2080ti on an H170 Motherboard?

So I'm thinking about getting an 2080ti now, but I wonder if my H170 board can use all the power that the gpu has?

The reason I'm not getting a new motherboard is because I recently bought an i7 7700k and I dont want to upgrade that one until next gen intel cpus come.

Also which version of the gpu should I get? I cant fit one with 3 fans in since my maximum limit of the cards lenght is around 30cm because I have a pretty small case.

And if I'm buying a new gpu I will also need a new psu. You have any good tips on which psu I should get?

When the new cpus come I will upgrade everything else including my case.

Other specs are:
i7 7700k
16gb ram
1tb hdd 256gb ssd
Windows 10 home
450w psu

This pc was an prebuil from Lenovo that I bought summer 2017.
15 answers Last reply
More about 2080ti h170 motherboard
  1. atleast 80 PLUS BRONZE, i recomend 700 watt buy a proper one, corsair or cooler master.
    i would personally buy a 2070 or 1070ti, its a i7 which can use the 2080ti but its price is too high.
  2. offerz said:
    atleast 80 PLUS BRONZE, i recomend 700 watt buy a proper one, corsair or cooler master.
    i would personally buy a 2070 or 1070ti, its a i7 which can use the 2080ti but its price is too high.


    The price isnt really a problem for me. But youre saying there is nothing bad with using a 2080ti on a h170 motherboard?
  3. If it's a prebuilt, you may want to double check that it uses standard ATX power connectors, and the maximum size of graphics card it can fit. Also, you'll probably want it to have at least 4 case fans to support high powered parts like those.

    For PSU, I'd recommend something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y88H99/evga-supernova-g3-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0650

    There is no issue using a 2080 Ti with an H170 mobo.
  4. That 450w PSU, even if it's an excellent quality one, might not be sufficient.

    Since you have a K processor and might overclock, I'd say 650W would be quite up to the task, from a quality brand/model.

    You can't go wrong with a Seasonic.
  5. King_V said:
    That 450w PSU, even if it's an excellent quality one, might not be sufficient.

    Since you have a K processor and might overclock, I'd say 650W would be quite up to the task, from a quality brand/model.

    You can't go wrong with a Seasonic.


    Cant overclock my cpu on a h170 board anyways, and yes I know that I have to get a new Psu.
  6. TJ Hooker said:
    If it's a prebuilt, you may want to double check that it uses standard ATX power connectors, and the maximum size of graphics card it can fit. Also, you'll probably want it to have at least 4 case fans to support high powered parts like those.

    For PSU, I'd recommend something like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y88H99/evga-supernova-g3-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0650

    There is no issue using a 2080 Ti with an H170 mobo.


    Ive done the measurements, i can fit a gpu thats up to 30cm in lenght and in the other directions theres plenty of space.

    And what does standard ATX connectors look like? or what are their names or whatever?

    My case currently have 2 120mm fans and I could fit atleast one more in the front and mabye one in the top.
  7. Basically your motherboard will have a 24 pin (or 20+4) connector, as well as an additional 4 or 8 (or 4+4) pin ATX/EPS power connector. You can see what the connectors look like on the PSU end here: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#eps4plus4

    If your current PSU has the 24 and 4/8 pin connectors, then it uses standard ATX PSU connectors and you can swap it out for any regular PSU you can buy off the shelf.
  8. TJ Hooker said:
    Basically your motherboard will have a 24 pin (or 20+4) connector, as well as an additional 4 or 8 (or 4+4) pin ATX/EPS power connector. You can see what the connectors look like on the PSU end here: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#eps4plus4

    If your current PSU has the 24 and 4/8 pin connectors, then it uses standard ATX PSU connectors and you can swap it out for any regular PSU you can buy off the shelf.


    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c4ii1werjft91hg/AADEvj1RfmxYOQul3i5zBpVda?dl=0

    Here are the pictures from my motherboard connectors, I do have 24 pin connector and 4 pin, but I also have some other wierd connectors.
  9. It's normal for a motherboard to have other connectors, but there should only be those two that go to the PSU. Do the other connectors on your mobo attach to other things? There'll probably be a few that connect to the case front panel for USB/headphone jack/power switch. Some more that connect to SATA drives. Etc.
  10. TJ Hooker said:
    It's normal for a motherboard to have other connectors, but there should only be those two that go to the PSU. Do the other connectors on your mobo attach to other things? There'll probably be a few that connect to the case front panel for USB/headphone jack/power switch. Some more that connect to SATA drives. Etc.


    I cant see where they go since they go back behind the motherboard
  11. Does the motherboard have any labels printed near the connectors?

    As long as the 24 pin and 4 pin connectors are standard as they appear to be, I'm 95% sure you should be fine with any off the shelf PSU replacement.
  12. TJ Hooker said:
    Does the motherboard have any labels printed near the connectors?

    As long as the 24 pin and 4 pin connectors are standard as they appear to be, I'm 95% sure you should be fine with any off the shelf PSU replacement.


    Yeah, it said
    F_Panel Led
    F_Panel Usb
    Usb2
    Aux_fma2
  13. Idk what aux_fma2 is, but I'd say you're fine.
  14. TJ Hooker said:
    Idk what aux_fma2 is, but I'd say you're fine.


    Okay good, what 2080ti do you recommend? It has to be one with 2 fans
  15. Sorry, couldn't tell you, would have to look at reviews.
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Motherboards