Apple has scored big in its long-standing legal battle against the Mac clone manufacturer, Psystar.
Business Week reports that a federal judge in San Francisco has ruled (via Groklaw) that Psystar violated Apple’s copyright as well as the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and granted Apple’s motion for summary judgment while denying Psystar’s counterclaims.
"In sum, Psystar has violated Apple's exclusive reproduction right, distribution right, and right to create derivative works," said Judge William Alsup.
The ruling comes after more than a year of legal volleyball between Apple and Psystar and, while it represents a significant victory for Apple, the case is far from over. Apple has several other claims against Psystar, each outlined in an 18-page legal document filed in July 2008. These included copyright infringement and dilution of the Apple brand. The company also alleges breach of contract and trademark infringement.
A hearing on remedies is scheduled for Dec. 14.
Read the full story here. Check out our complete coverage of the Psystar case via the links below (chronological order, of course).
- Mac Clone Psystar Slams Steve Jobs
- Apple Sues Psystar
- Apple Files 10 Claims Against Psystar
- Psystar Attorney Beats Around Antitrust Bush
- Psystar Files Anti-trust Suit Against Apple
- Apple Throws Ball Back to Psystar, Asks Judge to Throw Out Anti-Trust Suit
- Apple and Psystar to Settle Differences Out of Court
- Psystar Mac Clones Coming With Blu-ray Bags of Hurt
- Psystar Claim Against Apple Slammed
- Psystar Ditches Antitrust in Favor of Copyright Abuse
- Psystar Says Apple EULA is BS
- Judge OKs Psystar's Countersuit Against Apple
- Apple/Psystar to have Confidentiality Agreement
- Psystar Debuts New, Sleek OS X Hackintosh
- Psystar Working on OS X Hackintosh Netbook?
- Mac Cloner Psystar Files for Bankruptcy
- Psystar Owes Apple a Mysterious $75,000
- Apple Punches Through Psystar's Ch. 11 Stay
- Psystar Back in the Fight Against Apple
- Psystar Sues Apple Over Snow Leopard
- Psystar Software Will Make Your PC Run OS X