How to hide icons in Windows 10
By JamieKavanagh See all their Tutorials
Icons are the primary way we interact with apps and programs installed on a computer. Unless you’re a command line geek like me, you will likely use icons every time you want to do something within Windows. Deciding what icons to display, when and where is a core facet of customizing Windows, so if you would like to hide icons in Windows 10, here are a few ways you can do it.
Hide or show notification icons on the taskbar in Windows 10
Notifications can either be a real help or a hindrance depending on how you use your computer. Fortunately, you can control exactly what is displayed.
1. Right click on the Taskbar and select Properties.
2. Select Customize next to Notification area.
3. Click the ‘Select which icons appear on the taskbar’ link. Add or remove items as you see fit.
4. Click ‘Turn system icons on or off’. Add or remove items as you see fit.
Hide or show desktop icons in Windows 10
If you want to hide all those pesky desktop icons, you can do that too.
1. Right click on an empty section of your desktop.
2. Select View and then Show desktop icons.
3. Click once to remove the tick and hide desktop icons. Click once more to restore them.
Hide or show system icons in Windows 10
You can also hide system icons such as My Computer and Recycle Bin should you wish to.
1. Navigate to Settings, Personalization and Themes.
2. Under Related Settings click the Desktop icon settings text link.
3. Select to show or hide system icons.
Personalize Windows 10 with ease with these tutorials:
How to fix the Start Menu and Taskbar in Windows 10
How to change the system language in Windows 10
How to Enable or Disable the Lock Screen in Windows 10