FX 6300 won't go past 3.9 ghz

Motherboard: ASRock 970 extreme 3 r2.0
CPU: FX 6300 3.9 ghz (4.2 ghz turbo)
RAM: 12 gb 1333 mhz corsair
no matter what I do, increasing the multiplier to x20 (4000 mhz) results in a inevitable blue screen. What can I do to push it further?
Reply to yeti_yeti
13 answers Last reply
More about 6300 past ghz
  1. Did you raise voltage too ? Turn off turbo and power saving modes ?
    Reply to CountMike
  2. CountMike said:
    Did you raise voltage too ? Turn off turbo and power saving modes ?

    I did increase the voltage a bit, my turbo is turned to "Enabled" and oc'd to 4.2 Ghz. Should it be turned off?
    Reply to yeti_yeti
  3. Yes, it should be off.
    Reply to CountMike
  4. CountMike said:
    Yes, it should be off.

    turned it off, still getting bluescreens
    Reply to yeti_yeti
  5. What's your starting voltage ? Don't worry if 1.5v or a bit less.
    BTW, are you raising FSB or multiplier to OC ? If you are changing FSB than RAM also goes up and PCIe should be set manually on 100.
    Reply to CountMike
  6. CountMike said:
    What's your starting voltage ? Don't worry if 1.5v or a bit less.
    BTW, are you raising FSB or multiplier to OC ? If you are changing FSB than RAM also goes up and PCIe should be set manually on 100.

    I am raising the voltage, as increasing my clock speed from 200, makes my pc performance awful for no reason. My PCI frequency is set to 100 by default. Btw huge thanks for sticking around and helping me!
    Reply to yeti_yeti
  7. I just switched from FX 6350 and GA-990XA-UD3, had it at 4.8GHz and it needed 1.52v. It was under water cooler.
    Beware if you are raising FSB, it also raises memory speed that way. It's much easier to raise just the multiplier as it doesn't influence other parts.
    Reply to CountMike
  8. CountMike said:
    I just switched from FX 6350 and GA-990XA-UD3, had it at 4.8GHz and it needed 1.52v. It was under water cooler.
    Beware if you are raising FSB, it also raises memory speed that way. It's much easier to raise just the multiplier as it doesn't influence other parts.

    I randomly managed to get it to 4ghz but the performance seemed worse then on 3.9. Any reason this could be happening?
    Reply to yeti_yeti
  9. Temperature or power delivery, two usual suspects.
    Reply to CountMike
  10. CountMike said:
    Temperature or power delivery, two usual suspects.

    My temperature seems mostly fine, what do you mean by power delivery and is there any way to improve it? Thanks in advance :)
    Edit: Got it to stable 4 ghz on 1.27 v. Do you think i should try to push it further, because my cooler and motherboard aren't exactly the best (I have Arctic Freezer 7)
    Reply to yeti_yeti
  11. You can try as far as temps are fine and don't go over 1.5v but VRM on that MB is of concern , it's only 4+1.
    Reply to CountMike
  12. CountMike said:
    You can try as far as temps are fine and don't go over 1.5v but VRM on that MB is of concern , it's only 4+1.

    Is my voltage not too high?Ive seen people getting to 3.9 or 4 without any additional voltage.
    Reply to yeti_yeti
  13. There-s also that darn luck of the draw or "Silicone lottery" but AMD says that up to 1.5v is fine, only problem could be cooling and VRM.
    Reply to CountMike
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking Motherboards