PC Keeps freezing since upgrading to 144hz

I recently upgraded to a 144hz monitor (AOC G2460F) and for the first week, there were no issues, but now my pc keeps freezing... All my temps are perfect (40 degrees on both GPU and CPU) but my pc just keeps freezing, requiring a hard-reboot via the power button. It has frozen while playing CS:GO, while watching youtube, even while just on the desktop. I even turned my monitor down to 120hz and it still froze, so I'm out of ideas. It is connected by a DVI-D cable which I paid $15 for. Before I upgraded my monitor, it was run through an HDMI cable, so I'm wondering if the DVI port is shot or something on my GPU. After the 2nd or 3rd freeze, I opened up my PC and checked for loose connections, re-seated my CPU cooler and applied more thermal compound, still same result. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8320
GPU: XFX Radeon RX460 4GB
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 LED
MOBO: MSI 970 Gaming
PSU: Corsair CX 750
Reply to EricJohnson47
5 answers Last reply
More about freezing upgrading 144hz
  1. EricJohnson47 said:
    I recently upgraded to a 144hz monitor (AOC G2460F) and for the first week, there were no issues, but now my pc keeps freezing... All my temps are perfect (40 degrees on both GPU and CPU) but my pc just keeps freezing, requiring a hard-reboot via the power button. It has frozen while playing CS:GO, while watching youtube, even while just on the desktop. I even turned my monitor down to 120hz and it still froze, so I'm out of ideas. It is connected by a DVI-D cable which I paid $15 for. Before I upgraded my monitor, it was run through an HDMI cable, so I'm wondering if the DVI port is shot or something on my GPU. After the 2nd or 3rd freeze, I opened up my PC and checked for loose connections, re-seated my CPU cooler and applied more thermal compound, still same result. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
    Specs:
    CPU: AMD FX-8320
    GPU: XFX Radeon RX460 4GB
    CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 LED
    MOBO: MSI 970 Gaming
    PSU: Corsair CX 750

    It's the DVI cable.

    Switch to a DisplayPort cable and see if that helps. HDMI might work too, but I'm less sure.
    Reply to JoeMomma
  2. Since your gpu is older and you ask more from it (more power for 144hz)
    I suspect the psu (CX series are know as bad psu under full load )
    or GPU chocking / dying
    Reply to dextermat
  3. JoeMomma said:
    EricJohnson47 said:
    I recently upgraded to a 144hz monitor (AOC G2460F) and for the first week, there were no issues, but now my pc keeps freezing... All my temps are perfect (40 degrees on both GPU and CPU) but my pc just keeps freezing, requiring a hard-reboot via the power button. It has frozen while playing CS:GO, while watching youtube, even while just on the desktop. I even turned my monitor down to 120hz and it still froze, so I'm out of ideas. It is connected by a DVI-D cable which I paid $15 for. Before I upgraded my monitor, it was run through an HDMI cable, so I'm wondering if the DVI port is shot or something on my GPU. After the 2nd or 3rd freeze, I opened up my PC and checked for loose connections, re-seated my CPU cooler and applied more thermal compound, still same result. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
    Specs:
    CPU: AMD FX-8320
    GPU: XFX Radeon RX460 4GB
    CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 LED
    MOBO: MSI 970 Gaming
    PSU: Corsair CX 750

    It's the DVI cable.

    Switch to a DisplayPort cable and see if that helps. HDMI might work too, but I'm less sure.


    But if I switch back to hdmi, I will be unable to use the 144hz that my monitor offers, won't I? Then it would have been a waste of $300 CAD :/
    Reply to EricJohnson47
  4. dextermat said:
    Since your gpu is older and you ask more from it (more power for 144hz)
    I suspect the psu (CX series are know as bad psu under full load )
    or GPU chocking / dying


    750 Watts should be way more than enough to power my system shouldn't it?
    Reply to EricJohnson47
  5. EricJohnson47 said:

    It's the DVI cable.

    Switch to a DisplayPort cable and see if that helps. HDMI might work too, but I'm less sure.


    But if I switch back to hdmi, I will be unable to use the 144hz that my monitor offers, won't I? Then it would have been a waste of $300 CAD :/

    That's why I suggested trying a DsiplayPort cable first.
    Reply to JoeMomma
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

AOC Freezing Hardware Issue GPUs Graphics Cards Monitors