The GoFlex Desk comes with a USB 2.0 desk adapter, but there are two alternatives for power users. You can purchase desk adapters with either eSATA or FireWire 800. The latter includes USB 2.0, making this choice rather versatile. Last but not least, there are two options for USB 3.0: one that includes only the desk adapter and another that is a full USB 3.0 upgrade kit containing a PCI Express x1 controller. This requires a modern PC with a free PCIe upgrade slot, but it allows for easy installation of two USB 3.0 ports.
We recommend the following articles to get more information on…
- USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s performance: Not All USB 3.0 Implementations Are Created Equal
- External USB 3.0 storage products: Three More External USB 3.0 Drives Benchmarked
- USB 3.0 enclosures: Portable Performance: Four USB 3.0 Enclosures For Your 2.5” Drive and USB 3.0 On A Stick: Super Talent’s RAIDDrive 64 GB
- The USB 3.0 standard: USB 3.0 Ups Peripheral Bandwidth
The FireWire 800 desk adapter currently costs $49.99, while you can get the USB 3.0 version for $39.99. Neither is cheap, but having a faster interface option is the smart way to go here. The question then becomes, if you know that the only reasonable interface to consider may be USB 3.0, what’s the price difference between a regular external USB 3.0 drive and Seagate’s FreeAgent GoFlex Desk plus the USB 3.0 adapter? This scenario makes limited sense if you already have USB 3.0 interfaces, but the USB 3.0 upgrade kit could fit just right for users willing and needing to upgrade.
- Should You Go Flex?
- The 3.5” Drives: FreeAgent GoFlex Desk (1 TB)
- GoFlex Desk Adapters
- GoFlex Desk USB 3.0 Kit
- The 2.5” Drives: FreeAgent GoFlex Ultra-portable (500 GB)
- GoFlex Upgrade Cables And Auto Backup
- GoFlex TV HD Media Player
- GoFlex Net Media Sharing Device
- AutoSync Software
- Test Setup And Interface Performance
- Benchmark Results: Read/Write Throughput
- Benchmark Results: I/O Performance
- Benchmark Results: Real-World Copy Testing
- Concurrent Reads/Writes And Access Time