New cpu install, no display

I am trying to upgrade an old PC that I have on the cheap. Have currently a MSI 7529 motherboard that is lga775. It has an old E2200 cpu in it and I have bought a q9400 for the upgrade. I have checked and the q9400 is supported by this motherboard.

When I boot it up everything powers in but there is no display at all. No beeps for errors. When I go back to the E2200 it boots with no problem. I have upgraded to the latest bios supported for that motherboard and still the same problem. Have reset the CMOS and still no go but still no problem when switching back to the E2200. Checked the new cpu and none of the pins are bent.

Any further things I can do before determining the cpu is just not working?
8 answers Last reply
More about cpu install display
  1. I have no idea, it could be because the new chip is 95w tdp, and the old is 65w. maybe its not getting enough power. Also, try waiting awhile sometimes new CPU's take really long to post. If not try a dedicated GPU maybe that CPU doesn't support IGPU's
  2. I have dedicated gpu and onboard graphics from the motherboard. Tried both and neither are working.

    I did let it sit for a few minutes but will try and let it sit a bit longer with it on.

    The wattage is different in the two but I didn't think that would be a problem since both are rated for the board.
  3. brandonnash said:
    I have dedicated gpu and onboard graphics from the motherboard. Tried both and neither are working.

    I did let it sit for a few minutes but will try and let it sit a bit longer with it on.

    The wattage is different in the two but I didn't think that would be a problem since both are rated for the board.


    Maybe try a BIOS revision 1 version older than the newest, Maybe there's a software problem that won't work with your new chip. Also try letting it sit for about 5-10 min's I've seen them timed up to 4 mins already with a new CPU.
  4. will give it a shot for the waiting. Would rather not try to reload another version of the bios if I don't have to. It was a pain getting the new version on there but will not that as a last resort.
  5. brandonnash said:
    will give it a shot for the waiting. Would rather not try to reload another version of the bios if I don't have to. It was a pain getting the new version on there but will not that as a last resort.


    Ok, thats totally fine for a last resort. Are you sure the 7529 is the same board you have?
  6. If it doesn't POST with the latest BIOS you can try a CMOS reset after installing the new CPU. Besides that it should work with the MSI 7529 so I would send the new CPU back.

    Further diagnostic steps:

    - Uninstall all PCIe, hard drives, and case fans and try to start the PC in a minimal state. Ensure the CPU fan is connected and working.

    - Try with only 1 stick of RAM.

    - Install a speaker or POST diagnostic TEST card to determine the source of the POST failure

    - Try the processor in another machine.
  7. Tried letting it sit while on for 20+ minutes. No change.

    Will try the bios switch probably tomorrow but could there be anything else that could be fixed? Haven't really had a problem like this before and it's beyond frustrating.
  8. brandonnash said:
    Tried letting it sit while on for 20+ minutes. No change.

    Will try the bios switch probably tomorrow but could there be anything else that could be fixed? Haven't really had a problem like this before and it's beyond frustrating.


    If it doesn't POST with the latest BIOS you can try a CMOS reset after installing the new CPU. Besides that it should work with the MSI 7529 so I would send the new CPU back.

    Further diagnostic steps:

    - Uninstall all PCIe, hard drives, and case fans and try to start the PC in a minimal state. Ensure the CPU fan is connected and working.

    - Try with only 1 stick of RAM.

    - Install a speaker or POST diagnostic TEST card to determine the source of the POST failure

    - Try the processor in another machine.
    Try this
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards