Solved

Bios Replaced, Stuck in boot loop

So i have a z170 asus pro gaming motherboard and I recently did a bios update and turns out i leaped to far and it crashed my bios. It will turn on all the fans and everything but didnt post. Yes i tried asus flash utility and no luck. So I ordered a new bios chip with the latest bios on it online and just installed it. Now instead of not posting it is stuck in a boot loop. It turns on for a second, everything lights up and fans spin, as soon as the hard drive spins up it shuts down and restarts. I tried taking out a stick of ram, no luck. I tried taking out the motherboard battery for 60 seconds, no change. I think i am a lot closer with this new chip though, I at least see an effort from my computer to boot
Reply to Alex_124
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bios replaced stuck boot loop
  1. Can you enter the BIOS?
    Reply to rocktalkrock
  2. rocktalkrock said:
    Can you enter the BIOS?


    Nope its black screen both ways, and with the new chip it restarts before a post would even show
    Reply to Alex_124
  3. Have you watched the Q-LED's on your motherboard as the computer boots? They are located just above the 24-pin power connector.

    https://3dnews.ru/assets/external/illustrations/2015/09/16/920312/sm.38_asZ170ProG_led_big.800.jpg

    * four Q-LEDs *
    BOOT (green), VGA (white), DRAM (yellow), CPU (red) - only lit during hardware-fault conditions.
    Reply to rocktalkrock
  4. rocktalkrock said:
    Have you watched the Q-LED's on your motherboard as the computer boots? They are located just above the 24-pin power connector.

    https://3dnews.ru/assets/external/illustrations/2015/09/16/920312/sm.38_asZ170ProG_led_big.800.jpg

    * four Q-LEDs *
    BOOT (green), VGA (white), DRAM (yellow), CPU (red) - only lit during hardware-fault conditions.


    Yes that left cpu led turns on and stays on until it reboots. The light is off with the old bios chip however.
    Reply to Alex_124
  5. Alex_124 said:
    rocktalkrock said:
    Have you watched the Q-LED's on your motherboard as the computer boots? They are located just above the 24-pin power connector.

    https://3dnews.ru/assets/external/illustrations/2015/09/16/920312/sm.38_asZ170ProG_led_big.800.jpg

    * four Q-LEDs *
    BOOT (green), VGA (white), DRAM (yellow), CPU (red) - only lit during hardware-fault conditions.


    Yes that left cpu led turns on and stays on until it reboots. The light is off with the old bios chip however.

    What made you decide the old BIOS update failed and you needed a new BIOS chip?
    Reply to rocktalkrock
  6. Alex_124 said:

    Yes that left cpu led turns on and stays on until it reboots. The light is off with the old bios chip however.


    This leads to a question: what CPU you have, and what BIOS version the chip has? If you have KabyLake CPU and BIOS on chip is older version, this could be the cause of such behavior.
    Reply to DRagor
  7. So i have an Intel skylake 6600k and idk what bios version i had prior but its at least 2 years old and when i flashed the BIOS it blacked screened stuck for 30 min until I decided it wasn't working.
    I did some research and apparently i jumped too far in the bios updates and there was some sort of install i was supposed to do prior.
    I reseated the cpu and cables just as a sanity check saw no issues. I took out my gpu am just trying through integrated graphics still same results.
    Reply to Alex_124
  8. 6600K should work on any BIOS version, so it's not that.
    Reply to DRagor
  9. Alex_124 said:
    So i have an Intel skylake 6600k and idk what bios version i had prior but its at least 2 years old and when i flashed the BIOS it blacked screened stuck for 30 min until I decided it wasn't working.
    I did some research and apparently i jumped too far in the bios updates and there was some sort of install i was supposed to do prior.
    I reseated the cpu and cables just as a sanity check saw no issues. I took out my gpu am just trying through integrated graphics still same results.

    So you are saying the computer was working properly for 2 years before this happened? Did a problem appear that made you decide to upgrade the BIOS or was it still working properly?
    Reply to rocktalkrock
  10. Yup working properly for 2 years and i just wanted to be up to date
    Reply to Alex_124
  11. Alex_124 said:
    Yup working properly for 2 years and i just wanted to be up to date

    1. When you boot with 1 stick of RAM, is it located in slot "DIMM_A2"?
    2. Have you looked closely at the RAM slots to make sure there is no dirt, lint or pet hairs preventing a proper connection?
    Reply to rocktalkrock
  12. rocktalkrock said:
    Alex_124 said:
    Yup working properly for 2 years and i just wanted to be up to date

    1. When you boot with 1 stick of RAM, is it located in slot "DIMM_A2"?
    2. Have you looked closely at the RAM slots to make sure there is no dirt, lint or pet hairs preventing a proper connection?


    yup
    Reply to Alex_124
  13. Best answer
    Alex_124 said:
    rocktalkrock said:
    Alex_124 said:
    Yup working properly for 2 years and i just wanted to be up to date

    1. When you boot with 1 stick of RAM, is it located in slot "DIMM_A2"?
    2. Have you looked closely at the RAM slots to make sure there is no dirt, lint or pet hairs preventing a proper connection?


    yup

    You should contact Asus Technical Support for help with this problem. They may have a solution.
    Reply to rocktalkrock
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Asus BIOS z170 Boot Motherboards