Solved

Motherboard compatibility with R9 270 2gb

So here is a thing i have really old computer and i wanted to buy new GPU and im interested in R9 270 2gb so i was wondering will it work on my motherboard.
MOTHERBOARD: MS-7379VP 4.0
Thanks
Reply to shoneking
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about motherboard compatibility 270 2gb
  1. Best answer
    I would think it would but i can't be sure. There is very little detailed information available about your motherboard.

    It has a PCI Express x16 slot so the R9 270 will physically fit onto the motherboard, but it's not a guarantee the 2 are electronically compatible. The R9 270 uses the PCI Express 2.1 x16 bus interface. If the motherboards x16 slot uses the PCI Express 1.1 bus interface or newer, it should work, but i'm not sure which it has.

    Spending money to upgrade such an old computer (2007) doesn't make much sense, unless the video card is very cheap.
    Reply to rocktalkrock
  2. Yes the GPU will be compatible, but whatever computer you have with a board like that, I'm fairly certain you're going to have a slue of other problems.
    GPU likely won't fit in the case, powersupply very likely insufficient, GPU overkill for 775 socket, etc
    Reply to AnonymousAndy
  3. AnonymousAndy said:
    Yes the GPU will be compatible, but whatever computer you have with a board like that, I'm fairly certain you're going to have a slue of other problems.
    GPU likely won't fit in the case, powersupply very likely insufficient, GPU overkill for 775 socket, etc


    "GPU overkill" hits the nail on the head.
    Reply to rocktalkrock
  4. rocktalkrock said:
    I would think it would but i can't be sure. There is very little detailed information available about your motherboard.

    It has a PCI Express x16 slot so the R9 270 will physically fit onto the motherboard, but it's not a guarantee the 2 are electronically compatible. The R9 270 uses the PCI Express 2.1 x16 bus interface. If the motherboards x16 slot uses the PCI Express 1.1 bus interface or newer, it should work, but i'm not sure which it has.

    Spending money to upgrade such an old computer (2007) doesn't make much sense, unless the video card is very cheap.


    So i looked about some information and i find out that my motherboard is PCI Express x16 1.1 so will it work now?
    Reply to shoneking
  5. As i said before i think it will but i can't give you a guarantee. There isn't a definite yes or no answer to your question. Here is a more detailed explanation;

    PCI Express 2.1's increase in power from the slot breaks backward compatibility between PCI Express 2.1 cards and "SOME" older motherboards [but not all] with 1.0/1.0a, but "MOST" motherboards with PCI Express 1.1 connectors are provided with a BIOS update by their manufacturers through utilities to support backward compatibility of cards with PCIe 2.1.
    Reply to rocktalkrock
  6. rocktalkrock said:
    As i said before i think it will but i can't give you a guarantee. There isn't a definite yes or no answer to your question. Here is a more detailed explanation;

    PCI Express 2.1's increase in power from the slot breaks backward compatibility between PCI Express 2.1 cards and "SOME" older motherboards [but not all] with 1.0/1.0a, but "MOST" motherboards with PCI Express 1.1 connectors are provided with a BIOS update by their manufacturers through utilities to support backward compatibility of cards with PCIe 2.1.


    I was wondering will it damage my pc i have CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 4GB RAM and my current graphic is NVIDIA GeForce 9600 gt
    Reply to shoneking
  7. shoneking said:
    rocktalkrock said:
    As i said before i think it will but i can't give you a guarantee. There isn't a definite yes or no answer to your question. Here is a more detailed explanation;

    PCI Express 2.1's increase in power from the slot breaks backward compatibility between PCI Express 2.1 cards and "SOME" older motherboards [but not all] with 1.0/1.0a, but "MOST" motherboards with PCI Express 1.1 connectors are provided with a BIOS update by their manufacturers through utilities to support backward compatibility of cards with PCIe 2.1.


    I was wondering will it damage my pc i have CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 4GB RAM and my current graphic is NVIDIA GeForce 9600 gt


    It would not damage your PC. Your problem is will the R9 270 2gb be getting enough power to run properly. The x16 slot supplies 75watts and the 6pin PCIe power connector supplies another 75watts so i think you should have just enough.

    But i still wouldn't recommend putting this card in such an old machine.
    Reply to rocktalkrock
  8. rocktalkrock said:
    shoneking said:
    rocktalkrock said:
    As i said before i think it will but i can't give you a guarantee. There isn't a definite yes or no answer to your question. Here is a more detailed explanation;

    PCI Express 2.1's increase in power from the slot breaks backward compatibility between PCI Express 2.1 cards and "SOME" older motherboards [but not all] with 1.0/1.0a, but "MOST" motherboards with PCI Express 1.1 connectors are provided with a BIOS update by their manufacturers through utilities to support backward compatibility of cards with PCIe 2.1.


    I was wondering will it damage my pc i have CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 4GB RAM and my current graphic is NVIDIA GeForce 9600 gt


    It would not damage your PC. Your problem is will the R9 270 2gb be getting enough power to run properly. The x16 slot supplies 75watts and the 6pin PCIe power connector supplies another 75watts so i think you should have just enough.

    But i still wouldn't recommend putting this card in such an old machine.


    I know my pc is old and that card is new but i will get it for free because my friend bought new one so i want to have more fps in some games that i play until i buy new PC
    Reply to shoneking
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Computers Compatibility Motherboards