Solved

GTX 1080 founders edition for $600 worth it?

Jumped on a 1080 founder edition on best buy for around $600

Worth it?

Plus will it get bogged down by a I7 3770K 16gb ram?
37 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gtx 1080 founders edition 600 worth
  1. Now? During the crazy prices? Definitely worth it. Even if the prices weren't skyrocketing, you still got a good deal. I picked up my current 1080 Ti FTW3 for $700, that was a crazy deal. Also, I definitely think that your 3770k will bottleneck the 1080. You planning on upgrading MOBO + CPU in the near future?
  2. I was literally about to post a thread asking the same thing. I just started looking at parts a few days go and this looked like a good deal. The 1080>1070 right? Best Buy has it for $589 right now. Thinking of grabbing one.
  3. Nexrus said:
    I was literally about to post a thread asking the same thing. I just started looking at parts a few days go and this looked like a good deal. The 1080>1070 right? Best Buy has it for $589 right now. Thinking of grabbing one.


    Yes, the 1080 is superior to the 1070. $598 is a good deal for founders edition, I would pick it up. Can your PC handle it?
  4. My 1080 FTW3 was $859 :( It was priced similarly to EVGA's price at their site. $700 is insane for anything other than the reference Nvdia 1080 Ti even if mining wasn't beating GFX card prices senseless. Very nice:D Interesting to own an EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid. No upgrade for 3 years minimum. Never been in a position where a GFX card upgrade is impossible.
  5. Welp, I figured I might try for it, too, but the Best Buy website says that there's no store within 250 miles of me that has it in stock.
  6. aquielisunari said:
    My 1080 FTW3 was $859 :( It was priced similarly to EVGA's price at their site. $700 is insane for anything other than the reference Nvdia 1080 Ti even if mining wasn't beating GFX card prices senseless. Very nice:D Interesting to own an EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid. No upgrade for 3 years minimum. Never been in a position where a GFX card upgrade is impossible.


    I got super lucky with the deal I got. I spend all my free time browsing my local microcenter looking for the best deals. I picked up the card back in October, if I remember correctly.
  7. King_V said:
    Welp, I figured I might try for it, too, but the Best Buy website says that there's no store within 250 miles of me that has it in stock.


    Keep checking, often . Set up alert if possible. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3633314/upgrading-evga-geforce-gtx-1050-ftw-gaming-card.html
  8. jacobbones said:
    Jumped on a 1080 founder edition on best buy for around $600

    Worth it?

    Plus will it get bogged down by a I7 3770K 16gb ram?


    You won't notice that much of a bottleneck on the 1080. Only in heavily cpu bound games will it be noticeable.
  9. Would you be able to do 1440 144hz monitor or would the i7 3770k be a problem
  10. johnyj7657 said:
    Would you be able to do 1440 144hz monitor or would the i7 3770k be a problem



    In that case the 3770k might be giving you issues. Test the games and if you can't get the framerate you want on even the lowest settings then the cpu is the issue. You can easily see a cpu bottleneck if by lowering the graphics you don't see a fps improvement at all or very little.
  11. johnyj7657 said:
    Would you be able to do 1440 144hz monitor or would the i7 3770k be a problem



    1440p at 144Hz ultra is a territory I like to keep for 1080 Ti. Refresh rate and FPS should be as close as possible. 1440p is easy for a 1080 but 144FPS constant isn't. At reduced settings it will be. Ultra isn't happening with resource hungry titles. 3770 will be fine.
  12. So should I cancel the dell s2716dg 1440 monitor I ordered? Or do I still want 1440 resolution?
    Best monitor I have now is a 1080p 60hz

    Also just FYI there was never any instock alert or anything and it didn't show up on nowinstock I just was bored and looked and bestbuy had add to cart button on the 1080. So these in stock sites may not be as accurate as we think.
  13. jacobbones said:
    So should I cancel the dell s2716dg 1440 monitor I ordered? Or do I still want 1440 resolution?
    Best monitor I have now is a 1080p 60hz

    Also just FYI there was never any instock alert or anything and it didn't show up on nowinstock I just was bored and looked and bestbuy had add to cart button on the 1080. So these in stock sites may not be as accurate as we think.


    Your choice. I'd keep it.
  14. Well I want the monitor as long as it will offer an increase over a 1080 60hz.

    Kinda confusing as to what people are saying. It will offer better framerate/resolution?
  15. I don't know where you live, but I just checked fourteen zip codes in five different states, and not a single one of them showed any stock within 250 miles of any of those zip codes. Since those cards show as Store Pickup only, I really doubt there is any actual availability on them and if there is, and you can order them online, you'd better jump fast because there won't be within minutes or hours.
  16. I ordered the card this morning for shipping. Just got lucky playing on tablet and added to cart.

    Trying to determine now about the monitor I ordered if keep or not
  17. Unless you got a really good deal on that monitor, and I don't know what you paid for it, you can probably get a better one for less.

    Indications are that black and contrast, as well as viewing angles, are not terrific on that unit.

    There are certainly worse displays you could end up with, even pay more for, but potentially you could do better.

    It's not a BAD monitor by any means, based on specs and reviews.


    1440p/144hz on a GTX 1080 should not be a problem for the most part as long as you don't insist that you have to have ultra settings on every game. Most games, it should not be a big problem. There will certainly be some games though that you'll have to turn some things like hairworks down on, or drop to a very high preset. Overall, I think you're biggest resource problem will be the CPU.

    Maintaining frame rates, especially if you have to drop some settings, might not be the easiest thing to do with a 6 year old CPU. Certainly it will work. But I wouldn't expect the same performance you'd see from a newer CPU even with the GPU card cranked up to Ultra to reduce the load off the CPU. There is a potential for some issues there if you're trying to maintain 144fps.
  18. Paid $480 for the monitor. Seems like I hear 10 guys saying its great than another saying its not so great. Every monitor seems to have the same good and bad. So ill try it see what happens

    I was originally planning on a build but the GPU market put a stop to that then I was on the fence about a prebuilt dell but wasn't sure I wanted a dell. Had everything I wanted and a 1080 card for less than a build with current pricing.

    Just happened upon a reasonably priced 1080 card so now I could do the build and end up at same price point as a prebuilt but have things setup the way I want

    My plan is to try out the card on my current machine. Do a little research and OC it a bit and see what that gets me and if I get good results ill wait and if I don't ill buy the new CPU/MoBo.
  19. Best answer
    I didn't say it was not great, I simply said there were likely to be models available that do not have the same concerns with black and contrast or viewing angles, as what I see for that monitor based on professional reviews.

    Quote:
    Color accuracy is middling at 3.01, where a lower score is better, and a score under one is best. Once again, the Acer and Asus both beat out the Dell with scores of 1.61 and 2.17 respectively.

    The Dell only produces 93 percent of the sRGB spectrum, which might sound like a lot — but even cheap displays typically reach into the high 90s, and both 1440p gaming monitors mentioned above produce 100 percent right out of the box. AdobeRGB coverage is 69 percent, while the Asus and Acer both reach the high 70s.

    Gamma is too low, coming in at 2.0 instead of an ideal 2.2, which is perhaps the worst problem. Low gamma means the middle tones of the image are rendered too brightly, which in turn causes a number of issues that are detrimental to the viewing experience. Colors are muted, contrast is poor, and black levels aren’t as deep as they should be. Gamma is the only area where the Dell really falls behind its competitors, but it drags the screen down, producing a lifeless viewing experience.


    https://www.digitaltrends.com/monitor-reviews/dell-s2716dg-review/


    https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/6464/11/dell-s2716dg-review-a-dell-gaming-monitor-conclusion


    Overall, it is a good monitor, although, being a TN panel you cannot expect it to have the same visual qualities and viewing angles as a similarly spec'd IPS, which for most is ok. I'm sure you'll be perfectly happy with it, I had only wanted to point out that if those things were concerns for you, there might be better options. If not, then it is not a concern.
  20. I tried to buy that same one at Best Buy but it's not available in my area. I called them and they said it cannot be ordered.
    But yeah, with these crazy prices it's a deal.
  21. jacobbones said:
    Jumped on a 1080 founder edition on best buy for around $600

    Worth it?

    Plus will it get bogged down by a I7 3770K 16gb ram?
  22. Yes and yes.
  23. Well card was to be delivered today but got lucky again. Playing around on nowinstock amazon had a preorder for a evga 1080ti SC for $800 so I of course ordered that supposed to ship couple days.

    Had the 1080 held at ups hub and if the 1080ti ships ill refuse delivery on it.
  24. jacobbones said:
    Well card was to be delivered today but got lucky again. Playing around on nowinstock amazon had a preorder for a evga 1080ti SC for $800 so I of course ordered that supposed to ship couple days.

    Had the 1080 held at ups hub and if the 1080ti ships ill refuse delivery on it.


    Nice :) I purchased the EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid for $859.....
  25. Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($639.99 @ Newegg)

    Fps is all about the cpu, resolution is all on the gpu. If you are at 1080p/ 1440p/ 4k 60Hz, you'll not bog down a 3770k worth measuring. If trying for 144/165Hz then you could run into some issues during the most intense cpu games, but that's true of any cpu.
  26. Karadjgne said:

    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($639.99 @ Newegg)

    Fps is all about the cpu, resolution is all on the gpu. If you are at 1080p/ 1440p/ 4k 60Hz, you'll not bog down a 3770k worth measuring. If trying for 144/165Hz then you could run into some issues during the most intense cpu games, but that's true of any cpu.


    Partspicker lied:( Sold out over here. $140 over MSRP isn't good anyways. The G1 is one that I was looking at while I was saving and deciding which upgrade(s) were needed. It is $499 normally.
  27. Karadjgne said:

    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($639.99 @ Newegg)

    Fps is all about the cpu, resolution is all on the gpu. If you are at 1080p/ 1440p/ 4k 60Hz, you'll not bog down a 3770k worth measuring. If trying for 144/165Hz then you could run into some issues during the most intense cpu games, but that's true of any cpu.


    My plan is to see how it performs with my current system and if I cant get good performance then upgrade the cpu to a i7 8700 K and be good to go a few more years.
  28. core0 said:
    Now? During the crazy prices? Definitely worth it. Even if the prices weren't skyrocketing, you still got a good deal. I picked up my current 1080 Ti FTW3 for $700, that was a crazy deal. Also, I definitely think that your 3770k will bottleneck the 1080. You planning on upgrading MOBO + CPU in the near future?


    A 3770k won't bottleneck a 1080 especially when overclocked.
  29. IPC hasn't changed that much since Ivy-Bridge, the 3770k will be fine.
  30. That s a pretty good buy considering the current GPU market. That CPU won't bottleneck unless you're playing something that is way too CPU intesive. I've been doing pretty well with a 4670K using a GPU similar to yours and I haven't come that close to bottlenecking yet, so you should be fine.
  31. Whoa, this isn't easy.

    Tried to grab a 1080Ti Founders Edition - from Nvidia directly.

    Clicked Add To Cart, and it was there. Then clicked Check Out. And it was gone, and sold out.

    Literally gone faster than I could manage the mouse clicks to complete the purchase. *smh*
  32. King_V said:
    Whoa, this isn't easy.

    Tried to grab a 1080Ti Founders Edition - from Nvidia directly.

    Clicked Add To Cart, and it was there. Then clicked Check Out. And it was gone, and sold out.

    Literally gone faster than I could manage the mouse clicks to complete the purchase. *smh*


    The day after I purchased my EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Hyrbrid(120mm AIO + a dedicated VRM fan and heatsink) it went up $400. Any other time and it'd hurt more than it does now. With the prices so high I appreciate what we had a little more.
  33. Round 2 - Nvidia had everything in stock. Tried to get the 1080Ti. Literally went through every step (cart, enter credit card info, etc) up to the very final part.. then out of stock.

    Back to store page, and everything was sold out except for the 1080. I hesitated, which, in and of itself, probably should've been the nail in the coffin. But, voila! Would up with a Founders Edition 1080 at MSRP. With sales tax, that came to slightly under $600.

    We are talking literally under 5 minutes from the time I got the alert until this. I think I just barely made it under the wire.

    In hindsight, I'm not sure why I aimed for 1080/1080Ti, as I'd originally planned on a 1070, which would probably struggle a little on my monitor's native resolution (3840 x 1600), but would've been a huge improvement over my existing card. Then I'd have bought one of Nvidia's next generation cards, and movd the 1070 to my son's system (2560 x 1080 monitor).

    Any which way, though, I somehow managed to luck into this. And, I swear, even with alerts, it really feels FAR more like luck is all it boils down to.

    I'll say this much - the Founders Edition box/packaging is definitely on the fancy side. I'd still rather have gone for more mainstream packaging, and skipped on the $50 premium. OTOH, in today's insane market, this is still almost a steal.
  34. King_V said:
    Round 2 - Nvidia had everything in stock. Tried to get the 1080Ti. Literally went through every step (cart, enter credit card info, etc) up to the very final part.. then out of stock.

    Back to store page, and everything was sold out except for the 1080. I hesitated, which, in and of itself, probably should've been the nail in the coffin. But, voila! Would up with a Founders Edition 1080 at MSRP. With sales tax, that came to slightly under $600.

    We are talking literally under 5 minutes from the time I got the alert until this. I think I just barely made it under the wire.

    In hindsight, I'm not sure why I aimed for 1080/1080Ti, as I'd originally planned on a 1070, which would probably struggle a little on my monitor's native resolution (3840 x 1600), but would've been a huge improvement over my existing card. Then I'd have bought one of Nvidia's next generation cards, and movd the 1070 to my son's system (2560 x 1080 monitor).

    Any which way, though, I somehow managed to luck into this. And, I swear, even with alerts, it really feels FAR more like luck is all it boils down to.

    I'll say this much - the Founders Edition box/packaging is definitely on the fancy side. I'd still rather have gone for more mainstream packaging, and skipped on the $50 premium. OTOH, in today's insane market, this is still almost a steal.


    The normal price for a 1080 is $499. The Gigabyte G1(aka Windforce) started out at $499 but I'm not sure about Nvidia's stock card pricing with the 1080. However we aren't in Kansas anymore so that isn't a possibility. Scoring a 1070 takes more than $600($379 originally) and usually more. I'm glad you found this diamond.

    What sort of FPS increase was there and which card did you have originally?
  35. aquielisunari said:


    The normal price for a 1080 is $499. The Gigabyte G1(aka Windforce) started out at $499 but I'm not sure about Nvidia's stock card pricing with the 1080. However we aren't in Kansas anymore so that isn't a possibility. Scoring a 1070 takes more than $600($379 originally) and usually more. I'm glad you found this diamond.

    What sort of FPS increase was there and which card did you have originally?


    Yep, that sounds right - the Founders 1080 is $549.99, and in those rare moments when Nvidia gets their cards in stock, they strictly stick to MSRP price for the Founders cards.

    Shipping was free, but sales tax brought it to $587.80.

    I had previously had a Gigabyte Windforce OC R9 285. That was great at 1920x1080, but when I moved to a 3840x1600 monitor, it struggled. I don't even play the most up to date games (Black Mesa, Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel, etc), but I could barely get 30fps in Borderlands 2 with the R9 285, and the fans would definitely rev up. Even in a simpler game like Don't Starve, it couldn't necessarily maintain 60fps at that resolution. FreeSync kept things smooth, though. This monitor has FreeSync in the 48-75 range.

    I only got the new PSU and the 1080 installed last night, so I just did a quick test. Maximum details for all settings in Black Mesa and Borderlands 2, vsync on, and it never twitched even slightly off of 60 fps. Performance of the 1080 I already knew was so far beyond the R9 285 that there's really no comparison.

    If I were to go with the latest AAA titles, I figure I would have some performance issues, based on what the reviews say about running at 4K. However, I have a slight edge in that my resolution is really about only 75% of the pixels that a full 4K monitor has.

    Can't say I'm disappointed, but I've only had maybe a half hour to play with it so far.

    My ONLY nitpick would be to say "Come on, Nvidia. Support FreeSync."
  36. King_V said:
    aquielisunari said:


    The normal price for a 1080 is $499. The Gigabyte G1(aka Windforce) started out at $499 but I'm not sure about Nvidia's stock card pricing with the 1080. However we aren't in Kansas anymore so that isn't a possibility. Scoring a 1070 takes more than $600($379 originally) and usually more. I'm glad you found this diamond.

    What sort of FPS increase was there and which card did you have originally?


    Yep, that sounds right - the Founders 1080 is $549.99, and in those rare moments when Nvidia gets their cards in stock, they strictly stick to MSRP price for the Founders cards.

    Shipping was free, but sales tax brought it to $587.80.

    I had previously had a Gigabyte Windforce OC R9 285. That was great at 1920x1080, but when I moved to a 3840x1600 monitor, it struggled. I don't even play the most up to date games (Black Mesa, Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel, etc), but I could barely get 30fps in Borderlands 2 with the R9 285, and the fans would definitely rev up. Even in a simpler game like Don't Starve, it couldn't necessarily maintain 60fps at that resolution. FreeSync kept things smooth, though. This monitor has FreeSync in the 48-75 range.

    I only got the new PSU and the 1080 installed last night, so I just did a quick test. Maximum details for all settings in Black Mesa and Borderlands 2, vsync on, and it never twitched even slightly off of 60 fps. Performance of the 1080 I already knew was so far beyond the R9 285 that there's really no comparison.

    If I were to go with the latest AAA titles, I figure I would have some performance issues, based on what the reviews say about running at 4K. However, I have a slight edge in that my resolution is really about only 75% of the pixels that a full 4K monitor has.

    Can't say I'm disappointed, but I've only had maybe a half hour to play with it so far.

    My ONLY nitpick would be to say "Come on, Nvidia. Support FreeSync."


    Nice:D Very nice. Some think it's time to ditch the higher end Ivy Bridge and Haswell processors. They're over 3 years old so it's time to upgrade. As we've noticed they can still handle high end gaming with ease. When we do finally upgrade our board, RAM and CPU there will most certainly be a significant boost in performance but for now my rig with its 4690K still meets and exceeds my needs.
  37. aquielisunari said:

    Nice:D Very nice. Some think it's time to ditch the higher end Ivy Bridge and Haswell processors. They're over 3 years old so it's time to upgrade. As we've noticed they can still handle high end gaming with ease. When we do finally upgrade our board, RAM and CPU there will most certainly be a significant boost in performance but for now my rig with its 4690K still meets and exceeds my needs.


    Well, my son's computer at his mom's house is an i5-2320, 8GB RAM, running with a GTX 660Ti 3GB, gaming on a 1920x1080 screen (60Hz, it's a TV)

    The computer I just stuck the 1080 in has 16GB of DDR3 RAM, and has an i5-4460.

    I think only on the bleeding edge stuff will the older generations of Intel CPUs, back to even Sandy Bridge, have any real trouble.

    I keep thinking about getting a newer system - but then I remind myself that my CPU has never held me back thus far. I might still get a Coffee Lake or Ryzen, but only if I stumbled across some insanely great deal. But then it would just be bragging rights, and not need.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx Graphics Cards Best Buy Nvidia