Nvidia GeForce 1060 or an AMD alternative for the same price?

Hi,

I have the budget to buy Nvidia GeForce 1060, should I get it or get an AMD alternative (Such as RX 580)? Also given the fact that I have an AMD CPU (AMD FX 6300).

Is Vulkan support better on AMD GPUs than on Nvidia?

I have only a few months left for my Windows activation Windows Evaluation, so I am willing to just ditch it and go for Ubuntu (Linux), which GPU type has better Linux support? Nvidia (Proprietary) or AMD (AMDGPU)?
Reply to AssemblerX86
7 answers Last reply
More about nvidia geforce 1060 amd alternative price
  1. AssemblerX86 said:
    Hi,

    I have the budget to buy Nvidia GeForce 1060, should I get it or get an AMD alternative (Such as RX 580)? Also given the fact that I have an AMD CPU (AMD FX 6300).

    Is Vulkan support better on AMD GPUs than on Nvidia?

    I have only a few months left for my Windows activation, so I am willing to just ditch it and go for Ubuntu (Linux), which GPU type has better Linux support? Nvidia (Proprietary) or AMD (AMDGPU)?


    a 6300 is really not good enough for gpu's of that level


    gtx 1050 ti is about max it can handle
    Reply to maxalge
  2. maxalge said:
    AssemblerX86 said:
    Hi,

    I have the budget to buy Nvidia GeForce 1060, should I get it or get an AMD alternative (Such as RX 580)? Also given the fact that I have an AMD CPU (AMD FX 6300).

    Is Vulkan support better on AMD GPUs than on Nvidia?

    I have only a few months left for my Windows activation, so I am willing to just ditch it and go for Ubuntu (Linux), which GPU type has better Linux support? Nvidia (Proprietary) or AMD (AMDGPU)?


    a 6300 is really not good enough for gpu's of that level


    gtx 1050 ti is about max it can handle


    Isn't CPU usage game dependent? And of course I can upgrade it later, but the main issue here is the GPU.
    Reply to AssemblerX86
  3. Obviously the vulkan api is better on amd .
    That said RX 580's (which are 1060 performance level) are still well overpriced.

    No reason you can't pair a 1060 with the 6300 for the time being.

    What do you mean you only have a few months windows activation left ??

    Windows licenses dont expire, you won't have a lot of fun gaming on Linux .
    Reply to madmatt30
  4. madmatt30 said:
    Obviously the vulkan api is better on amd .
    That said RX 580's (which are 1060 performance level) are still well overpriced.

    No reason you can't pair a 1060 with the 6300 for the time being.

    What do you mean you only have a few months windows activation left ??

    Windows licenses dont expire, you won't have a lot of fun gaming on Linux .


    I am thinking of getting the 3GB version of the 1060 (Which suits my budget), or should I go for the 4GB RX 580 (Almost $50 difference)? Or maybe 1050 Ti with 4GB?
    Reply to AssemblerX86
  5. AssemblerX86 said:
    maxalge said:
    AssemblerX86 said:
    Hi,

    I have the budget to buy Nvidia GeForce 1060, should I get it or get an AMD alternative (Such as RX 580)? Also given the fact that I have an AMD CPU (AMD FX 6300).

    Is Vulkan support better on AMD GPUs than on Nvidia?

    I have only a few months left for my Windows activation, so I am willing to just ditch it and go for Ubuntu (Linux), which GPU type has better Linux support? Nvidia (Proprietary) or AMD (AMDGPU)?


    a 6300 is really not good enough for gpu's of that level


    gtx 1050 ti is about max it can handle


    Isn't CPU usage game dependent? And of course I can upgrade it later, but the main issue here is the GPU.


    if you dont intend to upgrade soon then simply getting a 1050 ti now and saving for a higher end gpu down the line along with a complete system rebuild is a much better idea


    the fx are really way past the time of upgrading, at this point even bottom level i3's and four core ryzen's are a significant upgrade
    Reply to maxalge
  6. Your choice , the 580 4gb is better but maybe not $50 better (they were roughly the same price in release)

    You'd be doing yourself a disservice with the 1050 ti if you can afford the 1060.

    What are the prices on those 2 cards ??
    Reply to madmatt30
  7. maxalge said:

    if you dont intend to upgrade soon then simply getting a 1050 ti now and saving for a higher end gpu down the line along with a complete system rebuild is a much better idea


    the fx are really way past the time of upgrading, at this point even bottom level i3's and four core ryzen's are a significant upgrade


    The price difference between the 1050 Ti and the 1060 wont give me much benefit for a whole system upgrade, you are talking about a new MOBO, a new CPU, and DDR4 RAM sticks, that's too much for me right now, I guess I will stick to the FX 6300 until I can do a big upgrade, I am not an intensive gamer anyways, so the FX 6300 wont be much of a bottleneck.

    madmatt30 said:
    Your choice , the 580 4gb is better but maybe not $50 better (they were roughly the same price in release)

    You'd be doing yourself a disservice with the 1050 ti if you can afford the 1060.

    What are the prices on those 2 cards ??


    In my country (With taxes and imports and stuff):

    The 1060 3GB is: ~$317
    The RX 580 4GB is: ~$365
    The 1050 Ti 4GB is: ~$238

    As for lower end GPUs:
    The 1050 2GB (Not Ti): ~$169 with Rocket League :P
    The RX 550 4GB is: $141
    Reply to AssemblerX86
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Nvidia Windows Ubuntu AMD Geforce Linux