Solved

Dell xps 730x for gaming?

Hey guys

I want to buy dell xps 730x but I have few questions about it
1st question xps 730x sata2 or sata3?
2nd is it worth to buy in 2017?

And I want to build this with the 730x
I7-970
Ram 12GB
SSD Samsung evo 850 120GB
HDD WD Black 2TB
GPU GTX 1060 3GB
will work fine together? And if it's not what do you recommend
Reply to Abd_3_
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dell xps 730x gaming
  1. It depends on what your budget is. And what you would pay for that system. But on a whole, I can vouch for the fact that the i7-970 and GTX 1060 3gb will allow ultra gaming at 1080p in most games. I had a Xeon W3670 which is the same CPU, along with the GTX 1060 3gb myself for awhile. It was faster than the same card with my OC'ed FX-8350.

    As to SATA version, I suspect it is SATA II because of the age. My Precision T3500 was, anyway.
    Reply to clutchc
  2. Best answer
    I recently had a stock 730x and it should run just fine. While old, the first gen i7's are still respectable processors. The only limitation is I am pretty sure those boards are locked to a max of 6gb of ram. I believe there was a modified version of a Alienware Area 51 bios that would allow up to 12gb but I would research more into that as updating a motherboard with an unofficial bios is always a risky process. The one nice thing with this case is unlike it's predecessors in the XPS 7xx line, the 730 uses a standard atx motherboard so you can always throw in a modern motherboard/cpu/ram combo later down the road if you want to keep the case.
    Reply to kboyer36
  3. kboyer36 said:
    I recently had a stock 730x and it should run just fine. While old, the first gen i7's are still respectable processors. The only limitation is I am pretty sure those boards are locked to a max of 6gb of ram. I believe there was a modified version of a Alienware Area 51 bios that would allow up to 12gb but I would research more into that as updating a motherboard with an unofficial bios is always a risky process. The one nice thing with this case is unlike it's predecessors in the XPS 7xx line, the 730 uses a standard atx motherboard so you can always throw in a modern motherboard/cpu/ram combo later down the road if you want to keep the case.


    What about the speed of transfer files?
    Reply to Abd_3_
  4. The motherboard has six 3 Gbit/s sata 2.0 ports
    Reply to kboyer36
  5. kboyer36 said:
    The motherboard has six 3 Gbit/s sata 2.0 ports


    What I mean is how much time it will take to transfer 30gb of data for example of course compared to sata 3
    Reply to Abd_3_
  6. Sata 2 has a max transfer rate of 3 Gigabit per second or approx 0.375 Gigabytes per second. Sata 3 has a max transfer speed of 6 Gigabit a second or 0.75 Gigabytes a second.

    In a perfect world, the transfer speeds would be as follows.

    Sata II = 30/.375 = 80 seconds
    Sata III = 30/.75 = 40 seconds

    Now, these are maximum speeds which are rarely ever reached but still shows that for every day use, you will likely get better performance out of a sata III bus. That being said, if that is a deciding factor for getting this computer, you can always purchase a PCI Sata III controller card that will give you the higher transfer speeds.
    Reply to kboyer36
  7. kboyer36 said:
    Sata 2 has a max transfer rate of 3 Gigabit per second or approx 0.375 Gigabytes per second. Sata 3 has a max transfer speed of 6 Gigabit a second or 0.75 Gigabytes a second.

    In a perfect world, the transfer speeds would be as follows.

    Sata II = 30/.375 = 80 seconds
    Sata III = 30/.75 = 40 seconds

    Now, these are maximum speeds which are rarely ever reached but still shows that for every day use, you will likely get better performance out of a sata III bus. That being said, if that is a deciding factor for getting this computer, you can always purchase a PCI Sata III controller card that will give you the higher transfer speeds.


    Can you tell me what is your PC's specs?
    Reply to Abd_3_
  8. Abd_3_ said:
    kboyer36 said:
    Sata 2 has a max transfer rate of 3 Gigabit per second or approx 0.375 Gigabytes per second. Sata 3 has a max transfer speed of 6 Gigabit a second or 0.75 Gigabytes a second.

    In a perfect world, the transfer speeds would be as follows.

    Sata II = 30/.375 = 80 seconds
    Sata III = 30/.75 = 40 seconds

    Now, these are maximum speeds which are rarely ever reached but still shows that for every day use, you will likely get better performance out of a sata III bus. That being said, if that is a deciding factor for getting this computer, you can always purchase a PCI Sata III controller card that will give you the higher transfer speeds.


    Can you tell me what is your PC's specs?


    Sadly, I no longer have the original hardware in that case to reference. I upgraded it's motherboard to a Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger almost two years ago. However, a good source of information on the computer is the Wikipedia page for the computer. There is detailed information on the hardware inside it as well as some tips on upgrading it.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_XPS_730x
    Reply to kboyer36
  9. Thanks guys
    Your answers were very helpful
    Reply to Abd_3_
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Video Games Dell Studio Xps Gaming