Sign in with
Your question

PS3 Upscaling...Better left on or off? Personal opinion

Last response: in Video Games
20 December 2008 03:34:20

My dad has a 46 inch Bravia TV 1080p in the living room, sometimes I like to give my 32 inch 480i TV a break:p  and I go play on my dad's. As we all know, alot of games on the ps3 (360 as well) do 720p max....well atleast most of the shooters (if not all) I play.

Anyways, my question is from personal opinion...should I leave the upscale feature on off, normal or Full?

I mean the TV has 1080p, and games like mirror's edge look like a jaggy world.

Would it look more jaggy or less jaggy if I upscale....or if I leave it on default 720p?

Thanks in Advance.
20 December 2008 04:54:26

You're better off leaving 720p, 1080i, and 1080p enabled in the system settings. Unlike the Xbox 360, the PS3 does NOT have dedicated hardware for upscaling so games upscaling to 1080p will be on a by game basis. Even if the game is 720p and supports upscaling to 1080p, the difference is generally almost unnoticeable. The problem really is when games such as Little Big Planet lacks 1080i/1080p upscaling support, as you'll be forced to 480p if 720p is not enabled.
20 December 2008 06:38:03

So in my Game Settings, upscaling, should I do Off, normal or Fullscreen?

Its all really kinda stupid, considering that the ps3 has so much going for it. I use to have a 360 but after fixing it 3 times, I gave up:p 

It really sux playing with those jaggies, makes me want to go buy a 720p screen..

Does this meant that 360 can do 1080p on games not meant for? or does it just mean it can stretch all games?
20 December 2008 08:13:59

L1qu1d said:
So in my Game Settings, upscaling, should I do Off, normal or Fullscreen?

Its all really kinda stupid, considering that the ps3 has so much going for it. I use to have a 360 but after fixing it 3 times, I gave up:p 

It really sux playing with those jaggies, makes me want to go buy a 720p screen..

Does this meant that 360 can do 1080p on games not meant for? or does it just mean it can stretch all games?
The upscaling options in system settings are referring to PS1 and PS2 games. The Xbox360 will automatically upscale everything to 1080p, but just because it's upscaled doesn't mean you're going to see a massive improvement in quality. Also, I wouldn't bother downgrading to a 720p television if you already have one that supports 1080p. The issue you're probably having is that you're actually too close to your display. Despite this, you will never have a game on the Xbox 360 or PS3 that has antialiasing quality that matches what you can do with your beast of a rig.
20 December 2008 08:29:01

oh yeah for sure, but I'd like to be able to not cry while playing hahaha.

Oh so where can i actually leave it at 720p, cuz I heard it looks slightly better...Unless you disagree cuz i respect ur opinion more than what i heard.

Last stupid quesiton....why have the ps2 downscale if mine can't do ps2:p  I can see ps2 memory card 2 hahaha...:p 
Part of me thinks that the answer is...why take it out:p 

So again 720p or just don't complain and play as it is, and stay further from the tv?
20 December 2008 09:17:58

L1qu1d said:
oh yeah for sure, but I'd like to be able to not cry while playing hahaha.

Oh so where can i actually leave it at 720p, cuz I heard it looks slightly better...Unless you disagree cuz i respect ur opinion more than what i heard.

Last stupid quesiton....why have the ps2 downscale if mine can't do ps2:p  I can see ps2 memory card 2 hahaha...:p 
Part of me thinks that the answer is...why take it out:p 

So again 720p or just don't complain and play as it is, and stay further from the tv?

720p upscaled to 1080p could look better than standard 720p, but any decent TV will handle 720p flawlessly. To make a game such as GTA IV on the PS3 upscale to 1080p, you have to actually manually disable 720p and 1080i support in the display settings, but doing that will also make titles like Little Big Planet play in 480p instead of 720p. Other games like Metal Gear Solid 4, or Gran Turismo 5: Prologue will automatically output 1080p, if the resolution is available. All PS3s can play PS1 games, which is why the option is available to you, however as you said PS2 games are unsupported at the moment for all new PS3s. Upscaling is not going to make a game that is rendered in 720p natively look as though it's actually 1080p, but depending on the TV you may or may not notice an improvement in image quality.
20 December 2008 09:38:50

oh alright cool

I'll just leave it default, i mostly play Resistance 2 :p  Usually I play on my own TV which is 480i 32 inch Sony TV...so it actually looks better on my TV for most of my games. Except ofc Gran Turismo and Midnight club which support 1080p, and I believe run 1080p if I'm not mistaken.
20 December 2008 10:14:42

L1qu1d said:
oh alright cool

I'll just leave it default, i mostly play Resistance 2 :p  Usually I play on my own TV which is 480i 32 inch Sony TV...so it actually looks better on my TV for most of my games. Except ofc Gran Turismo and Midnight club which support 1080p, and I believe run 1080p if I'm not mistaken.

Gran Turismo 5 actually runs at 1280x1080 which isn't a standard resolution, but the game is rendered with a widescreen field of view. With a clever upscaling trick, they stretch the image to cover the entire 1920x1080 display, without distorting the image in any way. While this isn't TRUE 1080p, it still looks noticeably better than 720p due to the extra vertical lines of resolution. Midnight Club on the other hand is likely just 720p upscaled to 1080p. I played the 360 version and from what I saw, it looked like it was 720p but I'm not 100% sure. Resistance 2 runs at 720p I believe, although it probably supports 1080i for older HDTVs. It's likely you could force it to output at 1080p, but you'd have to use the method I mentioned in my previous post. This also works on games like Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, but in my experience there was no noticeable improvement in image quality.
20 December 2008 20:16:57

Dude ur a console Bible lol

20 December 2008 21:45:41

One thing that I noticed a great improvement on picture quality on with my PS3 was by change the other settings under the display options.

I keep my res locked at 720p as that is the res of my screen, but underneath the res option are 3 more options. The names slip my mind, but the options I change them to were: On, Full, On.

If I remember correctly. I believe they do something with the way it displays the color. I saw a very noticeable increase in the quality of CoD 4 When I changed these settings as did all of my friends, so I would recommend it. Initially CoD 4 looked much better on my 360 than on my PS3, but after I changed the settings my picture quality on both consoles was quite equal. Hope this helps ya out a bit.

Best,

3Ball
20 December 2008 23:25:42

feel free to add me if you want, L1qu1dat1on.

:) 

Play some resistance:p 

I'm still on the fence of whether I should get Cod4 or 5 for the console...since i already have both on pc.
20 December 2008 23:52:59

Get hold of a Pioneer 8th Gen 42". They can be had for cheap these days and the 720p picture quality is out of this world. Me dad just gave me his and it sh*ts all over my Samsung LE42A656 (basically the 6 series) even though it's "only" 720p. The blacks are fantastic and the picture looks incredinbly....fluid. The new 9th gen are even better but they do come at a price.
21 December 2008 00:37:28

never been a huge fan of pioneer. Its either been Sony or Samsung for me. I might be looking into a TV to replace my 480i Screen...but I don't know if I should make the jump to 1080p or just stay @ 720p....other than games, movies and some TV once in a while...the TV is just there.

I was going to do 480p for the wii...but from what I've seen getting a 480p TV is a waste....

I've also got a STACK of Dreamcasts I need to clean before getting a new tv...I think i literally Have like 15-20 Dreamcast lying around....I use to customize em with LEDs and stuff for fun...and I paid only around 10$ for each except for the Sega Sports. I use to have an R7 my dad got from Japan....but I really have no clue where he put it:S
21 December 2008 09:56:01

Question 1: Are you connecting directly to the tv or through an AV receiver? Many receivers will automatically upscale to either 1080i or 720p unless otherwise specified.

Question 2: Do any of your tvs have 120Hz enabled? I've heard of some really funky issues with upscaling and 120Hz.

Question 3: Have you done any research at AVSforum dot com? They're a great site for HD questions.
21 December 2008 10:27:34

Answer1: directly through HDMI on my dad's TV, and Component on my 480i TV

Answer2: I have no idea to be honest. Never checked. Its on w.e Bravia left it on, and what ever the PS3 sets it to (if it has any control over it like a PC does).

Answer3: No I have not, I'll give it a shot...thnx:D 
21 December 2008 10:38:26

3Ball said:
One thing that I noticed a great improvement on picture quality on with my PS3 was by change the other settings under the display options.

I keep my res locked at 720p as that is the res of my screen, but underneath the res option are 3 more options. The names slip my mind, but the options I change them to were: On, Full, On.

If I remember correctly. I believe they do something with the way it displays the color. I saw a very noticeable increase in the quality of CoD 4 When I changed these settings as did all of my friends, so I would recommend it. Initially CoD 4 looked much better on my 360 than on my PS3, but after I changed the settings my picture quality on both consoles was quite equal. Hope this helps ya out a bit.

Best,

3Ball
RGB full should be enabled and super white should be enabled as well. I'd recommend disabling the Cross color reduction filter as it is intended for use on older interlaced displays, even though it shouldn't actually effect his image at the resolution he is using.
L1qu1d said:
never been a huge fan of pioneer. Its either been Sony or Samsung for me. I might be looking into a TV to replace my 480i Screen...but I don't know if I should make the jump to 1080p or just stay @ 720p....other than games, movies and some TV once in a while...the TV is just there.

I was going to do 480p for the wii...but from what I've seen getting a 480p TV is a waste....

I've also got a STACK of Dreamcasts I need to clean before getting a new tv...I think i literally Have like 15-20 Dreamcast lying around....I use to customize em with LEDs and stuff for fun...and I paid only around 10$ for each except for the Sega Sports. I use to have an R7 my dad got from Japan....but I really have no clue where he put it:S
I'd recommend getting a 1080p display if you can afford it; while most games will only take advantage of 720p, there are some that do run at higher resolutions. Seeing as the PS3's cross media bar interface is natively 1080p, it provides a better picture quality for non-game use such as viewing images, browsing the internet, listening to music with visualizations, and last but certainly not least, watching Blu-ray movies, which all support 1080p.
L1qu1d said:
Answer1: directly through HDMI on my dad's TV, and Component on my 480i TV

Answer2: I have no idea to be honest. Never checked. Its on w.e Bravia left it on, and what ever the PS3 sets it to (if it has any control over it like a PC does).

Answer3: No I have not, I'll give it a shot...thnx:D 
I'm pretty sure the PS3 only outputs 1080p at 60Hz(or 24Hz for Blu-ray if enabled), but your TV should have no issues even if it is a 120Hz display. If it's a REALLY NEW Bravia, it might even support 240Hz, but they just recently came out and typically run for about 4 grand.
Anonymous
21 December 2008 10:44:58

Like other people have said it matter on the picture support enabled on the games. Older games for the gamecube and x-box had some games that supported high quality stereo surround sound in the past while others did not. Same with picture quality now since high scale images are not standard for all games yet.
21 December 2008 11:06:40

Heyyou27 said:
RGB full should be enabled and super white should be enabled as well. I'd recommend disabling the Cross color reduction filter as it is intended for use on older interlaced displays, even though it shouldn't actually effect his image at the resolution he is using.
I'd recommend getting a 1080p display if you can afford it; while most games will only take advantage of 720p, there are some that do run at higher resolutions. Seeing as the PS3's cross media bar interface is natively 1080p, it provides a better picture quality for non-game use such as viewing images, browsing the internet, listening to music with visualizations, and last but certainly not least, watching Blu-ray movies, which all support 1080p.
I'm pretty sure the PS3 only outputs 1080p at 60Hz(or 24Hz for Blu-ray if enabled), but your TV should have no issues even if it is a 120Hz display. If it's a REALLY NEW Bravia, it might even support 240Hz, but they just recently came out and typically run for about 4 grand.

My dad's TV is Bravia, 64 inch XBR3 I'd say like 2 yrs old or so.

Edit: Not 64....46 Inch sorry.
22 December 2008 02:31:21

L1qu1d said:
My dad's TV is Bravia, 64 inch XBR3 I'd say like 2 yrs old or so.

Edit: Not 64....46 Inch sorry.
Ah, I looked and it's definitely a 60Hz model, not that it really matters that much. As I said, I'd recommend a 1080p display if the extra cost isn't an issue.