Solved

choosing memory for motherboard?

Quote:
DDR4 3200(OC)+/ 2933(OC)/ 2667(OC)/ 2400/ 2133/ 1866


does this mean max memory install can only be 2400?
or
can i install higher and it sets to 2400 by default?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about choosing memory motherboard
  1. dustyoldfart said:
    Quote:
    DDR4 3200(OC)+/ 2933(OC)/ 2667(OC)/ 2400/ 2133/ 1866


    does this mean max memory install can only be 2400?
    or
    can i install higher and it sets to 2400 by default?


    This means the mobo you picked is tested up to 2400 speed, anything above that is considered an Overclock and might not work. You can install what ever memory you want, assuming it fits. It just might not be able to run at its highest speed.
  2. Best answer
    DDR4 ram runs stock at 2400 speed.
    Better quality ram can run at higher speeds, but it requires higher than the stock 1.2 volts to do so.
    Technically, that is overclocking the ram.
    It is implemented by booting to bios at stock speeds andselecting a higher speed XMP profile imbedded in higher speed ram.
    Your motherboard spec says how high the support can go.
    Also, the higher speeds may depend on the processor installed. Read the fine print for those limitations.
  3. thank you very much, if someone wouldn't mind. i am thinking of building a new machine using a msi tomahawk with a ryzen 3 1200.

    at the moment trying to decide weather i should go with one stick of 8gb or 2 sticks of 4gb. will most likely add more ram later but if 8gb most likely only add one more.

    i read some where (cant find the thread now) as more ram slots are used it actually starts slowing something done.

    also read else were (and also cant find this thread) with a video card dual channel ram is not a major increase in performance.

    the two choices i am considering are:

    http://www.crucial.com/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10151&categoryId=&productId=1739523&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10151

    http://www.crucial.com/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10151&categoryId=&productId=1737504&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10151
  4. dustyoldfart said:
    thank you very much, if someone wouldn't mind. i am thinking of building a new machine using a msi tomahawk with a ryzen 3 1200.

    at the moment trying to decide weather i should go with one stick of 8gb or 2 sticks of 4gb. will most likely add more ram later but if 8gb most likely only add one more.

    i read some where (cant find the thread now) as more ram slots are used it actually starts slowing something done.

    also read else were (and also cant find this thread) with a video card dual channel ram is not a major increase in performance.

    the two choices i am considering are:

    http://www.crucial.com/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10151&categoryId=&productId=1739523&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10151

    http://www.crucial.com/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10151&categoryId=&productId=1737504&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10151


    When you do buy it, go with what will be cheapest, DDR4 ram is really expensive right now. That Tomahawk board supports 4 sticks anyways, go with the 2 4gb sticks, you wont need more than 16gbs for games anyways.
  5. jacobweaver800 said:
    When you do buy it, go with what will be cheapest, DDR4 ram is really expensive right now. That Tomahawk board supports 4 sticks anyways, go with the 2 4gb sticks, you wont need more than 16gbs for games anyways.


    thank you,

    actually the memory i am looking at, the one stick of 8gb is cheaper than two 4gb. in the long run 16gb could be cheaper with two 8gb instead of four 4gb.

    not trying to second guess you. just try plan things out to work best with money in mind.
  6. dustyoldfart said:
    jacobweaver800 said:
    When you do buy it, go with what will be cheapest, DDR4 ram is really expensive right now. That Tomahawk board supports 4 sticks anyways, go with the 2 4gb sticks, you wont need more than 16gbs for games anyways.


    thank you,

    actually the memory i am looking at, the one stick of 8gb is cheaper than two 4gb. in the long run 16gb could be cheaper with two 8gb instead of four 4gb.

    not trying to second guess you. just try plan things out to work best with money in mind.



    I said the 4gb sticks because some motherboards prefer quad channel over dual channel, i think the Tomahawk prefers quad but I don't know for sure.
  7. Considerations:

    1. Ryzen is dual channel operation max. Regardless if 2/3/4 slots are populated.

    2. Two sticks will operate in faster dual channel mode.

    3. Adding ram later is not supported by any ram vendor. Buy the capacity you need up front.

    4. Ryzen is picky about ram. Insist on a documented compatible kit. Either from the motherboard ram QVL list or is listed as compatible for YOUR motherboard by a ram vendor.
  8. geofelt said:
    Considerations:

    1. Ryzen is dual channel operation max. Regardless if 2/3/4 slots are populated.

    2. Two sticks will operate in faster dual channel mode.

    3. Adding ram later is not supported by any ram vendor. Buy the capacity you need up front.

    4. Ryzen is picky about ram. Insist on a documented compatible kit. Either from the motherboard ram QVL list or is listed as compatible for YOUR motherboard by a ram vendor.


    I legit did not even know Ryzen was dual channel only, thx for that. Try and find a pair of 8gb sticks labeled AMD or Ryzen compatable, or find something around 3000mhz ram listed on the compatable ram list for your board.
  9. been looking and think i have narrowed done but dual channel 8gb is little to much so going to go with dual 4gb. did read that with a ryzen it is best to keep the CAS low but anything 14 is to expensive and found a 15 that is on the motherboard QVL. have one question if someone wouldn't mind. i do plan to overclock if everything goes together well.

    should the timing be same straight across?

    example:

    -DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
    -Timing 15-15-15-35
    -CAS Latency 15
    -Voltage 1.35V

    -DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
    -Timing 15-16-16-35
    -CAS Latency 15
    -Voltage 1.35V
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards DDR4 Memory