GTX 1060 6gb VS RX 580 8gb

I know this question has been asked around a lot.
I've been planning a GPU upgrade for about a month and still am undecided. I've been an AMD user for as far back as I can remember but this time i wasn't even looking the AMD way and was set on buying the 1060 (due to Nvidia's GameWorks) until I heard stuff like the RX 580 outperforming the 1060 in most DX12 games after the latest driver updates (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQgZGzk-Kwg). I wanted to get others opinion on this matter.
I would also like to know which card would age better (Future proof at. Yeah I know, no card is future proof but I'm ready to drop some settings after a couple of years, at least 2).
BTW I play on 1080p.
Thanks in advance.
Reply to Gameroo7
25 answers Last reply
More about gtx 1060 6gb 580 8gb
  1. I went with the 580 on my last 2 builds.

    I have the Limited and Special Editions of the 580's.

    Reply to SR-71 Blackbird
  2. They are comparable cards and their performance will probably be heavily game dependent which one is better. Personally I prefer Nvidia, but my advice just get whatever card is cheaper.

    Here's a good video detailing both performance.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBjx1QYAt1Q
    Reply to richiestang_78
  3. I also went with the RX-580. In my case the Sapphire Nitro + 580 with 4GB.
    Plays games well.
    Nice build Blackbird.
    Reply to gdmaclew
  4. gdmaclew said:
    I also went with the RX-580. In my case the Sapphire Nitro + 580 with 4GB.
    Plays games well.
    Nice build Blackbird.


    Thanks this one is actually for my youngest sons XMAS gift...He will be psyched.
    Reply to SR-71 Blackbird
  5. just go which ever is cheaper to you. DX12 is hit and miss. in battlefront 2 for example AMD is a bit faster than nvidia using DX12 but using DX11 actually still significantly faster for both nvidia and AMD. also there are other games where in DX12 nvidia end up being faster. in the end it is not much different how it was in the past? the game will running faster depending which GPU vendor sponsored the game. about which cards will age better we simply don't know. they said in the past Fury X will end up significantly better than nvidia 980ti in the future just how it was with 780ti vs 290X. now look what happen to Fury X. far from being significantly faster than 980ti it was murdered even by RX580 right now.
    Reply to renz496
  6. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    I went with the 580 on my last 2 builds.

    I have the Limited and Special Editions of the 580's.




    What would you say if i told you that my monitor supports FreeSync?
    BTW I would have to upgrade my PSU as well if i go the AMD way but it won't cost much after i trade in my PSU.
    Reply to Gameroo7
  7. If your monitor supports Freesync, basically that changes the whole topic and you should've really just mentioned it in your Original message lol.

    RX 580 is your way to go, no point in taking a GTX 1060 in such a case. Which power supply do you use btw?
    Reply to RCFProd
  8. RCFProd said:
    If your monitor supports Freesync, basically that changes the whole topic and you should've really just mentioned it in your Original message lol.

    RX 580 is your way to go, no point in taking a GTX 1060 in such a case. Which power supply do you use btw?


    In my original message i forgot about my monitor supporting FreeSync.
    My PSU is a 500w cooler master. I dont remember the exact Model but I know that I need to change it because it has no 6 or 8 pin connectors.
    Reply to Gameroo7
  9. Gameroo7 said:
    RCFProd said:
    If your monitor supports Freesync, basically that changes the whole topic and you should've really just mentioned it in your Original message lol.

    RX 580 is your way to go, no point in taking a GTX 1060 in such a case. Which power supply do you use btw?


    In my original message i forgot about my monitor supporting FreeSync.
    My PSU is a 500w cooler master. I dont remember the exact Model but I know that I need to change it because it has no 6 or 8 pin connectors.


    not even one 6 pin?
    Reply to renz496
  10. renz496 said:
    not even one 6 pin?


    Not even a six pin.
    Reply to Gameroo7
  11. BTW with about the FreeSync, my monitor doesn't support FreeSync through HDMI only through DisplayPort and my experience with DisplayPort is not very pleasant. I tried to use DisplayPort on the monitor that i had before I got this monitor I got display through it for a few seconds and then the screen went blank. I replaced the monitor never even got display, replaced the wire never got display and tried it with a different PC and still got no display only a black screen. What could have caused this? Can the difference of DisplayPort versions on monitor and GPU cause this? Anywho my current monitor has a DisplayPort 1.2A.
    Reply to Gameroo7
  12. renz496 said:
    just go which ever is cheaper to you. DX12 is hit and miss. in battlefront 2 for example AMD is a bit faster than nvidia using DX12 but using DX11 actually still significantly faster for both nvidia and AMD. also there are other games where in DX12 nvidia end up being faster. in the end it is not much different how it was in the past? the game will running faster depending which GPU vendor sponsored the game. about which cards will age better we simply don't know. they said in the past Fury X will end up significantly better than nvidia 980ti in the future just how it was with 780ti vs 290X. now look what happen to Fury X. far from being significantly faster than 980ti it was murdered even by RX580 right now.


    BTW once upon a time there were games that locked out some Nvidia GameWorks features for AMD users are games like this still coming out? Because I haven't seen one in a long time.
    Reply to Gameroo7
  13. Gameroo7 said:
    renz496 said:
    not even one 6 pin?


    Not even a six pin.


    Cooler Master 500w without even a 6-pin seems unrealistic. Which model is it?
    Reply to RCFProd
  14. RCFProd said:
    Gameroo7 said:
    renz496 said:
    not even one 6 pin?


    Not even a six pin.


    Cooler Master 500w without even a 6-pin seems unrealistic. Which model is it?

    Just checked Its an Extreme Power Plus 500w
    And upon Rechecking I also found out that it has a 6-pin connector. I always Thought it was a 4-pin connector for some reason. But I still need to change it.
    Or use a molex to 8-pin converter (never).
    Reply to Gameroo7
  15. Nah don't use those molex converters.

    There are reference RX 480's with a 6-pin connector if you can find one.

    The RX 570 isn't that much worse than the RX 580 either, and think you have a few 6-pin models of those too.
    Reply to RCFProd
  16. RCFProd said:
    Nah don't use those molex converters.

    There are reference RX 480's with a 6-pin connector if you can find one.

    The RX 570 isn't that much worse than the RX 580 either, and think you have a few 6-pin models of those too.


    Finding reference cards in my country is quite a chore. 570s are about 10% slower and cost about the same. The easiest and best way is to change my PSU with the money i save by buying a 580 (over a 1060) roughly about 30$.
    Reply to Gameroo7
  17. Well FreeSync work by taking advantage of Vesa Adaptive sync feature for display port. That's why Freesync only work with display port. For the 8 pin you can use 2x4 pin to 1x 8 pin molex. Though you probably better get much better PSU if you can afford it. Factory overclocked RX580 is quite power hungry. Because of the much higher clock it can consume twice as much as what 1060 use. Some people will tell you to undervolt but the thing with undervolt is they are not guaranteed to work well for every card. And finally gameworks. We still see them but gameworks or not game sponsored by nvidia tend to run better on their hardware and vice versa. Though there are some exception to this (also true for both nvidia and AMD).
    Reply to renz496
  18. renz496 said:
    Well FreeSync work by taking advantage of Vesa Adaptive sync feature for display port. That's why Freesync only work with display port.


    This is not entirely true, though. There are FreeSync monitors being sold (including the one I own) that work over HDMI.
    Reply to RCFProd
  19. RCFProd said:
    renz496 said:
    Well FreeSync work by taking advantage of Vesa Adaptive sync feature for display port. That's why Freesync only work with display port.


    This is not entirely true, though. There are FreeSync monitors being sold (including the one I own) that work over HDMI.


    i know there are work towards it. though i never know actual product that actually use it (GSync over HDMI also possible but nvidia probably will not going to allow it happen). also it seems HDMI will have their own spec when it comes to VRR. and most importantly i don't know how the support from AMD since it is not official.
    Reply to renz496
  20. ''and most importantly i don't know how the support from AMD since it is not official.''

    Not sure, they cover a PDF presentation about FreeSync over HDMI here:
    https://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-hdmi.pdf

    LG is selling HDMI-enabled FreeSync monitors, including the LG 24MP68VQ-P that I use.
    Reply to RCFProd
  21. renz496 said:
    Well FreeSync work by taking advantage of Vesa Adaptive sync feature for display port. That's why Freesync only work with display port. For the 8 pin you can use 2x4 pin to 1x 8 pin molex. Though you probably better get much better PSU if you can afford it. Factory overclocked RX580 is quite power hungry. Because of the much higher clock it can consume twice as much as what 1060 use. Some people will tell you to undervolt but the thing with undervolt is they are not guaranteed to work well for every card. And finally gameworks. We still see them but gameworks or not game sponsored by nvidia tend to run better on their hardware and vice versa. Though there are some exception to this (also true for both nvidia and AMD).


    I know that most monitors support FreeSync only through DisplayPort. But no one seems to comment about the problem that i had with DisplayPort. I looked through many websites and forums never really got a solution to that. I've never tried to use the monitor that I currently own with DisplayPort,
    Reply to Gameroo7
  22. Which monitor and which graphics card do you currently use?
    Reply to RCFProd
  23. RCFProd said:
    Which monitor and which graphics card do you currently use?


    I currently have a ViewSonic VX2457-mhd and had a Radeon R9 270 which i sold. The monitor that i got before this one was A an HP Elite Display something something.
    Reply to Gameroo7
  24. When you used the DisplayPort, did you enable FreeSync mode by accident or was it enabled without you being aware? The R9 270 does not support FreeSync, it might have something to do with it.

    Is there a DisplayPort entry on your mobo which you could perhaps try aswell?
    Reply to RCFProd
  25. RCFProd said:
    When you used the DisplayPort, did you enable FreeSync mode by accident or was it enabled without you being aware? The R9 270 does not support FreeSync, it might have something to do with it.

    Is there a DisplayPort entry on your mobo which you could perhaps try aswell?


    I know that R9 270 does not support FreeSync and neither did the Monitor (HP). And when you go to Crimson with R9 270 the it tells you that your hardware does not support FreeSync so i didn't turn it on. I got display for like a minute and then the screen went blank.
    No DisplayPort on my mobo but i tried another PC with multiple monitors and those multiple monitors with another PC after that still got no display. Returned the monitor got a refund and bought this monitor (ViewSonic) it had an HDMI so i never used the DisplayPort on this. Well let the new card arrive (God know when cuz I haven't even orderd yet) and then i will check it again.
    Anyways I will be ordering the RX 580 this Sunday (Probably). Will let you know how it goes. And if I still face problems with DisplayPort i will start a new thread
    Thank you guys.
    Reply to Gameroo7
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Zotac AMD Sapphire Nvidia Gtx GPUs Graphics Cards Radeon