Solved

mistakenly cleaned whole harddisk while installing windows

HELP: I was installing windows and i was cleaning local disk C partition.After cleaning,I saw that the whole hard disk got cleaned and it was written there "Unallocated space 498 gb of 500 gb". Can the data be recovered.It is very important for me.Thanks
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about mistakenly cleaned harddisk installing windows
  1. Try with soe of these tools fro here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/data_recovery_233b.html just make sure that there's no writes to that disk until desired data is retrieved. Best to connect drive to another computer to do that. Either directly or by USB adapter.
    Once more, DO NOT LET ANYTHING WRITE TO THAT DISK !!
  2. dofesanket said:
    HELP: I was installing windows and i was cleaning local disk C partition.After cleaning,I saw that the whole hard disk got cleaned and it was written there "Unallocated space 498 gb of 500 gb". Can the data be recovered.It is very important for me.Thanks


    So you had a drive with data on it?
    And then you installed an OS on it, wiping the entire drive while you did this install?
    And now you want the original data back?

    1. This is unlikely to actually work. Most of it has actually been overwritten.
    2. You'll need a whole other PC to maybe try this.
    3. Possibly a partition recovery application. https://www.easeus.com/partition-recovery/index.htm

    I wouldn't count on success, though.
  3. "Unallocated space 498 gb of 500 gb" Doesn't look like OS was installed.
  4. CountMike said:
    "Unallocated space 498 gb of 500 gb" Doesn't look like OS was installed.


    If he stopped there, true.
    We shall see.
  5. USAFRet said:
    CountMike said:
    "Unallocated space 498 gb of 500 gb" Doesn't look like OS was installed.


    If he stopped there, true.
    We shall see.

    Than chances are good.
  6. USAFRet said:
    dofesanket said:
    HELP: I was installing windows and i was cleaning local disk C partition.After cleaning,I saw that the whole hard disk got cleaned and it was written there "Unallocated space 498 gb of 500 gb". Can the data be recovered.It is very important for me.Thanks


    So you had a drive with data on it?
    And then you installed an OS on it, wiping the entire drive while you did this install?
    And now you want the original data back?

    1. This is unlikely to actually work. Most of it has actually been overwritten.
    2. You'll need a whole other PC to maybe try this.
    3. Possibly a partition recovery application. https://www.easeus.com/partition-recovery/index.htm

    I wouldn't count on success, though.



    bro,I was actually cleaning local disk C but the whole disk got cleaned
    and moreover i didnt overwrite anything on it
    are there any chances
  7. Guyz I didnt installed the windows I stopped at the very time when I saw unallocated space 498 of 500 gb
    are there any chances
  8. There ar chances but how did you "clean" disk, Format, deleted partitions ?
  9. dofesanket, CountMike is asking a very imortant question set:
    Exactly what steps were taken just before you stopped the process? Data Recovery success also depends upon knowing exactly what was done by the install process just before you stopped the process.
  10. See first in while booting i opened command prompt
    then i wrote 'diskpart'
    then i wrote "list disk"
    then i wrote 'select disk 0'
    then i wrote 'select partition 0' {my local disk C}
    then i wrote 'clean'

    I am always performing setup preparations like this.

    but this time when i did like this
    after giving command 'clean'
    It came written 'cleaning disk 0'
    'cleaning completed 100%'

    after this i saw that it was written '498 of 500 gb unallocated space'
    so i stopped there because i didn't want any data loss.
    Help me guys!!
  11. There's no undelete/unformat command like it was in some DOS versions, you have to try with one of those programs suggested.
  12. Which program shall I use plz?
  13. Best answer
    Can't guarantee for any programs but you can try with something free like this: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/active_undelete.html
    and/or http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/minitool_power_data_recovery.html
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wise_data_recovery.html
    In any case, count on a loooong process. Best if you could specify types of files to recover, for instance just pictures or movies, that can speed things up.
  14. If only the MFT was, and not the data files themselves were, over-written -- data recovery will still be a long process but a much better chance for bits and pieces recovery. Piriform's Recuva, portable version, might be helpful here; of course, there are numerous other utilities to try. Required: an external, USB, media device to hold any/all recoverable files plugged in, ready to go.
  15. how much time will easeus deepscan process will take
    any idea for nearly 500 gb HDD
  16. Might be talking hours, not sure.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Partition Hard Drives