Solved

Pc starts but black screen after startup

Hello,
I woke up today but my pc wasnt working, yesterday it worked fine but not today.
I turned it on but it gave me a black screen with no error, it only said that it was connected with a dvi cable (monitor is benq 2411z)
Also i noticed that my gpu fans were spinning for 2 seconds and then stopping for around 4 seconds, i dont know if this is weird or normal.
I tried disconnecting my GPU and connected my dvi cable straight to my motherboard, also did not work.
I also checked all the cables.
Hope you guys can help me out how to fix this or to find out what is giving me the blackscreen.
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about starts black screen startup
  1. Try removing GPU and then connecting monitor to motherboard. This will tell whether problem is related to GPU or something bigger.
  2. DRagor said:
    Try removing GPU and then connecting monitor to motherboard. This will tell whether problem is related to GPU or something bigger.

    Already done but it also doesnt work, so that means my gpu is ok? I also dont know if i have a integrated gpu in my motherboard.
  3. Ok then, list your components.
  4. DRagor said:
    Ok then, list your components.


    Cpu: Intel core i5 4460
    Gpu: R9 380x sapphire
    Memory: 8gb ram
    Power supply: 600w
    Motherboard: Msi b85-g43 gaming
  5. Yes it does have a integrated graphics. That means the problem lies deeper then GPU. First thing now would be to make sure it is not monitor or video cable that failed. Check the monitor with other machine or text another monitor/TV with yours. Try different video cable.

    Are the lights on motherboard and case/CPU fans working normally?
  6. DRagor said:
    Yes it does have a integrated graphics. That means the problem lies deeper then GPU. First thing now would be to make sure it is not monitor or video cable that failed. Check the monitor with other machine or text another monitor/TV with yours. Try different video cable.

    Are the lights on motherboard and case/CPU fans working normally?


    I tried 2 different dvi cables but none worked, i also tried a iiyama monitor but still the same issue.
    Also no light are shining in my pc, it gives no light only the power button shines but thats normal.
    Also it gives power, what i mean by that is that the usb ports still work and i can charge my phone with it.
  7. Best answer
    In this case it's internal failure of one of the components. Unplug external devices, and drives. Leave only one stick of RAM and test with it all ram slots.
  8. DRagor said:
    In this case it's internal failure of one of the components. Unplug external devices, and drives. Leave only one stick of RAM and test with it all ram slots.


    By external drivers and devices you mean mouse keyboard etc?
  9. DRagor said:
    Yes


    Thanks for the help man, will work on it further tomorrow so i will let you know if it got fixed!
  10. DRagor said:
    Yes

    Holy man!! You are the best it works now, i put out all cables and i changed t he ram slot and i only used 1! But what is the failure? What part do i need to replace?
  11. Good, at least you have it working. Now, you will have to add parts one by one, and see if it boots. Start with second stick of RAM. Then add drives, again one at a time, and at the end add peripherals. That way you will know which part causes problem.
    But it can happen it will boot all time good. In this case, it would mean one of the RAM slots on motherboard caused the problem - it could be temporary, or it could be permanent failure.
  12. DRagor said:
    Good, at least you have it working. Now, you will have to add parts one by one, and see if it boots. Start with second stick of RAM. Then add drives, again one at a time, and at the end add peripherals. That way you will know which part causes problem.
    But it can happen it will boot all time good. In this case, it would mean one of the RAM slots on motherboard caused the problem - it could be temporary, or it could be permanent failure.


    Ok man thanks! Its working now but only without cables in my pc, it starts up without cables but when i start it up and i add all the cables it works properly.
    What is causing the problem? The motherboard? Because it wont start with cables in it.
  13. lulukid said:
    Because it wont start with cables in it.


    Which cables exactly?
  14. DRagor said:
    lulukid said:
    Because it wont start with cables in it.


    Which cables exactly?


    Mouse, keyboard, wifi stick etc
  15. So, without USB things connected, it starts and POSTs, but if you connect any USB device it will not? But if you plug them after it starts, they all work? That's kind of weird. You will need to check each one of them alone, although I suspect wifi stick.
  16. DRagor said:
    So, without USB things connected, it starts and POSTs, but if you connect any USB device it will not? But if you plug them after it starts, they all work? That's kind of weird. You will need to check each one of them alone, although I suspect wifi stick.


    Thats correct but i started it up again with all cables and it worked! So thanks for fixing it and i will mark it as solved! Thanks for the help!
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Cable RAM Systems Motherboards GPUs Graphics Cards