Computer freezes constantly. Please help

Hi, so I'm still fairly new to pc building. I bought a PC in Best Buy in 2016 which I know is almost always a rip off for what your getting, but after watching a lot of videos on how to build a PC and after I saved enough money I decided to upgraded first I upgraded my processor a few month before Ryzen came to an AMD FX-8350 Eight-core processor(Link:https://goo.gl/NsRQ8c) then I noticed I needed a new motherboard(Link:https://goo.gl/5fLND6) for that so I bought it and installed. After a few month and I had enough money I bought a Gigabyte Gtx Nvidia 1050ti(Link:https://goo.gl/QxMynA) and I noticed that I needed a Powe Supple with a 6-pin connector so I bought a SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze EVO Edition 520W(Link:https://goo.gl/dGXmq7). I have 2 4gb sticks and a 1 TB hard drive

After I finally fixed all the mistakes and need to complete my PC upgrading process, but shortly after I finally installed my GPU I started to notice some little freezes or slowdowns but I didn't give it much though because I was finally done and I didn't want any more problems. I now know that I have a bottleneck but I did some research and I know that bottlenecks don't cause the freezing.

I've done research and some possible problem that I've looked and could have are that my CPU gets hot when playing games or doing anything that is high demanding and this started since I installed the GPU. My theory is that the GPU makes the airflow worse for the CPU but I don't know. Important to mention that most of the time my computer freezes while using Chrome and it has frozen only once when playing games. One is to maybe change the thermal paste to get better cooling, but some people said that it isn't necessary. I've been thinking to maybe get a better CPU fan or more fans but I would like to know if that's the problem because I'm really trying to spend the least of money as possible. I don't think viruses are a problem because I do check often with my antivirus and my computer is good so far.

Help would be highly appreciated and if anyone needs more information about my system or about anything else I will be checking this every day to answer as fast as I can

I think that the problem here is probably the CPU and if is please tell me how to make the cooling better or if I have to buy or change any component
32 answers Last reply
More about computer freezes constantly
  1. Might be a high load for the CPU, 8gb isnt much ram these days, you might have stuff overloading it. Check task manager
  2. +1 @saturnity. could just be bad ram or too little ram.
  3. Thanks for the replies but what should I check for in the task manager?
  4. torostrong said:
    Thanks for the replies but what should I check for in the task manager?


    In Task Manager on the Processes tab, you will see 4 columns to the right. CPU/Memory/Disk/Network. Clicking on either one will bring up all the tasks in a descending order of their usage as a percentage.

    When the freezing starts click on CPU, take note of any suspicious tasks taking up an usual amount of power. Repeat this for RAM & Disk.

    To check temperatures if you are concerned about the cooling performance download Speccy: https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download
    Tell us the temps of the CPU and GPU.

    When you installed all your new components did you do a fresh install of Windows? And did you install up to date drivers?
  5. I didn't do a fresh install. And I'm sure I have all the GPU drivers because I have the Nvidia stuff, but for the mother and CPU can I just go to their webpages and find the drivers? And would the suspicious processes be a virus(es)?

    Thanks for all the help!
  6. Shortly after seeing this y computer froze a little, but it wasn't a total freeze where I have to restarts the PC. I get both of this freezes. But when it froze I noticed something called system interrupts
  7. Also sometimes my disk goes to 100% could that be the problem? I have 2 monitors if anyone think that's important to know
  8. xniosy said:
    torostrong said:
    Thanks for the replies but what should I check for in the task manager?


    In Task Manager on the Processes tab, you will see 4 columns to the right. CPU/Memory/Disk/Network. Clicking on either one will bring up all the tasks in a descending order of their usage as a percentage.

    When the freezing starts click on CPU, take note of any suspicious tasks taking up an usual amount of power. Repeat this for RAM & Disk.

    To check temperatures if you are concerned about the cooling performance download Speccy: https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download
    Tell us the temps of the CPU and GPU.

    When you installed all your new components did you do a fresh install of Windows? And did you install up to date drivers?

    Can I do a fresh install without losing date because it would really be a pain to save all the files on a USB Drive and reinstall all the programs and games
  9. yes you can. just download the tool right here to your desktop and let it run. you can still use your comptuer while its installing. just be sure you selected "keep files and apps". and it will prompt you for a restart. you may or may not need to reinstall some of your drivers from your motherboards site.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

    but best to backup your data. reboot and load your USB UEFI windows installer to delete all partitions, format. install. and reinstall all drivers from your motherboard for the 100% clean slate :D make sure its ONLY your system drive its plugged in tho. remove all other drives during this operation.
  10. marksavio said:
    yes you can. just download the tool right here to your desktop and let it run. you can still use your comptuer while its installing. just be sure you selected "keep files and apps". and it will prompt you for a restart. you may or may not need to reinstall some of your drivers from your motherboards site.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

    but best to backup your data. reboot and load your USB UEFI windows installer to delete all partitions, format. install. and reinstall all drivers from your motherboard for the 100% clean slate :D make sure its ONLY your system drive its plugged in tho. remove all other drives during this operation.


    Thank you very much
  11. I wouldnt install over windows, if the drivers for the old system are on the same hdd

    Do a clean install
  12. Paul NZ said:
    I wouldnt install over windows, if the drivers for the old system are on the same hdd

    Do a clean install

    I will try doing it without losing the data and if the problem persists I will do a clean install
  13. Hi, thanks for all the help. I did the fresh installation without losing data but it didn't seem to work too well so I barely did the clean install, but I think that it didn't solve the problem. I will update my situation if it seems to work.
  14. Wipe it completely. If you install windows in windows that wont fix it
  15. I did I'm actually installing programs and all. Shortly I will transfer the files I saved in the USB to the PC
  16. If you did this

    I did the fresh installation without losing data

    Thats not a clean install. A clean install you delete all partitions then start again.

    If you copied programs to flash drive, they wont work after you copy them back to the hdd
  17. Ok, so I did the installation without losing first and after seeing it didn't work I did a clean installation. I lost my data
  18. After a performing a clean installation of Windows. Download all the latest drivers (do not use one of those automated programs for it). You will not be able to use your computer properly unless you've done this initial step.
  19. xniosy said:
    After a performing a clean installation of Windows. Download all the latest drivers (do not use one of those automated programs for it). You will not be able to use your computer properly unless you've done this initial step.

    Hi, so for I now have the Gforce experience for the GPU drivers and updated the audio drivers, BIOS and some others. Can you think of any other drivers I need for other things?
  20. Go to your motherboards driver page and download all the necessary drivers from there. Most important is chipset and the others like audio/LAN. You will be ok if you have all of those and any additional ones like WiFi Adapter, headset... If you use those things.

    You can check in Device Manager and look for any yellow warning triangles.
  21. This is my Mother Board page (http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-970A-DS3P-rev-2x#support-dl) I installed the BIOS and I think the audio driver updated too when I installed the appcenter. Can someone else tell me what I need to download/install now?
  22. Chipset drivers. You dont need the utils. All they'll do is crash your system

    If you installed Windows 10 and it installed audio, lan drivers, there's no need to install them
  23. Paul NZ said:
    Chipset drivers. You dont need the utils. All they'll do is crash your system

    If you installed Windows 10 and it installed audio, lan drivers, there's no need to install them

    The problem is that there are no chipset drivers for Windows 10 64-bits. Should I install one anyway?
  24. You cant if there are no chipset drivers. Which maybe a problem later

    Unless they're on the AMD site
  25. Paul NZ said:
    You cant if there are no chipset drivers. Which maybe a problem later

    Unless they're on the AMD site
    \]
    I think I found it on amd's site, but I don't know the amd series(Like AMD series 9-series chipset, AMD 8-series chipset and so on) chipset for my amd 8350 processor. Does anybody know it?
  26. According to the Amazon link you gave for the mobo

    Chipset: North Bridge AMD 970 & South Bridge AMD SB950
  27. Paul NZ said:
    According to the Amazon link you gave for the mobo

    Chipset: North Bridge AMD 970 & South Bridge AMD SB950

    So it would be an AMD 9-series right?
  28. Ah I think so or AMD 900 series?

    I've never built an AMD system, so I maybe wrong
  29. Paul NZ said:
    Ah I think so or AMD 900 series?

    I've never built an AMD system, so I maybe wrong


    Ok
  30. Hey, guys after the I formatted my computer and installed all the latest drivers everything looked fine for a while. At first, I started noticing little minor freezes, but now they are more severe. I've noticed that for some reason it only happen in Chrome which is the program I use the most and that is maybe why I only notice it there. Can this be the issue? Is there any way to fix? Or should I use another browser?
  31. Turn off Amd turbo boost in BIOS. This might help.
  32. Saturnity said:
    Might be a high load for the CPU, 8gb isnt much ram these days, you might have stuff overloading it. Check task manager


    Hi, I don't know if any of you guys will still read this, but I think I know why my computer freezes. I think is the RAM because if I go to system it says that only 3.86 GB out of my 8GB of RAM is usable. I will appreciate if anyone can tell how to fix this.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooling Components problem freezing CPUs slow computer