Solved

Upgrading My System

If I get a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and GPU.. and reuse my current case, power supply, and storage (including my OS on my SSD)... will I essentially have just upgraded my current computer and everything still work the same yet more efficiently.

Basically, once I hook everything back up and I press that power button, will it work (as it does now) without further intervention.

Is there a step that I need to take to integrate these new pieces to my OS. (Outside of the video card drivers, i understand that much).
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading system
  1. You'll have to reinstall windows. If it's already on a hdd and if the hdd was in something else
  2. Quote:
    You'll have to reinstall windows. If it's already on a hdd and if the hdd was in something else
    Pick as the solution
    Options
    tneswick2 voted up for this answer 18 minutes ago
    m


    So the OS on my SSD was originally bought as Windows 8, then upgraded to windows 10 for free when they were launching that. I'm pretty sure I can dig up the CD for it, if I do that, will that reactivate windows and restore my whole system to what it was? Thank you for your help by the way :)
  3. Ah it may or may not if youre installing it on another system. It may activate,if you link it to your hotmail acct

    If it doesnt activate, you'll have to ring MS

    No it wont restore whatever, since you'll have to do a clean install. Which means deleting all partitions in windows setup.

    Which removes everything.

    Whatever is on the ssd now, you'll have to reinstall later
  4. Quote:
    Ah it may or may not if youre installing it on another system. It may activate,if you link it to your hotmail acct

    If it doesnt activate, you'll have to ring MS

    No it wont restore whatever, since you'll have to do a clean install. Which means deleting all partitions in windows setup.

    Which removes everything.

    Whatever is on the ssd now, you'll have to reinstall later



    So then I need to back up all my files and app data, and also I need to collect all my product keys for various programs. Then once windows installs (be it from my linked Microsoft account or if I get screwed into buying win10) get all my programs back and copy in all the app data for each one?
  5. Is this an OEM prebuilt machine? What OS does it have?
  6. Quote:
    Is this an OEM prebuilt machine? What OS does it have?


    I built the machine 3 or 4 years ago, and now I want to upgraded just about 75% of it. The OS was OEM (Windows 8).

    But it was upgraded to windows 10 for free.
  7. If it is linked to your MS account then no activation issues shouldn't occur. Record your Windows 10 license key prior to re-installation; it will be lost on formatting and your Windows 8 key will not be usable as it is void. If activation issues occur, contact Microsoft. OS reinstall strongly recommended to avoid stability issues. Upon re-installation, install all applications and drivers after running Windows Update.
  8. Best answer
    Read and do this before you change any parts:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

    That's for the licensing of your Win 10.


    A full reinstall with the new parts is still recommended, often required.
  9. USAFRet said:
    Read and do this before you change any parts:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

    That's for the licensing of your Win 10.


    A full reinstall with the new parts is still recommended, often required.


    Question: Do you think that, as this was upgraded from an OEM Windows 8, this Windows 10 install would be considered an OEM Windows 10 and thus would not allow you to carry the license over to different motherboard?
  10. jr9 said:
    USAFRet said:
    Read and do this before you change any parts:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

    That's for the licensing of your Win 10.


    A full reinstall with the new parts is still recommended, often required.


    Question: Do you think that, as this was upgraded from an OEM Windows 8, this Windows 10 install would be considered an OEM Windows 10 and thus would not allow you to carry the license over to different motherboard?



    Upgrading to Win 10 removed the original OEMness.
    It works. I've done it.
  11. Thanks everyone for all the help. I'll make sure my microsoft account is linked to my license. I'll do the full reinstall, but do I need to worry about anything on my HDD drives? The OS and some things are on my SSD, and I'll definitely back up all that, but my HDD does have some other things on it
Ask a new question