Solved

Desktop Build Ranking and Components Compartibility

Hello everyone,

I would like you to check the components I have chosen for my desktop pc build and tell me if they are compatible altogether as well as rank its performance. I don’t want you to make any other suggestions just talk about those components because they fit to my budget.

Here they are:

Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC PRO
Processor: Intel Core i5 7600K
Power Supply: EVGA 650 B3
Box: Aerocool Aero 500
RAM: Adata 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5’’ SATA III
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSD1
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Thank you in advance
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about desktop build ranking components compartibility
  1. Z370 mobo is NOT compatible with 7600K CPU.
    EVGA B3 line is not advised PSU, they have all problems with over power protection.
    gtx 1050 ti would be a mismatch with CPU, you would want at least gtx 1060 for balanced build.
    7600K comes without cooler, so your build is incomplete.
  2. i5-8400 instead if you want to use that Z370 board and you don't want to overclock. That CPU will at least come with a cooler.
    Agreed, a GTX1060 would be a better fit.
    And the power supply could be changed out for something like a Seasonic 620W or a Corsair CX 550W or 650W.
  3. DRagor said:
    Z370 mobo is NOT compatible with 7600K CPU.
    EVGA B3 line is not advised PSU, they have all problems with over power protection.
    gtx 1050 ti would be a mismatch with CPU, you would want at least gtx 1060 for balanced build.
    7600K comes without cooler, so your build is incomplete.


    Well to tell the truth despite the fact that I study computer science I have never built a computer on my own so I don’t know many things. However, at the mobo’s specifications I have read that it is compatible with i5 processors. Additionally, I think that the box already has a cooler. Anyway, what do you suggest to change and how would you rank its overall performance?
  4. xtbfe said:

    Well to tell the truth despite the fact that I study computer science I have never built a computer on my own so I don’t know many things. However, at the mobo’s specifications I have read that it is compatible with i5 processors. Additionally, I think that the box already has a cooler. Anyway, what do you suggest to change and how would you rank its overall performance?


    Z370 is compatible ONLY with 8th gen CPUs. 7600K is 7th gen. And no, this CPU does not have cooler.
    Performance is always limited by weakest part - and in your setup weakest part is GPU, which would limit it to low-medium level. So you should either get better GPU (gtx 1060 6Gb preferably) or get a weaker CPU. For a mobo-CPU mismatch, I agree with Eximo, 8th gen is the way to go, so you should look for i5-8400 CPU and Z370 mobo. But if you can't get 8400 (because availability may be an issue), you may consider keeping 7600K CPU and get Z270 motherboard (and a cooler). In both cases you can consider getting faster ram, but that is not mandatory - better GPU has priority over faster RAM.
  5. DRagor said:
    xtbfe said:

    Well to tell the truth despite the fact that I study computer science I have never built a computer on my own so I don’t know many things. However, at the mobo’s specifications I have read that it is compatible with i5 processors. Additionally, I think that the box already has a cooler. Anyway, what do you suggest to change and how would you rank its overall performance?


    Z370 is compatible ONLY with 8th gen CPUs. 7600K is 7th gen. And no, this CPU does not have cooler.
    Performance is always limited by weakest part - and in your setup weakest part is GPU, which would limit it to low-medium level. So you should either get better GPU (gtx 1060 6Gb preferably) or get a weaker CPU. For a mobo-CPU mismatch, I agree with Eximo, 8th gen is the way to go, so you should look for i5-8400 CPU and Z370 mobo. But if you can't get 8400 (because availability may be an issue), you may consider keeping 7600K CPU and get Z270 motherboard (and a cooler). In both cases you can consider getting faster ram, but that is not mandatory - better GPU has priority over faster RAM.


    Well, I saw all the suggestions you made and probably I should keep the 7600K and get a cooler and a different motherboard because of my limited budget. How would you build your desktop if you could spend 800-850€?
  6. Best answer
    I don't know which country in EU you are, as prices can vary quite a bit. Examples below are based on Germany prices.
    The build with gtx 1060 after changes would be above 1000, not counting Windows price.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor (€219.90 @ Caseking)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler (€34.90 @ Caseking)
    Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€149.90 @ Caseking)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€152.56 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€49.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card (€299.00 @ Caseking)
    Case: Aerocool - Aero-500 Window White ATX Mid Tower Case (€53.50 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€70.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Optical Drive: LG - GH24NSD1 DVD/CD Writer (€17.93 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €1048.37
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-15 13:38 CET+0100

    On the other hand, build balanced for gtx 1050 ti, is below 800, again without Windows (no cooler required here as 7500 comes with one).

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€184.90 @ Caseking)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€68.66 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€152.56 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€49.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card (€169.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Aerocool - Aero-500 Window White ATX Mid Tower Case (€53.50 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€70.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Optical Drive: LG - GH24NSD1 DVD/CD Writer (€17.93 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €768.22
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-15 13:44 CET+0100

    As you can see, the biggest jump is in price of GPU. Also memory seems to be very expensive.
  7. Thank you very much for your recommendations. However, because prices are different in my country and I wasn't able to find some of those parts, I tried once again to make a combination of some of them with others. Check them and tell me your opinion.

    CPU: Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard: Asus Prime Z270-A
    Memory: TeamGroup Night Hawk 16GB DDR4-3200MHz
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
    Case: Aerocool - Aero-500 Window
    Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB 650W
  8. Fine. While you don't need Z270, however it gives you nice option of CPU upgrade (you will be able to drop best 7th gen CPU there without any problem), plus you can use it to get full speed out of the RAM sticks. PSU is okay. All should work together nicely. As for future upgrades, I would start with adding SSD first, then probably better GPU and better CPU as the last move.
  9. Yes, Z270E is excellent mobo, with built in WiFi, and of course will work with the rest of components, but it is quite expensive.
  10. DRagor said:
    Fine. While you don't need Z270, however it gives you nice option of CPU upgrade (you will be able to drop best 7th gen CPU there without any problem), plus you can use it to get full speed out of the RAM sticks. PSU is okay. All should work together nicely. As for future upgrades, I would start with adding SSD first, then probably better GPU and better CPU as the last move.


    Can I also buy MSI Z270 Gaming M6 AC as a mobo?
  11. xtbfe said:

    Can I also buy MSI Z270 Gaming M6 AC as a mobo?


    Yes, it will do too.
  12. Thank you very much! You helped me a lot!!
  13. DRagor said:
    xtbfe said:

    Can I also buy MSI Z270 Gaming M6 AC as a mobo?


    Yes, it will do too.


    One last help. I have raised my budget and now I am able to buy this build too. How does it seem?

    Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z270E Gaming
    Processor: Intel Core i5 7600
    Case: Aerocool Aero-500
    RAM: TeamGroup Night Hawk 16GB DDR4-3200MHz
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5’’ SATA III
    Graphics Card: Inno 3D GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Compact

    And one of the power supplies you recommended me
  14. Very good. However, for pure performance, I would get cheaper motherboard (say, that Asus Z270-A) and more costly CPU i5-7600K along with H7 cooler - that should be about same price, but better performance.
Ask a new question

Read More

Desktops Build Components