Solved

confused about but new laptop or upgrade that I have

Hey everyone,
I have core i3 4th gen with 4GB ram. It is good at performing my tasks like photoshop, 3D graphics, rendering... But now It went slow down. So, I decided to buy a new laptop.
but, I watched a video today, it says don't buy a new laptop but upgrade your HDD to SSD most of the PCs slow down because its HDD is slow 100MB/s and hardware don't work at its full potential ( I liked what he said) so I decided to not to change my laptop but Change its HDD to SSD (which is 30X faster than HDD).

But here I hade gone confused, I work on Zbrush and it often crashed because of low ram. If I change my SSD and upgrade my ram to 8GB, is it worthy?
means 8GB ram is compatible with i3?
Is what I'm going to do is actually a good idea or I am just possessed by a video?
Reply to hassibayub
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about confused laptop upgrade
  1. Hello, SSD is faster in loading up programs, not faster in performing the tasks themselves.
    The ram is how much stuff you can have loaded up at the same time, zbrush was probably loading up a lot of stuff which exceeded 4gb.
    8 gb should be enough for what you are doing. Changing the i3 to an i5 is what is going to boost your rendering times.

    If you are happy with they i3, 8gb ram and ssd and everything works fine then ok no need to buy a new laptop. However if you want faster rendering times you can get an i5 laptop, or if you want we can help you build a pc which will get you more performance for your money.
    Reply to furkan68k18
  2. wait for the mid summer 2018. laptops will have qualcomm chips and better multicore processors. the qualcomm chip tech is big since your laptop will be like desktop smartphone.

    so id say go for the small upgrade on RAM and SSD on your current laptop. if you can tell us, the exact name/model number of your laptop? we can give you a more solid advice.
    Reply to marksavio
  3. marksavio said:
    wait for the mid summer 2018. laptops will have qualcomm chips and better multicore processors. the qualcomm chip tech is big since your laptop will be like desktop smartphone.

    so id say go for the small upgrade on RAM and SSD on your current laptop. if you can tell us, the exact name/model number of your laptop? we can give you a more solid advice.


    I have haier 7G series laptop, its not international btw.
    System information.
    Processor: intel(R) core i3-4005U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.7GHz | Memory: 4096 RAM | Graphic card: Intel(R) HD family 2109 MB | HDD: 500GB

    is Any other information required?
    Reply to hassibayub
  4. furkan68k18 said:
    Hello, SSD is faster in loading up programs, not faster in performing the tasks themselves.
    The ram is how much stuff you can have loaded up at the same time, zbrush was probably loading up a lot of stuff which exceeded 4gb.
    8 gb should be enough for what you are doing. Changing the i3 to an i5 is what is going to boost your rendering times.

    If you are happy with they i3, 8gb ram and ssd and everything works fine then ok no need to buy a new laptop. However if you want faster rendering times you can get an i5 laptop, or if you want we can help you build a pc which will get you more performance for your money.

    You can see my laptop specs above. See if you can suggest anything.
    Reply to hassibayub
  5. Well easiest to upgrade would be the ssd, how much space do you need?
    But ram would be more difficult because of compatibility.
    If you're desperate I would buy a new laptop now if not, like marksavio said, wait till mid summer.
    Where about do you live I can look up some laptops for you and see if there are any good deals, would you be interested in a desktop pc, because like I said you get more performance for the money you pay with desktops.
    Reply to furkan68k18
  6. information regarding your laptop is very few tho. and im not sure if its also upgradeable. can you try going to the userbenchmark site. and download their benchmarking tool and share teh link of your result here? i just wanna see what ram/hdd you have currently.
    Reply to marksavio
  7. furkan68k18 said:
    Well easiest to upgrade would be the ssd, how much space do you need?
    But ram would be more difficult because of compatibility.
    If you're desperate I would buy a new laptop now if not, like marksavio said, wait till mid summer.
    Where about do you live I can look up some laptops for you and see if there are any good deals, would you be interested in a desktop pc, because like I said you get more performance for the money you pay with desktops.


    Building PC is a good idea but it doesn't suits to me. I travel, so having a laptop is necessary for me.
    Reply to hassibayub
  8. marksavio said:
    information regarding your laptop is very few tho. and im not sure if its also upgradeable. can you try going to the userbenchmark site. and download their benchmarking tool and share teh link of your result here? i just wanna see what ram/hdd you have currently.


    I was doing heavy work while this benchmark was running.
    But hope you get what you need to see.
    link:
    http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/6597833
    Reply to hassibayub
  9. Best answer
    yah thanks for that. i just needed to know the exact RAM you are using. here is a link for the 8GB RAM for your upgrade. it only has one slot right? so you have no choice but to swap out your current ram.

    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PC3L-12800-DDR3L-204-Pin-M471b1g73bh0-yk0/dp/B00J8U549K
    Reply to marksavio
  10. marksavio said:
    yah thanks for that. i just needed to know the exact RAM you are using. here is a link for the 8GB RAM for your upgrade. it only has one slot right? so you have no choice but to swap out your current ram.

    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PC3L-12800-DDR3L-204-Pin-M471b1g73bh0-yk0/dp/B00J8U549K


    Thank you for such Feedback...
    Reply to hassibayub
  11. also for your SSD you can purchase this one. its cheaper than a Samsung SSD by half the price. with your laptop, you wont tell the difference anyway between the 2. you can even half the price more to a 256GB size instead.

    https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-525GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B01IAGSD68

    you will need to reinstall a fresh windows tho. are you using windows 10? you can download the installer here. your license will be automatically activated on your laptop since you are only replaceing your hard drive.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10
    Reply to marksavio
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Laptops RAM Hard Drives Memory Upgrade