Solved

Installed ssd now hdd doesn't show up under my pc in file manager?

hey guys i just installed my samsung evo 850 500gb and cloned all my files and the os via samsungs data migration software. then i changed the sata ports to make my ssd the boot drive and everything works fine but my 1tb hdd doesnt show up anymore under my pc in file manager. it does show up in configuration panel under devices and it says that it works properly. i really need to know how i can get my hdd back in file manager because i want to delete the os and files i cloned from it and use it for mass storage off word and excel documents. (i use my ssd for os and games).

i look forward to hearing from you guys.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about installed ssd hdd show file manager
  1. Arthur Van Mullekom said:
    hey guys i just installed my samsung evo 850 500gb and cloned all my files and the os via samsungs data migration software. then i changed the sata ports to make my ssd the boot drive and everything works fine but my 1tb hdd doesnt show up anymore under my pc in file manager. it does show up in configuration panel under devices and it says that it works properly. i really need to know how i can get my hdd back in file manager because i want to delete the os and files i cloned from it and use it for mass storage off word and excel documents. (i use my ssd for os and games).

    i look forward to hearing from you guys.


    Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.
  2. USAFRet said:
    Arthur Van Mullekom said:
    hey guys i just installed my samsung evo 850 500gb and cloned all my files and the os via samsungs data migration software. then i changed the sata ports to make my ssd the boot drive and everything works fine but my 1tb hdd doesnt show up anymore under my pc in file manager. it does show up in configuration panel under devices and it says that it works properly. i really need to know how i can get my hdd back in file manager because i want to delete the os and files i cloned from it and use it for mass storage off word and excel documents. (i use my ssd for os and games).

    i look forward to hearing from you guys.


    Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.

    Where can i find this
  3. Arthur Van Mullekom said:

    Where can i find this


    Win+S
    type in Computer Management
    In there, you will see Storage - Disk Management
  4. USAFRet said:
    Arthur Van Mullekom said:

    Where can i find this


    Win+S
    type in Computer Management
    In there, you will see Storage - Disk Management

    http:// here is the screenshot it is in dutch because that is my native language but it says that my HDD is offline because off a signature collision with the ssd
  5. Really you should be removing all partitions & doing a full reformat..
    Its unuseable at present simply because you have the same drive letter as your boot drive.
    Right click on the 900gb+ partition & select the change drive letter option
    Change it to something other than C
  6. 1. What's the OS you're working with?

    2. In Disk Management, right-click the box of Disk 1 ("Schijf 1"). A sub-menu should open. Click on the Online option. Hopefully the 1 TB HDD should now be online and usable. Somehow, you and/or some program caused that secondary drive to go offline.
  7. ArtPog said:
    1. What's the OS you're working with?

    2. In Disk Management, right-click the box of Disk 1 ("Schijf 1"). A sub-menu should open. Click on the Online option. Hopefully the 1 TB HDD should now be online and usable. Somehow, you and/or some program caused that secondary drive to go offline.

    I am using Windows 10 pro 64 bit but thx i Will try it once i get home
  8. Best answer
    Hopefully that simple fix should work. Assuming it does, check to determine Drive Letter assignment have been made on the drive by the OS; if not, manually utilize DM to do so. Let us know if it all works out. If it doesn't, you'll have to do some Google research on the subject of Online - Offline drives. There can be other complex reasons that trigger this situation. But let's hope this simple fix works.
Ask a new question

Read More

Migrate SSD Hard Drives