommendations for things to do before boxing
    >> them up. I've already done the obvious and backed them up. I'm going
    >> to dump disk partition and file system info. Is there anything else
    >> I should be doing? I may never need these things again, but if I do
    >> I'll need to get them back up quickly.
    >
    > A minor point: If the computer has a battery for the 'time-of-day'
    >clock, then it will probably be dead if you have to use the system
    >again. Of course you should still be able to boot up and set the
    >date/time manually.

    Yeah, that's one of the main things I'm concerned about. These are OLD
    machines. Right now I'm in the middle of a battle with a much newer
    Sun (Ultra 10) with dead or dying NVRAM. It won't boot if the NVRAM
    (which contains the TOD clock and they machine type) is dead. I've read
    that you can stop the clock on Sun machines which may help prevent battery
    drain, is it possible to stop the clock on an HP 9000? If not, how difficult
    is it to replace the battery?

    --
    Paul Keusemann pkeusem@visi.com
    4266 Joppa Court (952) 894-7805