4 pin to 8 splitter?

Hi!

I've been struggling with my (first) new build for about two weeks now. After changing the motherboard i came to realize that it was just the CPU power cable that was not correct. (Yes i'm still a noob at all this)

Now my question is: My PSU only has a 4 pin and a 6 pin power cable, could i use a 4 to 8 pin splitter ? My CPU requires an 8 pin cable.

The other option is to use my regular 4 pin cable and use a 6 to 4 pin splitter. Then i would use 2- 4 pin cables in the 8 pin power input.

Thanks in advance!
Reply to j_bur
7 answers Last reply
More about pin splitter
  1. j_bur said:
    Hi!

    I've been struggling with my (first) new build for about two weeks now. After changing the motherboard i came to realize that it was just the CPU power cable that was not correct. (Yes i'm still a noob at all this)

    Now my question is: My PSU only has a 4 pin and a 6 pin power cable, could i use a 4 to 8 pin splitter ? My CPU requires an 8 pin cable.

    The other option is to use my regular 4 pin cable and use a 6 to 4 pin splitter. Then i would use 2- 4 pin cables in the 8 pin power input.

    Thanks in advance!


    No and no. You will starve it with the 4 pin and fry it with the 6. Please purchase a new PSU.
    Reply to aquielisunari
  2. aquielisunari said:
    j_bur said:
    Hi!

    I've been struggling with my (first) new build for about two weeks now. After changing the motherboard i came to realize that it was just the CPU power cable that was not correct. (Yes i'm still a noob at all this)

    Now my question is: My PSU only has a 4 pin and a 6 pin power cable, could i use a 4 to 8 pin splitter ? My CPU requires an 8 pin cable.

    The other option is to use my regular 4 pin cable and use a 6 to 4 pin splitter. Then i would use 2- 4 pin cables in the 8 pin power input.

    Thanks in advance!


    No and no. You will starve it with the 4 pin and fry it with the 6. Please purchase a new PSU.


    Thanks alot for this reply, i will probably have to save up for a new PSU.
    Reply to j_bur
  3. 4-pin is rated to deliver at least 192w and often 240w which should be plenty for any modern 95w consumer CPU. Usually you just plug the 4-pin plug directly into the 8-pin (it only fits one way) and it works.

    As things age, particularly if the connectors have been through many mating cycles and have got looser, resistance can increase to the point that the plug melts and this is much more likely to occur with a 4-pin than a less stressed 8-pin. The 8-pin EPS12v plug was intended to power multiple CPUs up to 336w but the motherboard manufacturers are using it to reduce RMA rates.
    Reply to BFG-9000
  4. j_bur said:
    aquielisunari said:
    j_bur said:
    Hi!

    I've been struggling with my (first) new build for about two weeks now. After changing the motherboard i came to realize that it was just the CPU power cable that was not correct. (Yes i'm still a noob at all this)

    Now my question is: My PSU only has a 4 pin and a 6 pin power cable, could i use a 4 to 8 pin splitter ? My CPU requires an 8 pin cable.

    The other option is to use my regular 4 pin cable and use a 6 to 4 pin splitter. Then i would use 2- 4 pin cables in the 8 pin power input.

    Thanks in advance!


    No and no. You will starve it with the 4 pin and fry it with the 6. Please purchase a new PSU.


    Thanks alot for this reply, i will probably have to save up for a new PSU.


    Anonymous said:
    4-pin is rated to deliver at least 192w and often 240w which should be plenty for any modern 95w consumer CPU. Usually you just plug the 4-pin plug directly into the 8-pin (it only fits one way) and it works.

    As things age, particularly if the connectors have been through many mating cycles and have got looser, resistance can increase to the point that the plug melts and this is much more likely to occur with a 4-pin than a less stressed 8-pin. The 8-pin EPS12v plug was intended to power multiple CPUs up to 336w but the motherboard manufacturers are using it to reduce RMA rates.


    So no adapter and everything will be fine? Does your answer apply to those who OC as well? Use it with the 4 pin until a new PSU can be purchased. A stop-gap measure? Possible but not recommended?
    Reply to aquielisunari
  5. The 6pin one should never be used for a CPU, it is most likely a GPU power supply.

    What are the full specs and including make and model of the PSU.
    Reply to 13thmonkey
  6. j-bur said: "So no adapter and everything will be fine? Does your answer apply to those who OC as well? Use it with the 4 pin until a new PSU can be purchased. A stop-gap measure? Possible but not recommended?"

    You were not told it's okay to use the 4-pin "until a new PSU can be purchased" - - nobody here told you to do that.

    You were asked to "Please purchase a new PSU" -- that means now, not sometime in the future.

    Read carefully the replies that you get!
    Reply to Phillip Corcoran
  7. Phillip Corcoran said:
    j-bur said: "So no adapter and everything will be fine? Does your answer apply to those who OC as well? Use it with the 4 pin until a new PSU can be purchased. A stop-gap measure? Possible but not recommended?"

    You were not told it's okay to use the 4-pin "until a new PSU can be purchased" - - nobody here told you to do that.

    You were asked to "Please purchase a new PSU" -- that means now, not sometime in the future.

    Read carefully the replies that you get!


    Actually Aquielisunari said that:D I was asking for clarification because the answer seems to imply that it will be okay for now. I gleaned that from

    Quote:
    4-pin is rated to deliver at least 192w and often 240w which should be plenty for any modern 95w consumer CPU


    Personally I don't think it's a good idea but I'm not exactly(or even close) to being an expert with PSUs.
    Reply to aquielisunari
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Power Supplies Power Cable CPUs Motherboards New Build