Solved

Urgent help - burning smell from pc after unplugging vga cable

So, my pc died suddenly without explanation when watching a video, I tried booting, nothing happened. So I tried the psu on its own with the paperclip test, it was absolutely fine, but I noticed it only worked with the vga cable (attached to my gpu - gtx1070) unplugged. I assumed it was a motherboard or cpu problem, so I ordered a new i7 8700k and asus z370-p motherboard (as well as a hyper 212 evo cooler). Upon spending hours rebuilding it, I tried to power it on, nothing. I rechecked all wires, nothing. I remembered the vga cable to my gtx 1070 could be an issue, after unplugging it, it powered on and then within 3 seconds turned off with a rather loud sparky noise and a burning smell of plastic came from the pc. I immediately powered off before it did anything else and thats it so far. I'm really scared for what I've broken, and I really hope that it won't have damaged anything. I've no idea what the smell is coming from, No visual damage that I can see and I didn't put the thermal paste on very well. I have not touched it since.

Specs before changing parts:
zotac gtx 1070 founders' edition
i5 6500y (no short text messaging)
asus z170-a motherboard
EVGA Supernova 650g
Kingston 128gb ssd
Seagate 2tb hdd
some gigabyte wifi card
Gskill ripjaw 5 ddr4 2400 ram 2x8gb

Specs of upgrade:
zotac gtx 1070 founders' edition
i7 8700k
asus z370-p motherboard
EVGA Supernova 650g
Kingston 128gb ssd
Seagate 2tb hdd
some gigabyte wifi card
Gskill ripjaw 5 ddr4 2400 ram 2x8gb
*edit - smell seems stronger at cpu area, maybe the heatsink- Not completely sure though. cant smell anything at the back of the psu. Smell could have moved though, its been 5+minutes
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about urgent burning smell unplugging vga cable
  1. PSU is bad. Hope it didn't damage your new stuff.
  2. Best answer
    GTX1070 could be the issue. If the cable is plugged into it points to a short on it and it is still electrically connected through the slot.
  3. gasaraki said:
    PSU is bad. Hope it didn't damage your new stuff.


    The paperclip test on the psu before I bought the new parts with the vga cable was unplugged showed the psu fans span without stopping, does that always indicate its fine and not faulty? And thanks, I hope so too :(.
  4. rolli59 said:
    GTX1070 could be the issue. If the cable is plugged into it points to a short on it and it is still electrically connected through the slot.


    Should I try powering with the gpu out?
    *edit* - no burning noise or anything weird when booted without gpu plugged in. Seems like a faulty gtx 1070 then :(
  5. The system POST and you can use it without the GPU?
  6. GhislainG said:
    The system POST and you can use it without the GPU?


    Well it booted, its definitely not doing anything weird without the gpu. However I'm not getting a signal through hdmi but could be my wire. I'll find a new one. Seems like gpu was issue then with why it didn't power on.

    *Edit* - can't get a signal from hdmi attached to motherboard io.
    Edit 2 - Nevermind, display on monitor is on, now its saying getting devices ready.
  7. Thanks for all the help, gonna have a few words with the amazon support as they wouldn't let me replace the gpu a couple weeks ago even tho its still in warranty til august.
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Power Supplies PC Builds CPUs Motherboards