Hard drive detected by the OS but not by the BIOS!

I run Linux Mint on the old MSI mobo KV8SE De Luxe. I have connected 4 ATA drives and like to add a SATA drive. The SATA is detected by the OS and working. But not by the BIOS! So I cannot boot it. I neither can boot it through GRUB2 from one of the ATA disks. Very strange! Any idea?
Reply to ger3rd
12 answers Last reply
More about hard drive detected bios
  1. I can't find anything on that motherboard. You sure that is the correct make and model?
    Reply to drtweak
  2. drtweak said:
    I can't find anything on that motherboard. You sure that is the correct make and model?


    Hi drtweak!
    No wonder you couldn't find anything.
    It's the ASUS K8VSE De Luxe
    Sorry!
    Hope you can help me!
    ger3rd
    Reply to ger3rd
  3. unfortunatly I can't find any manuals on it. I know that board had two different SATA/ATA Chipsets on it so that would be something to do with it. I know back in the day of my first board with SATA in order to boot from them I think i had to change some settings in the BIOS. I can't remember what it was or what board it was. I also can't remember if I lost two ATA ports becuase of it or not either.
    Reply to drtweak
  4. drtweak said:
    unfortunatly I can't find any manuals on it. I know that board had two different SATA/ATA Chipsets on it so that would be something to do with it. I know back in the day of my first board with SATA in order to boot from them I think i had to change some settings in the BIOS. I can't remember what it was or what board it was. I also can't remember if I lost two ATA ports becuase of it or not either.


    Manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10105/Asus-Asus-K8v-Se.html
    Does this help?
    Reply to ger3rd
  5. Yup sure does! Also you aren't running any RAID on the ATA Drives are you? I'm at work so i will check it out later today.
    Reply to drtweak
  6. drtweak said:
    Yup sure does! Also you aren't running any RAID on the ATA Drives are you? I'm at work so i will check it out later today.


    No, ain't using RAID!
    Reply to ger3rd
  7. yea nothing in there.

    So when you go to the Boot menu and change the boot order the SATA drive isn't listed? Try unplugging all ATA drives and just have SATA and check BIOS
    Reply to drtweak
  8. Also on the Main Menu Screen in the BIOS you have Primary and secondary IDE master. The Third and Fourth are the two SATA drives as well. Do they now the hard drive there?

    Also under IDE Configuration what is set in there.
    Reply to drtweak
  9. Hi drtweak!
    The first thing I did was of course disabling the IDE-drives.
    Result: no trace of the SATA-drive.
    If I start my OS (Linux Mint) the SATA-drive is listed in the Storage Information.....as an ATA-drive, just as the other 3 hdd's!
    But whatever I tried, it refuses to appear in the Boot Order list.
    There might be a bug in the BIOS, maybe I should update it
    Reply to ger3rd
  10. The reason why it shows as a ATA drive is because it is using the IDE protocal. AHCI wasn't out till at least 5-6 years after this motherboard was made so it will show as a ATA Device. SATA drives are ATA drives just It is a Serial ATA vs a Parallel ATA using the IDE protocal.

    I would try updating if there are any updates.

    But does it show as IDE drive 3 or 4 in the BIOS though?
    Reply to drtweak
  11. Found out that it was not necessary to flash the BIOS.
    I just had to enable the Yukon PXE (Pre-Boot execution environment) in the BIOS and run it before being able to enable the SATA Bootrom in the BIOS.
    Now the SATA-drive shows up in the BIOS
    Thank you for suggestions, drtweak!
    Reply to ger3rd
  12. Yukon PXE. Damn. Yea I'm sure if i had the motherboard in front of me i would have figured it out lol but kind of hard. Glad you got it working though!
    Reply to drtweak
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Linux Mint BIOS Boot Hard Drives SATA