Solved

I’m upgrading what to choose?

With the latest news of Intel processors suffering performance loss due to a kernel exploit I was wondering which cpu you would recommend as an upgrade?

I’m currently running a 4790k and was planning on upgrading to the 7700k but now I’m having to look at AMD and was wondering if the 1800x would be better?
Reply to devil.dylan
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading choose
  1. 7700k is definitley a good choice it is slightly better than the 1800x in gaming but not by much. What will you be using it for?
    Featuring 8 cores the 1800x is great for multi tasking, if that's what you will be doing?
    Reply to furkan68k18
  2. furkan68k18 said:
    7700k is definitley a good choice it is slightly better than the 1800x in gaming but not by much. What will you be using it for?
    Featuring 8 cores the 1800x is great for multi tasking, if that's what you will be doing?


    Yeah I'm mainly looking for gaming increase in performance, although with all the fiasco of the current gen processors being exploited I may just look into getting a new GPU haha
    Reply to devil.dylan
  3. devil.dylan said:
    Yeah I'm mainly looking for gaming increase in performance

    For gaming performance increase upgrade of cpu will not help much.
    What gpu are you using? Probably that one requires an upgrade.
    Reply to SkyNetRising
  4. SkyNetRising said:
    devil.dylan said:
    Yeah I'm mainly looking for gaming increase in performance

    For gaming performance increase upgrade of cpu will not help much.
    What gpu are you using? Probably that one requires an upgrade.


    Currently have a GTX 1080 which is why I was going to upgrade the rest of my system, man haha would just be to a GTX 1080ti if anything.
    Reply to devil.dylan
  5. Well if you have the 1080, then to increase gaming performance you would want to upgrade cpu, what is your budget?
    Reply to furkan68k18
  6. furkan68k18 said:
    Well if you have the 1080, then to increase gaming performance you would want to upgrade cpu, what is your budget?

    About £800, was going to get the 7700k, z270h motherboard and 16gb ddr4 RAM and was hoping it would be a nice complete system.
    Reply to devil.dylan
  7. Yep that should be good, what PSU do you have, have you made sure that it will be enough to power this combo?
    Reply to furkan68k18
  8. furkan68k18 said:
    Yep that should be good, what PSU do you have, have you made sure that it will be enough to power this combo?


    I have a Corsair 750w power supply so I'm sure it should be enough. I've checked it all in PC part-picker with no conflicts and it says it is enough power :)
    Reply to devil.dylan
  9. Best answer
    devil.dylan said:
    furkan68k18 said:
    Yep that should be good, what PSU do you have, have you made sure that it will be enough to power this combo?


    I have a Corsair 750w power supply so I'm sure it should be enough. I've checked it all in PC part-picker with no conflicts and it says it is enough power :)


    Great, well good luck!
    Reply to furkan68k18
Ask a new question Answer