Solved

Multiple components on motherboard failing

Mobo: P8Z68 - V LE
CPU: i5 2500
RAM: 8GB(2x4GB)
GFX: GTX 970
PSU: EVGA 700B

I have a wireless and sound card in the 2 PCI slots on my board which have started to fail. The sound will just drop out and only way to fix that is by resarting. The wireless card will lose all wireless signals and can sometimes be fixed by disabling and reenabling the adaptor. When either card stops working, they are still recognized with no issues in Windows Device Manager.
I can not see anything out of the ordinary or repeating patterns in the Windows Event Logs. My drivers for board, sound and network are all up to date.
The failures are random, can be once an hour or once every 15 minutes. They can be when playing a game or the computer is idle.
This morning when turning the computer on there was no video signal and no usb devices were getting power. Took a few restarts before anything actually worked.
Is the motherboard on its way out or is it a windows issue? Anything I am overlooking here?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about multiple components motherboard failing
  1. Reinstall drivers, uninstall them, restart pc, install them.
    Reset bios.
  2. Robert Ban said:
    Reinstall drivers, uninstall them, restart pc, install them.
    Reset bios.


    Have tried the reinstalling of the drivers when I was checking my versions against the latest. Will give the bios reset a shot.
  3. roperrachelle said:
    Robert Ban said:
    Reinstall drivers, uninstall them, restart pc, install them.
    Reset bios.


    Have tried the reinstalling of the drivers when I was checking my versions against the latest. Will give the bios reset a shot.



    This is roperrachelle on partners account/computer.

    I attempted to restart the computer to reset the bios but I am now constantly getting the same problem from this morning where the computer powers on, cpu and gfx card fans are spinning but there is no power going to any usb devices and there is no display.
    I reset the bios via the cmos battery but still no change.
    Tried onboard graphics but no change either.
  4. Unplug your PC from wall, remove battery, switch psu on and press and hold power button for 30s~, reseat ram (remove and plug back in), insert battery back, switch psu off before plugging into wall and try to power it up.
    Try to plugin 8pin into CPU for power.
    Which cooler do you have for CPU?
    Does any Light blink or stay on when you turn on PC?(do it after you do by order of reading)
    If still won't boot, disconnect HDD, GPU, and every usb device and leave 1 stick of ram , and keyboard then try to boot via onboard graphics.
    Did you bend anything in USB port?
  5. Robert Ban said:
    Unplug your PC from wall, remove battery, switch psu on and press and hold power button for 30s~, reseat ram (remove and plug back in), insert battery back, switch psu off before plugging into wall and try to power it up.
    Try to plugin 8pin into CPU for power.
    Which cooler do you have for CPU?
    Does any Light blink or stay on when you turn on PC?(do it after you do by order of reading)
    If still won't boot, disconnect HDD, GPU, and every usb device and leave 1 stick of ram , and keyboard then try to boot via onboard graphics.
    Did you bend anything in USB port?


    I will give that a shot.
    Have not touched anything USB wise.
    CPU cooler I am not certain on but looks similar to the Cooler Master Hyper TX3
  6. Best answer
    Removed each piece one by one and testing for display each time, there were no changes up until I only had the 1 stick of ram in, no hdd gfx card etc. I was getting a display.
    Replugged HDD, still a display.
    Replugged extra stick of ram, no display.
    Switched between the sticks of ram in different slots but there was no consistency in what worked and what didn't.
    Both sticks of ram in, still getting a display.
    Replugged gfx card, still getting a display.
    Didn't notice anything out of the usual in terms of lights either, just the standard hdd light upon boot.

    Not sure if the problem has been isolated or not, seems to happen at random intervals and for different devices being plugged in.
  7. It could be motherboard or bad ram, if you can boot with usb i can suggest you https://www.memtest86.com/
    Boot it up from USB and let it run with both sticks.
    Without HDD or GPU, just leave keyboard and monitor.

    Can you re-flash your bios with latest and do the memtest?
  8. Robert Ban said:
    It could be motherboard or bad ram, if you can boot with usb i can suggest you https://www.memtest86.com/
    Boot it up from USB and let it run with both sticks.
    Without HDD or GPU, just leave keyboard and monitor.

    Can you re-flash your bios with latest and do the memtest?


    No problems found in the test. Initial problems still persists. Believing it's the mobo aswell. Opted to upgrade at this point.

    Thanks for your help
  9. Np. Anytime.
Ask a new question

Read More

Wireless Support Motherboards Sound Cards