Solved

How to clear CMOS on Gateway SX2855

I have bought a 2 sticks of memory 2GB each DDR3 PC3-10600 DIMM/1333MHZ 2Rx8 1.5v. It's identical to my current memory stick for one exception the voltage is slightly higher. The one I have now is 1.3v. When I swap the memory sticks for new ones I hear a long continues beep and have to shut down the computer to stop it. I have read that I clearing CMOS might help with that, but don't know where CMOS is. Thank you for help and attention.
Reply to Larisa_1
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about clear cmos gateway sx2855
  1. What is the designation on the sticks you have in now? I presume you have only 2 x slots for RAM, yes?
    Reply to clutchc
  2. Yes, only 2 x slots.
    Reply to Larisa_1
  3. Larisa_1 said:
    Yes, only 2 x slots.


    That RAM should work fine as-is with that board. It should not need a voltage change. I'm not what a BIOS reset would do unless someone ahead of you modified the BIOS to use the lower voltage RAM.

    But if you want to give it a try, try this. It is a general Gateway BIOS reset procedure. Not sure if it works on your board or not.
    Reply to clutchc
  4. clutchc said:
    Larisa_1 said:
    Yes, only 2 x slots.


    That RAM should work fine as-is with that board. It should not need a voltage change. I'm not what a BIOS reset would do unless someone ahead of you modified the BIOS to use the lower voltage RAM.

    But if you want to give it a try, try this. It is a general Gateway BIOS reset procedure. Not sure if it works on your board or not.


    If RAM should work why do I hear a long been and my computer will not boot up? It boots up just fine with old RAM. No one else is using this computer just me so I know no changes had been made. I have tired to assess BIOS, I have tried every method, but my computer just goes strait to log in screen.
    Reply to Larisa_1
  5. Disconnect the SATA cable for the boot drive and the PC should either go to BIOS or offer a key-press to get to BIOS.
    Reply to clutchc
  6. I will try it out tomorrow.
    Reply to Larisa_1
  7. clutchc said:
    Disconnect the SATA cable for the boot drive and the PC should either go to BIOS or offer a key-press to get to BIOS.


    I have disconnect SATA, now I am getting an error “Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press any key.”
    Reply to Larisa_1
  8. Are you repeatedly tapping the DEL key during boot? It may be a different key for Gateway, tho. F2, F12... your manual should tell you. Sometimes the key-press window is quite short, and you have to catch it at just the right time. Hence the 'tapping' rather than a simple press.
    Reply to clutchc
  9. I know it’s DEL key since I have gone into BIOS many times, but my computer has been acting strange on boot lately and DEL key no longer produces any results.
    Reply to Larisa_1
  10. Larisa_1 said:
    I tried Del and F2 with no luck. Do I need to try it with SATA unplugged?


    I only suggested unplugging the SATA cable in case the key-press window was soo short that you were missing it. Do it either way. What key does your manual say is the BIOS (setup) key?
    Reply to clutchc
  11. I know it’s DEL key since I have gone into BIOS many times, but my computer has been acting strange on boot lately and DEL key no longer produces any results.
    Reply to Larisa_1
  12. I have decided that I am not going to replace REM. I am just going to buy new computer when I get a chance. I am sure my current REM is not to damaged and will last me that long. Thank you for your help.
    Reply to Larisa_1
  13. Larisa_1 said:
    I know it’s DEL key since I have gone into BIOS many times, but my computer has been acting strange on boot lately and DEL key no longer produces any results.

    Have you tried booting the computer on one of the new RAM sticks at a time? Perhaps it could be a defect.

    EDIT: Didn't see your latest post sorry
    Reply to OutdatedUser
  14. The RAM might be faulty, but I am not going to test it. My friend damaged the computer shell while helping me. It was not very obvious before, but now the DVD will not open plus other problems, I don’t think it’s worth repairing anymore.
    Reply to Larisa_1
  15. Might even be a bad keyboard. Does the DEL key work in other applications?
    What kind of keyboard is it? Wireless?
    Hardwired? Where is it plugged into? USB2, USB3, PS2?
    Reply to clutchc
  16. clutchc said:
    Might even be a bad keyboard. Does the DEL key work in other applications?
    What kind of keyboard is it? Wireless?
    Hardwired? Where is it plugged into? USB2, USB3, PS2?

    The DEL key works in other implication. The keyboard is wireless, but it has not been a problem before.
    Reply to Larisa_1
  17. I suspect the wireless keyboard is the issue. Verify by removing it and temporarily trying a wired keyboard.
    Reply to clutchc
  18. clutchc said:
    I suspect the wireless keyboard is the issue. Verify by removing it and temporarily trying a wired keyboard.


    I don't have a different keyboard, so can't test that. I am not going to go buy new one just to test it ether. As I mentioned before a friend of mine has exidentally damaged the exterior of the computer, I barely closed the cover if I keep opening and closing too often my computer is just going to fall apart and it's the only one I have. It's the one I am typing from. The only option I have is to buy a new computer. Can I close this thread even though my computer was not fixed?
    Reply to Larisa_1
  19. Best answer
    Larisa_1 said:
    clutchc said:
    I suspect the wireless keyboard is the issue. Verify by removing it and temporarily trying a wired keyboard.


    I don't have a different keyboard, so can't test that. I am not going to go buy new one just to test it ether. As I mentioned before a friend of mine has exidentally damaged the exterior of the computer, I barely closed the cover if I keep opening and closing too often my computer is just going to fall apart and it's the only one I have. It's the one I am typing from. The only option I have is to buy a new computer. Can I close this thread even though my computer was not fixed?


    You won't spend $7 for a cheap keyboard to help isolate the problem with, but you will spend hundreds for a new computer to fix the problem? :??: The spare KB might be handy to have on hand if your wireless KB ever dies and you're left with no way to use your PC.
    Reply to clutchc
  20. I am sure it’s not a keyboard. I can’t even get into safe mode. I tried to today and now the computer won’t even boot. I am not going to buy new computer because of faulty memory. I will not be expaining the reson here, because I have explained it twice before, but you seem to ignore it.
    Reply to Larisa_1
  21. Larisa_1 said:
    I am sure it’s not a keyboard. I can’t even get into safe mode. I tried to today and now the computer won’t even boot. I am not going to buy new computer because of faulty memory. I will not be expaining the reson here, because I have explained it twice before, but you seem to ignore it.

    It just seems kind of fishy that your friend could do enough damage, or to be more specific, such unique damage to make an entire computer stop working this way (I'll stop commenting after this)
    Reply to OutdatedUser
Ask a new question Answer