I7 8700 goes to 100°c

I bought a new PC yesterday with i7 8700(non OC) along with corsair h60 AIO. when I monitor the temperature using hwmonitor it shows 90°-100°c at 3.2Ghz. Are these temperatures fine?

My specs:
CPU: i7 8700
Mobo : AUROS Z370 GAMING 3
Aio : corsair h60
Ram : corsair vengeance 16gb 3000Mhz
GPU : zotac gtx 1070ti
Storage : samsung 500gb ssd and 1tb 7200
PSU : corsair cx650m
16 answers Last reply
More about 8700 100c
  1. NO.

You really need a better CPU cooler for one, the H60 is massively underpowered for a I7 8700.

Just about ANY decent air cooler will do better.

You need to take it back.
  2. 100°C is defintly not fine. The cpu will start to throttle itself for self preservation at that temp.

You have a serious problem, either the cooler is mounted improperly, the pump isn't running or the radiator has no air flow.
  3. NO.
    Not fine.
    Your processor will slow down or shut off near 100c. to prevent damage

At idle, you should see 10-15c. over ambient if your cooler is mounted properly and functioning.

Dumb question... did you remove a mylar protective shield from the bottom of the pump before mounting?
  4. jankerson said:
    NO.

You really need a better CPU cooler for one, the H60 is massively underpowered for a I7 8700.

The H60 will be fine for a 8700, it's better than the stock cooler that comes with them. Now if the OP had a 8700k and was trying to overclock then a better cpu cooler would be needed.
  5. NO! You need to shut it down ASAP before it burns up.You seem to have installed the cooler improperly
  6. bignastyid said:
    jankerson said:
    NO.

Just about ANY decent air cooler will do better and that's saying something.

The H60 will be fine for a 8700, it's better than the stock cooler that comes with them. Now if the OP had a 8700k and was trying to overclock then a better cpu cooler would be needed.

Not really it's not, I have seen the reviews, they suck very bad. None of the budget 120 AIO's are worth buying.

Even the budget air coolers are better.

Take that money they spent on the junk AIO and put it into a decent Air Cooler and have change left over and it would cool better.
  7. H60 is pretty bad for a cooler that's more than $20, but not anything like what you are seeing, something is wrong. It shouldn't be anywhere near that high. Try remounting and making sure you do it correctly. I would watch a youtube video if you have not already done so.

DO NOT remount without cleaning and applying new thermal paste.

If it is not working after you have done that the cooler is likely faulty. I would get a different cooler altogether. Whatever you payed for the H60 is way too much for the performance you get out of it.
  8. jankerson said:
    bignastyid said:
    jankerson said:
    NO.

Not really it's not, I have seen the reviews, they suck very bad. None of the budget 120 AIO's are worth buying.

Take that money they spent on the junk AIO and put it into a decent Air Cooler and have change left over and it would cool better.

I use an H60 every day on my 8700K (at stock) and have zero issues with temps. The PC runs rock stable and temps never break 80C under full load when benchmarking.
  9. jankerson said:
    bignastyid said:
    jankerson said:
    NO.

Never said it was a good value, but in fully working order it is sufficient for the cpu.
    https://hardocp.com/article/2014/11/24/corsair_h60_aio_cpu_cooling_system_update_review/3
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_h60_2013_review,8.html
  10. Ninjawithagun said:
    jankerson said:
    bignastyid said:
    jankerson said:
    NO.

I use an H60 every day on my 8700K (at stock) and have zero issues with temps. The PC runs rock stable and temps never break 80C under full load when benchmarking.

In what dreamland are you living in?
  11. The only reason to get an H60 is if you REALLY REALLY want an AIO cooler, don't have a lot of money to spend for a better AIO cooler, and you don't plan to OC very high.

It's not as good as a hyper 212 and that's a $30 cooler, it's not as good as a Cryorig H7 and that's a $35 cooler. For an AIO cooler it sucks, as a cooler in general it's insanely overpriced. But it's not absolutely terrible it still beats the stock cooler quite easily and should be fine for the 8700. This is not because it's a bad cooler.
  12. EpIckFa1LJoN said:
    The only reason to get an H60 is if you REALLY REALLY want an AIO cooler, don't have a lot of money to spend for a better AIO cooler, and you don't plan to OC very high.

It's not as good as a hyper 212 and that's a $30 cooler, it's not as good as a Cryorig H7 and that's a $35 cooler. For an AIO cooler it sucks, as a cooler in general it's insanely overpriced. But it's not absolutely terrible it still beats the stock cooler quite easily and should be fine for the 8700. This is not because it's a bad cooler.

Very weak for an AIO indeed, pathetic really.

Would be OK for an i3 or i5 if not OCing, but not much else and only if it was going to be used in an ITX build and a better cooler won't fit in the case so it would have to be a 120mm AIO.

Other than that NO WAY.

I never recommend anything under a 240mm AIO and even better a 280mm.

But then the High End Air Coolers like the NH D15 still beat most of those except for the HIGH END 280mm ones and those are expensive.
  13. @EpIckFa1LJoN & @jankerson, that will be enough of the off-topic bickering and fighting. Next one gets time off.

The ONLY acceptable response here is "I have read and understand the warning"
  14. Thanks for the quick reply.
    I'll try remounting the cooler. If the problem still persists then I'll go for an air cooler
  15. gkdboss said:
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I'll try remounting the cooler. If the problem still persists then I'll go for an air cooler

Another thing you should check for is to make sure the pump is actually working. One problem with the AIOs is you get another point of failure with the pump, if it's not working it won't cool the CPU. Something to consider if the remount doesn't fix your temps.
  16. Even if it's an entry level AIO 120mm, 100c is completely unacceptable unless you are trying to overclock. The first thing you want to do is clean, rerepaste and remount as step #1. You shouldn't need to buy an air cooler unless the AIO is defective or the pump is dead. It does happen. Check your temps in BIOS after the reinstall. Also check to see if the tubes feel warm or if water is flowing.
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel i7 Temperature Corsair Monitors