Upgrading PC for Legion

Been away from wow for about 2 years! Build this PC in 2010-2011 time frame.

It served me well through wrath and cata. However, I'm wanting to come back and have the capability of raiding at Ultra Settings if I wish and the possibility of streaming if I decide to do so.

Thoughts on best way's to improve or should I scrap and start over?

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Bhollandtcc/saved/NmvZLk
Reply to bhollandtcc
24 answers Last reply
More about upgrading legion
  1. I'd upgrade the GPU (1050 ti or better) and overclock that CPU as far as it will safely go (will need aftermarket cooler). That would be enough for Legion but it all depends on your budget for upgrades.
    Reply to WildCard999
  2. If you want to raid on Ultra you're going to need a whole new system otherwise you'll have to compromise some settings.

    If you have a budget in mind that would be a good start.

    If you want to raid on Ultra settings you'll need a high end i7, overclocked pretty well, and a fairly decent GPU.
    Only CPU that you would be able to run at stock settings well enough to keep about 50-60fps on Ultra in a big raid is the 8700k. Even then you'd probably be using old Ultra (preset 7) settings. I have a 6700k @4.7GHz and I can't get over 60fps in Dalaran on Preset 10, raids would be in the low 30's tops, even on the best CPU, and don't even get me started on the Nighthold... you'd be lucky to get 20fps on Preset 10 in most of that raid.

    I would suggest coming up with a reasonable budget and just shooting for the best you can, without worrying too much about graphics settings.
    Reply to EpIckFa1LJoN
  3. EpIckFa1LJoN said:
    If you want to raid on Ultra you're going to need a whole new system otherwise you'll have to compromise some settings.

    If you have a budget in mind that would be a good start.

    If you want to raid on Ultra settings you'll need a high end i7, overclocked pretty well, and a fairly decent GPU.
    Only CPU that you would be able to run at stock settings well enough to keep about 50-60fps on Ultra in a big raid is the 8700k. Even then you'd probably be using old Ultra (preset 7) settings. I have a 6700k @4.7GHz and I can't get over 60fps in Dalaran on Preset 10, raids would be in the low 30's tops, even on the best CPU, and don't even get me started on the Nighthold... you'd be lucky to get 20fps on Preset 10 in most of that raid.

    I would suggest coming up with a reasonable budget and just shooting for the best you can, without worrying too much about graphics settings.


    May take some time, but it definitely seems as if Legion revamped the CPU requirements and GPU requirements of the game. Even back in WOD I was able to pull 40-60 FPS with my old build doing raids.

    Feedback on below? Never OC'ed before, deliberating on whether or not I should risk it.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jKyRjc
    Reply to bhollandtcc
  4. Ultra in most games is not really something you want to shoot for if you need to spend money if playing on high or medium works. I always say that you will be too busy actually playing than counting how many leaves are rendered on a tree or be staring at the shadows from everything on the screen.

    If you have the idea to upgrade everything if needed, I would start with just upgrading the video card, say to a 1060 6gb. That will give you a good base for a future system if needed, and will be fast enough that you can figure out if the CPU is holding you back too much.
    Reply to hang-the-9
  5. bhollandtcc said:
    EpIckFa1LJoN said:
    If you want to raid on Ultra you're going to need a whole new system otherwise you'll have to compromise some settings.

    If you have a budget in mind that would be a good start.

    If you want to raid on Ultra settings you'll need a high end i7, overclocked pretty well, and a fairly decent GPU.
    Only CPU that you would be able to run at stock settings well enough to keep about 50-60fps on Ultra in a big raid is the 8700k. Even then you'd probably be using old Ultra (preset 7) settings. I have a 6700k @4.7GHz and I can't get over 60fps in Dalaran on Preset 10, raids would be in the low 30's tops, even on the best CPU, and don't even get me started on the Nighthold... you'd be lucky to get 20fps on Preset 10 in most of that raid.

    I would suggest coming up with a reasonable budget and just shooting for the best you can, without worrying too much about graphics settings.


    May take some time, but it definitely seems as if Legion revamped the CPU requirements and GPU requirements of the game. Even back in WOD I was able to pull 40-60 FPS with my old build doing raids.

    Feedback on below? Never OC'ed before, deliberating on whether or not I should risk it.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jKyRjc



    First off, you don't need the PRO OS, it's a waste of money. Home works just fine, but at the same time its like $20, really up to you if you want the extra luxury features. I personally would not use a single function Pro has that Home does not.

    Secondly, unless you are doing a bunch of gaming aside from WoW, a 1060 3GB will also do the trick, if you're playing at 60Hz 1080p, I would venture as far as to say a 1050 Ti would do what you want it to. So you could save some money there.

    The CPU is a great one, and you SHOULD be able to OC it just as high as a 7700k (higher in some cases), however if you are not experienced with overclocking, it may be a safer bet to get the 7700k or 6700k and run it at stock. I personally would spring a little and get the 8700k and a decent Z370 board, since that will perform the best at stock settings.

    Fourthly, I don't know about that PSU, I would get at least a G2, that looks like a weird variant of their's and I am not too sure about it. EVGA supernova's are great for the price 650W should be plenty. I would just make sure you get at least a G2 (that one might be a G1 I don't even recognize it)

    Memory is a great choice, you would see very little to 0 performance gain on most titles with anything more, and absolutely nothing from WoW.

    SSD is one of the best you can buy, HDD is not bad, I don't like HDD's because they are abysmally slow compared to SSD's but if you have to go that route, that is a great one.

    I would get a Cryorig H7 rather than a hyper 212. The 212 is great for cooling at stock on a budget but poor for heavy overclocking. I wouldn't even try to overclock more than a couple hundred MHz with that cooler. The Cryorig H7 is about $10-15 more and will cool a lot better, possibly giving you a hundred more MHz on the OC, which will make big enough of a difference in WoW.

    Lastly, to touch on the CPU again, unless you invest in some serious cooling, you will limited on much of an overclock on the CPU, and in that respect the 8700k is a much better option again.
    If its about the money, the 8600k will still be a better option. It will be able to Turbo up to 4.3GHz at stock as opposed to the 7600k which Turbos up to 4.2GHz at stock. However the 7600k will overclock higher, but without top notch cooling it's a big IF, if you'll be able to do a high overclock. And if you do any other gaming, the 8th gen will be significantly better than 7th gen.

    From what little I have read both the 8600k and 8700k should be able to clock up to 5.0GHz stable, making the 8600k a much better buy than the 7600k which will only hit 5GHz under the best conditions and if you're lucky.
    Reply to EpIckFa1LJoN
  6. EpIckFa1LJoN said:
    bhollandtcc said:
    EpIckFa1LJoN said:
    If you want to raid on Ultra you're going to need a whole new system otherwise you'll have to compromise some settings.

    If you have a budget in mind that would be a good start.

    If you want to raid on Ultra settings you'll need a high end i7, overclocked pretty well, and a fairly decent GPU.
    Only CPU that you would be able to run at stock settings well enough to keep about 50-60fps on Ultra in a big raid is the 8700k. Even then you'd probably be using old Ultra (preset 7) settings. I have a 6700k @4.7GHz and I can't get over 60fps in Dalaran on Preset 10, raids would be in the low 30's tops, even on the best CPU, and don't even get me started on the Nighthold... you'd be lucky to get 20fps on Preset 10 in most of that raid.

    I would suggest coming up with a reasonable budget and just shooting for the best you can, without worrying too much about graphics settings.


    May take some time, but it definitely seems as if Legion revamped the CPU requirements and GPU requirements of the game. Even back in WOD I was able to pull 40-60 FPS with my old build doing raids.

    Feedback on below? Never OC'ed before, deliberating on whether or not I should risk it.

    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jKyRjc



    First off, you don't need the PRO OS, it's a waste of money. Home works just fine, but at the same time its like $20, really up to you if you want the extra luxury features. I personally would not use a single function Pro has that Home does not.

    Secondly, unless you are doing a bunch of gaming aside from WoW, a 1060 3GB will also do the trick, if you're playing at 60Hz 1080p, I would venture as far as to say a 1050 Ti would do what you want it to. So you could save some money there.

    The CPU is a great one, and you SHOULD be able to OC it just as high as a 7700k (higher in some cases), however if you are not experienced with overclocking, it may be a safer bet to get the 7700k or 6700k and run it at stock. I personally would spring a little and get the 8700k and a decent Z370 board, since that will perform the best at stock settings.

    Fourthly, I don't know about that PSU, I would get at least a G2, that looks like a weird variant of their's and I am not too sure about it. EVGA supernova's are great for the price 650W should be plenty. I would just make sure you get at least a G2 (that one might be a G1 I don't even recognize it)

    Memory is a great choice, you would see very little to 0 performance gain on most titles with anything more, and absolutely nothing from WoW.

    SSD is one of the best you can buy, HDD is not bad, I don't like HDD's because they are abysmally slow compared to SSD's but if you have to go that route, that is a great one.

    I would get a Cryorig H7 rather than a hyper 212. The 212 is great for cooling at stock on a budget but poor for heavy overclocking. I wouldn't even try to overclock more than a couple hundred MHz with that cooler. The Cryorig H7 is about $10-15 more and will cool a lot better, possibly giving you a hundred more MHz on the OC, which will make big enough of a difference in WoW.

    Lastly, to touch on the CPU again, unless you invest in some serious cooling, you will limited on much of an overclock on the CPU, and in that respect the 8700k is a much better option again.
    If its about the money, the 8600k will still be a better option. It will be able to Turbo up to 4.3GHz at stock as opposed to the 7600k which Turbos up to 4.2GHz at stock. However the 7600k will overclock higher, but without top notch cooling it's a big IF, if you'll be able to do a high overclock. And if you do any other gaming, the 8th gen will be significantly better than 7th gen.

    From what little I have read both the 8600k and 8700k should be able to clock up to 5.0GHz stable, making the 8600k a much better buy than the 7600k which will only hit 5GHz under the best conditions and if you're lucky.


    Thanks for the awesome feedback!

    I'm actually going to try and save some money currently and revamp my older build. My i5 2500k after some research is still okay for playing the game as well as I will need to do for raiding and what not. I'll be looking to get the biggest bang for my buck on a graphics card that will fit into my original build however if you want to weigh in on that?

    I know WOW's performance is based normally off of the CPU instead of the GPU but I'm seeing comparable results to where I want to be playing the game at on builds similar to my old one with a newer GPU.
    Reply to bhollandtcc
  7. You have to be careful with WoW benchmarks. They can be VERY shady. As someone who has spent a considerable (and by considerable I mean I have about 35 days played on Legion alone, which is nothing compared to some of my guild-mates but that's another story :D.) amount of time playing the game, I can tell you the best GPU in the world will do nothing for your minimum fps. I have a 6700k @ 4.7GHz and I can't even play on Ultra settings with fps where I want it. Even with my chip and even at 60Hz on ultra settings, with AA off my min. fps in raids will drop down to about 35fps which it will do a lot. I turned down my settings to 7 (of 10) and my min is about 45-50fps in raids. depending on the fight and how big the raid is.

    I literally saw a video of a Ryzen 1700 at stock but they benchmarked it on LFR Kil'Jaiden, which is not even a fight with huge fps drops they went into the 30's. My min on that fight is like 75-80fps. Whereas on Harjatan or Mistress my fps can go into the 50s. At least it's not The Nighthold though. Half of that raid my fps is in the 40's.

    Anyways you will probably be okay with what you have but it's not going to do what you want all of the time, especially not in raids. There are about 4 CPU's that can hold 60fps or close in big raids on Ultra quality, and they have to be overclocked pretty well.
    Reply to EpIckFa1LJoN
  8. EpIckFa1LJoN said:
    You have to be careful with WoW benchmarks. They can be VERY shady. As someone who has spent a considerable (and by considerable I mean I have about 35 days played on Legion alone, which is nothing compared to some of my guild-mates but that's another story :D.) amount of time playing the game, I can tell you the best GPU in the world will do nothing for your minimum fps. I have a 6700k @ 4.7GHz and I can't even play on Ultra settings with fps where I want it. Even with my chip and even at 60Hz on ultra settings, with AA off my min. fps in raids will drop down to about 35fps which it will do a lot. I turned down my settings to 7 (of 10) and my min is about 45-50fps in raids. depending on the fight and how big the raid is.

    I literally saw a video of a Ryzen 1700 at stock but they benchmarked it on LFR Kil'Jaiden, which is not even a fight with huge fps drops they went into the 30's. My min on that fight is like 75-80fps. Whereas on Harjatan or Mistress my fps can go into the 50s. At least it's not The Nighthold though. Half of that raid my fps is in the 40's.

    Anyways you will probably be okay with what you have but it's not going to do what you want all of the time, especially not in raids. There are about 4 CPU's that can hold 60fps or close in big raids on Ultra quality, and they have to be overclocked pretty well.


    Yeah, after attempting to raid with a bud of mine last night I brought all my settings to 1 wtih AA off and was roughly 35 FPS in my class hall and about 9 in our raid. Not to mention, even after those changes with discord running in the background I was at 1 FPS. After closing it it went back up.

    After last nights failure I'm thinking my CPU is on the downhill after almost 8 years. There is no reason that running discord or wowhead in the background should cause a significant drop in FPS.
    Reply to bhollandtcc
  9. Actually WoWhead is a killer it takes up a ton of resources for no apparent reason (probably the 100 ads or so on every page). Discord isn't bad but it will also affect fps. But yeah that's CPU for sure. The GPU wouldn't be affected by those things.

    I would upgrade. Even an 8th get i3 will get you where you want to be with WoW. Obviously an i5 or i7 would be better for using WoWhead and Discord, but for just the game an 8350k with a good OC is probably the best CPU for the game.

    Also an easy fix for Discord is to set the affinity so it doesn't use the same core as WoW is utilizing the most of. you can do that with any program.
    Reply to EpIckFa1LJoN
  10. bhollandtcc said:
    EpIckFa1LJoN said:
    You have to be careful with WoW benchmarks. They can be VERY shady. As someone who has spent a considerable (and by considerable I mean I have about 35 days played on Legion alone, which is nothing compared to some of my guild-mates but that's another story :D.) amount of time playing the game, I can tell you the best GPU in the world will do nothing for your minimum fps. I have a 6700k @ 4.7GHz and I can't even play on Ultra settings with fps where I want it. Even with my chip and even at 60Hz on ultra settings, with AA off my min. fps in raids will drop down to about 35fps which it will do a lot. I turned down my settings to 7 (of 10) and my min is about 45-50fps in raids. depending on the fight and how big the raid is.

    I literally saw a video of a Ryzen 1700 at stock but they benchmarked it on LFR Kil'Jaiden, which is not even a fight with huge fps drops they went into the 30's. My min on that fight is like 75-80fps. Whereas on Harjatan or Mistress my fps can go into the 50s. At least it's not The Nighthold though. Half of that raid my fps is in the 40's.

    Anyways you will probably be okay with what you have but it's not going to do what you want all of the time, especially not in raids. There are about 4 CPU's that can hold 60fps or close in big raids on Ultra quality, and they have to be overclocked pretty well.


    Yeah, after attempting to raid with a bud of mine last night I brought all my settings to 1 wtih AA off and was roughly 35 FPS in my class hall and about 9 in our raid. Not to mention, even after those changes with discord running in the background I was at 1 FPS. After closing it it went back up.

    After last nights failure I'm thinking my CPU is on the downhill after almost 8 years. There is no reason that running discord or wowhead in the background should cause a significant drop in FPS.


    You should be way higher in FPS in WOW at 1, something is not quite right. Did you upgrade the video card? 35 in the class hall is almost half of what I get on the 6 settings using a Lenovo W520 laptop with an older nVidia Quadro card that is slower than your 6770. When running around town and open areas I am at near 100 fps on 6 with a few options like shadows turned down a bit more.

    An i5-2500K that was overclocked I recently setup for someone for a cheap gaming system benchmarked in PassMark the same as my 4th gen i5, and I can run WOW on that CPU on almost top settings with 40 fps in busy areas, and that is at 120 hz not 60.
    Reply to hang-the-9
  11. hang-the-9 said:
    bhollandtcc said:
    EpIckFa1LJoN said:
    You have to be careful with WoW benchmarks. They can be VERY shady. As someone who has spent a considerable (and by considerable I mean I have about 35 days played on Legion alone, which is nothing compared to some of my guild-mates but that's another story :D.) amount of time playing the game, I can tell you the best GPU in the world will do nothing for your minimum fps. I have a 6700k @ 4.7GHz and I can't even play on Ultra settings with fps where I want it. Even with my chip and even at 60Hz on ultra settings, with AA off my min. fps in raids will drop down to about 35fps which it will do a lot. I turned down my settings to 7 (of 10) and my min is about 45-50fps in raids. depending on the fight and how big the raid is.

    I literally saw a video of a Ryzen 1700 at stock but they benchmarked it on LFR Kil'Jaiden, which is not even a fight with huge fps drops they went into the 30's. My min on that fight is like 75-80fps. Whereas on Harjatan or Mistress my fps can go into the 50s. At least it's not The Nighthold though. Half of that raid my fps is in the 40's.

    Anyways you will probably be okay with what you have but it's not going to do what you want all of the time, especially not in raids. There are about 4 CPU's that can hold 60fps or close in big raids on Ultra quality, and they have to be overclocked pretty well.


    Yeah, after attempting to raid with a bud of mine last night I brought all my settings to 1 wtih AA off and was roughly 35 FPS in my class hall and about 9 in our raid. Not to mention, even after those changes with discord running in the background I was at 1 FPS. After closing it it went back up.

    After last nights failure I'm thinking my CPU is on the downhill after almost 8 years. There is no reason that running discord or wowhead in the background should cause a significant drop in FPS.


    You should be way higher in FPS in WOW at 1, something is not quite right. Did you upgrade the video card? 35 in the class hall is almost half of what I get on the 6 settings using a Lenovo W520 laptop with an older nVidia Quadro card that is slower than your 6770. When running around town and open areas I am at near 100 fps on 6 with a few options like shadows turned down a bit more.

    An i5-2500K that was overclocked I recently setup for someone for a cheap gaming system benchmarked in PassMark the same as my 4th gen i5, and I can run WOW on that CPU on almost top settings with 40 fps in busy areas, and that is at 120 hz not 60.


    Well first off, most of those settings are graphics card settings, even at 1 my minimum fps stays the same because of the amount of players (which need to be rendered by the CPU) is still high. Most settings do not help CPU performance that much.

    I guarantee you its the fact that he had other stuff open and running. Despite what Discord markets itself as a low-resource hog, it still eats up a lot of resources. And WoWhead.... omg.. just don't.
    Reply to EpIckFa1LJoN
  12. hang-the-9 said:
    bhollandtcc said:
    EpIckFa1LJoN said:
    You have to be careful with WoW benchmarks. They can be VERY shady. As someone who has spent a considerable (and by considerable I mean I have about 35 days played on Legion alone, which is nothing compared to some of my guild-mates but that's another story :D.) amount of time playing the game, I can tell you the best GPU in the world will do nothing for your minimum fps. I have a 6700k @ 4.7GHz and I can't even play on Ultra settings with fps where I want it. Even with my chip and even at 60Hz on ultra settings, with AA off my min. fps in raids will drop down to about 35fps which it will do a lot. I turned down my settings to 7 (of 10) and my min is about 45-50fps in raids. depending on the fight and how big the raid is.

    I literally saw a video of a Ryzen 1700 at stock but they benchmarked it on LFR Kil'Jaiden, which is not even a fight with huge fps drops they went into the 30's. My min on that fight is like 75-80fps. Whereas on Harjatan or Mistress my fps can go into the 50s. At least it's not The Nighthold though. Half of that raid my fps is in the 40's.

    Anyways you will probably be okay with what you have but it's not going to do what you want all of the time, especially not in raids. There are about 4 CPU's that can hold 60fps or close in big raids on Ultra quality, and they have to be overclocked pretty well.


    Yeah, after attempting to raid with a bud of mine last night I brought all my settings to 1 wtih AA off and was roughly 35 FPS in my class hall and about 9 in our raid. Not to mention, even after those changes with discord running in the background I was at 1 FPS. After closing it it went back up.

    After last nights failure I'm thinking my CPU is on the downhill after almost 8 years. There is no reason that running discord or wowhead in the background should cause a significant drop in FPS.


    You should be way higher in FPS in WOW at 1, something is not quite right. Did you upgrade the video card? 35 in the class hall is almost half of what I get on the 6 settings using a Lenovo W520 laptop with an older nVidia Quadro card that is slower than your 6770. When running around town and open areas I am at near 100 fps on 6 with a few options like shadows turned down a bit more.

    An i5-2500K that was overclocked I recently setup for someone for a cheap gaming system benchmarked in PassMark the same as my 4th gen i5, and I can run WOW on that CPU on almost top settings with 40 fps in busy areas, and that is at 120 hz not 60.



    This is a base i5 2500k. No OC'ing as I haven't pursued that avenue just yet. Never did that before.


    I'm going to do a fresh install of EVERYTHING. Wipe drivers, update the BIOS, and etc and see if it helps along with a good ole fashion cleaning.

    I feel like it should be performing WAY better even with the current setup.

    Granted, I was streaming internet from my phone last night but I still had 100 MS. I don't feel like it should have affected my FPS.
    Reply to bhollandtcc
  13. I really suggest you upgrade the video card. The setup I did was your CPU along with a 1050 Ti which provided 4 GB of memory for the heavier games while keeping the cost down a bit. Plenty for WOW at good settings. Your 6770 was a good card in it's time for the price, but even the cheaper gaming cards like the 1030 will beat it now.
    Reply to hang-the-9
  14. hang-the-9 said:
    I really suggest you upgrade the video card. The setup I did was your CPU along with a 1050 Ti which provided 4 GB of memory for the heavier games while keeping the cost down a bit. Plenty for WOW at good settings. Your 6770 was a good card in it's time for the price, but even the cheaper gaming cards like the 1030 will beat it now.


    I'm going with a 1050ti for sure, no need for me to have much of anything higher for the build I have in mind when the money from taxes gets here for me to blow haha.

    Thinking of going with the current setup with the case, psu, SSD and HDD that I have currently.

    i7 8600k
    Asus Prime Z370
    8 GB of Crucial DDR4 2400
    Reply to bhollandtcc
  15. bhollandtcc said:
    hang-the-9 said:
    I really suggest you upgrade the video card. The setup I did was your CPU along with a 1050 Ti which provided 4 GB of memory for the heavier games while keeping the cost down a bit. Plenty for WOW at good settings. Your 6770 was a good card in it's time for the price, but even the cheaper gaming cards like the 1030 will beat it now.


    I'm going with a 1050ti for sure, no need for me to have much of anything higher for the build I have in mind when the money from taxes gets here for me to blow haha.

    Thinking of going with the current setup with the case, psu, SSD and HDD that I have currently.

    i7 8600k
    Asus Prime Z370
    8 GB of Crucial DDR4 2400


    I would not spend that much money on a CPU and get a 1050 Ti, way unbalanced. I would get an i5 and a faster CPU and unless you know why you are buying it I would get a cheaper motherboard in the $100 range. Put the money into actual performance.
    Reply to hang-the-9
  16. hang-the-9 said:
    bhollandtcc said:
    hang-the-9 said:
    I really suggest you upgrade the video card. The setup I did was your CPU along with a 1050 Ti which provided 4 GB of memory for the heavier games while keeping the cost down a bit. Plenty for WOW at good settings. Your 6770 was a good card in it's time for the price, but even the cheaper gaming cards like the 1030 will beat it now.


    I'm going with a 1050ti for sure, no need for me to have much of anything higher for the build I have in mind when the money from taxes gets here for me to blow haha.

    Thinking of going with the current setup with the case, psu, SSD and HDD that I have currently.

    i7 8600k
    Asus Prime Z370
    8 GB of Crucial DDR4 2400


    I would not spend that much money on a CPU and get a 1050 Ti, way unbalanced. I would get an i5 and a faster CPU and unless you know why you are buying it I would get a cheaper motherboard in the $100 range. Put the money into actual performance.


    I have a really good deal on the 8700k with work right now, but also for the streaming and gaming I hope to accomplish I want to have the CPU.

    I may change the MOBO however, havent decided.

    I may look into another video card, not going to a 1080 though.
    Reply to bhollandtcc
  17. Strictly speaking for WoW the 8350k is the best you can do especially with a good OC. However once you start running other programs performance will drop. Really you will only notice it in raids. If you want to go aroundthat and multitask all you want get a 8600k or 8700k. And there's nothing wrong with an unbalanced system. If its for WoW you WANT a great CPU and a decent GPU. My first build was a 3770k (best 3rd gen i7, like 8770k is to 8th gen.) with a GTX 650. (What a 1050 would be for pascal).

    Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Now if you were to get something like a 1060 or something you will get NO use out of that's crazy. However you still should upgrade the GPU eventually. A 1050 wouldbe perfectly fine for WoW paired with an 8700k.

    In fact if I didn't play Bethesda games and other AAA titles I would probably have a 1060 6GB (I play at 3440x1440 100HZ) instead of a 1080 Ti.

    With an 8770k and a 1050 you can play at about 7(still looks great not quite as hard to run as 10) no AA you can probably stay between 50-60fps, multitask all you want, while raiding with a slight OC maybe even at stock.
    Reply to EpIckFa1LJoN
  18. I actually stumbled across an i7 4790k!

    It was in a MICRO ATX system from work that had a PSU go bad in about a year ago. I was helping our IT guy gather all our broken PC's up at work and boom it's mine lol.


    Now I need to get a mobo that will work for it. I tried to swap the MOBO to my current chasis and PSU but I didn't have the correct hookups evidently.
    Reply to bhollandtcc
  19. Dang, lucky break. Not the best out there but if it's free, it's free.

    Just find a decent Z97 board and you're good to go.
    Reply to EpIckFa1LJoN
  20. EpIckFa1LJoN said:
    Dang, lucky break. Not the best out there but if it's free, it's free.

    Just find a decent Z97 board and you're good to go.


    Considering when I got home last night my other PC was BSOD it worked out.

    I'll still probably splurge in the next few months but this will get me by in the mean time.
    Reply to bhollandtcc
  21. Heck yeah it will. The 4790k is a beast at overclocking. And with a good OC it can still hang with the big boys. It's always good to upgrade piece by piece anyways. Gives more time to save up and get better parts when you do upgrade.
    Reply to EpIckFa1LJoN
  22. EpIckFa1LJoN said:
    Heck yeah it will. The 4790k is a beast at overclocking. And with a good OC it can still hang with the big boys. It's always good to upgrade piece by piece anyways. Gives more time to save up and get better parts when you do upgrade.


    Think I'm going to order this:

    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K656B4763&ignorebbr=1

    My current RAM works with it and everything. Pretty much everything was compatible aside from my old MOBO. Now I'll just get a vid card and update one part at a time :)
    Reply to bhollandtcc
  23. No you shouldn't do that. With H81 you won't be able to OC.

    You really should OC, because otherwise it's not nearly as fast as it could be. And to OC you need a Z97 board. Most if not all Z97 boards support DDR3 RAM. MSI Z97 Gaming 5 or Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero, for example.
    Reply to EpIckFa1LJoN
  24. You act like the 4790k is an ancient CPU. It really isn't much slower than current gen stuff. I do agree on z97 board for it though, if possible.

    Might want to diagnose what that BSOD was for also, before you start throwing money into a 4790k build.
    Reply to logainofhades
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Video Games Streaming World Of Warcraft Build