Computer only boots when two HDDs are plugged in.

I recently built an entirely new Ryzen 3 PC and was using an old copy of Windows 7 from an old computer until I bought my new HDD. I installed Windows 10 on the new drive and it works wonders, but it will only boot when both the new and old ones are plugged in.
This wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for
A.)I plan to keep an old build alive and use the older drive, and
B.)My motherboard is only able to detect my old drive about half of the time.
Part list can be found here
Thanks in advance!
Reply to TempoTutor
6 answers Last reply
More about computer boots hdds plugged
  1. did you have both hdd connected when you install windows 10? it might be put the boot partition on the old one.
    Reply to rgd1101
  2. rgd1101 said:
    did you have both hdd connected when you install windows 10? it might be put the boot partition on the old one.


    Yeah I sort of figured something along those lines had happened. Is there any way i could go about moving the boot partition?
    Reply to TempoTutor
  3. I have two comments I want to make...

    1. If the problem you're experiencing is due to the issue described by rgd1101 (and I tend to agree with that diagnosis), there's a relatively easy fix that's available. But to determine if this is so, it would be necessary to see a screenshot of Disk Management to confirm that's the problem.

    2. You have built yourself a very nice system, however, it's positively criminal that it does not include an SSD as your boot drive. By not utilizing a SSD as your boot drive it really substantially diminishes the system's performance. Swing for it.

    (This second comment is really why I'm posting this response. I'm sure rgd1101 will provide the fix for the boot problem you're experiencing. Happy New Year.)
    Reply to ArtPog
  4. ArtPog said:

    1. If the problem you're experiencing is due to the issue described by rgd1101 (and I tend to agree with that diagnosis), there's a relatively easy fix that's available. But to determine if this is so, it would be necessary to see a screenshot of Disk Management to confirm that's the problem.


    Well I'm starting to second guess it because Disk Management says Boot is on my Win10 Drive.

    ArtPog said:

    2. You have built yourself a very nice system, however, it's positively criminal that it does not include an SSD as your boot drive. By not utilizing a SSD as your boot drive it really substantially diminishes the system's performance. Swing for it.


    Yeah, I've looked into getting one, but at the time of buying I couldn't really make that happen. Sometime in the near future though!
    Thank you, and a happy new year to you too!
    Reply to TempoTutor
  5. 1. Can we assume the 1 TB HDD new boot drive is MBR-partitioned and not GPT?

    2. If so, right-click on the boot partition and select the option "Mark Partition as Active"; then boot the system with ONLY that drive connected to see if the system will boot to the Win 10 OS without incident.

    3. If so, ensure that drive is first in boot priority order. It would also be a good idea to connect the drive to the motherboard's first SATA port/connector if it hasn't already been so connected.

    4. And do yourself (and your system) a favor by purchasing a SSD in the VERY near future.
    Reply to ArtPog
  6. 1. Yes
    2. I did this and I just got a 'no operating system detected' message after post. Plugging the old drive back in allowed it to boot again
    3. I don't have any other bootable drives and it's already in SATA1.
    4. I probably will within the next week or so
    Do you have any other suggestions? I noticed that the old drive is labeled as 'System,' could that be part of it?
    [edit: added previous sentence]
    Reply to TempoTutor
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Windows 7 Computers