Solved

WD4tb moved from NAS to enclosure for PC use - not appearing in File Explorer

I have upgraded the drives in my ReadyNAS 102 and want to use the old WD4tb drives as normal PC external drives. I've fitted one in an Inateck case, it is recognised and health according to Disk Management, but not appearing in File Explorer. I know I need to reformat it (the data is backed up), but how do I do this if it is not appearing in FE?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about wd4tb moved nas enclosure appearing file explorer
  1. Which exact enclosure is this as some do not work with drives over 2 or 3 TB.
    Thanks.
  2. disk manager or diskpart. it probably needs to be mounted first to show in file explorer
  3. popatim said:
    Which exact enclosure is this as some do not work with drives over 2 or 3 TB.
    Thanks.


    FE3001. Info says it can cope with up to 10tb.
  4. failboat said:
    disk manager or diskpart. it probably needs to be mounted first to show in file explorer


    How do I mount it? Beginner at this! The only options on offer when I right click the partitions in Disk Management are "Delete volume". Do I need to delete all 3 existing volumes/partitions in order to reset the drive so I can re-format it?
  5. siloperi said:
    failboat said:
    disk manager or diskpart. it probably needs to be mounted first to show in file explorer


    How do I mount it? Beginner at this!


    It's probably in ext4 file system from that nas software. you need to get it to NTFS for windows. just google how.
  6. failboat said:
    siloperi said:
    failboat said:
    disk manager or diskpart. it probably needs to be mounted first to show in file explorer


    How do I mount it? Beginner at this!


    It's probably in ext4 file system from that nas software. you need to get it to NTFS for windows. just google how.

    Googled info seems to assume I get an option to "format" when I right click. I don't!
    The only options on offer when I right click the partitions in Disk Management are "Delete volume". Do I need to delete all 3 existing volumes/partitions in order to reset the drive so I can re-format it?
  7. Best answer
    siloperi said:
    failboat said:
    siloperi said:
    failboat said:
    disk manager or diskpart. it probably needs to be mounted first to show in file explorer


    How do I mount it? Beginner at this!


    It's probably in ext4 file system from that nas software. you need to get it to NTFS for windows. just google how.

    Googled info seems to assume I get an option to "format" when I right click. I don't!
    The only options on offer when I right click the partitions in Disk Management are "Delete volume". Do I need to delete all 3 existing volumes/partitions in order to reset the drive so I can re-format it?



    Yes that's fine, assuming you have all the data you need off it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtavogXuI2A
  8. failboat said:
    siloperi said:
    failboat said:
    siloperi said:
    failboat said:
    disk manager or diskpart. it probably needs to be mounted first to show in file explorer


    How do I mount it? Beginner at this!


    It's probably in ext4 file system from that nas software. you need to get it to NTFS for windows. just google how.

    Googled info seems to assume I get an option to "format" when I right click. I don't!
    The only options on offer when I right click the partitions in Disk Management are "Delete volume". Do I need to delete all 3 existing volumes/partitions in order to reset the drive so I can re-format it?



    Yes that's fine, assuming you have all the data you need off it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtavogXuI2A


    MANY thanks Failboat! Solved!
  9. Nice Job Failboat. TY.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID External Hard Drive Explorer Enclosure