Solved

cpu voltage question

I overclocked my i5 7600k on my asus maximus 8 hero motherboard. weird thing I set the voltage in the bios to 1.170v but the id programs are saying the vcore is 1.185, not a big deal but I'm just curious to why it would do that? oh and I got up to 4.7 ghz no problem very low temps using my corsair h60 cooler
Reply to packersfan036
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cpu voltage question
  1. Programs don't always read things properly, things like HWMonitor can sometimes have faulty clock speeds, tempatures, Voltages... Ect. It's just a problem with the program accessing the bios for whatever reason
    Reply to connerweatherly17
  2. Are you seeing 1.185V at load or at idle?
    What sort of temps are you getting, and what are you using to stress test?
    Reply to TJ Hooker
  3. connerweatherly17 said:
    Programs don't always read things properly, things like HWMonitor can sometimes have faulty clock speeds, tempatures, Voltages... Ect. It's just a problem with the program accessing the bios for whatever reason


    using cupid for info and intel extreme tuning utility for stress test love that program
    Reply to packersfan036
  4. It's normal for measured Vcore to be a bit different than what's set in BIOS. Also, there's something called load line calibration (LLC) that adjusts voltage under load. I believe it would normally reduce it, but for overclocking it's normal to set LLC to high, so it might increase voltage a bit.
    Reply to TJ Hooker
  5. TJ Hooker said:
    It's normal for measured Vcore to be a bit different than what's set in BIOS. Also, there's something called load line calibration (LLC) that adjusts voltage under load. I believe it would normally reduce it, but for overclocking it's normal to set LLC to high, so it might increase voltage a bit.

    By CPUID, do you mean HWMonitor? CPU-Z?


    voltage stays steady but speed changes depending on load. everything is stable temps etc no problems at 4.7 ghz.
    Reply to packersfan036
  6. What sort of temps are you getting?

    Running Prime95 v26.6 small FFTs is sort of the standard for thermal stress testing AFAIK, but I'm sure XTU is fine too.
    Reply to TJ Hooker
  7. TJ Hooker said:
    What sort of temps are you getting?

    Running Prime95 v26.6 small FFTs is sort of the standard for thermal stress testing AFAIK, but I'm sure XTU is fine too.

    29c to 31c idle 45c to 50c load
    Reply to packersfan036
  8. I'll be honest, those load temps sound suspiciously low. How long does the test last? I'd recommend giving the Prime95 test I mentioned earlier a try.
    Reply to TJ Hooker
  9. temps are correct checked in bios as well and also a few temp monitors. I hit the silicon lottery lol
    Reply to packersfan036
  10. TJ Hooker said:
    I'll be honest, those load temps sound suspiciously low. How long does the test last? I'd recommend giving the Prime95 test I mentioned earlier a try.


    I won the silicon lottery
    Reply to packersfan036
  11. Checking temps in BIOS is kind of useless, because those are idle temps. I'm not necessarily saying your temperature readings are inaccurate. It could just be that you're not running XTU long enough, or it isn't a sustained max load, such that you get true 100% load temps. Run Prime95 v26.6 small FFTs for 15+ minutes, curious what your temps would be in that case.
    Reply to TJ Hooker
  12. TJ Hooker said:
    Checking temps in BIOS is kind of useless, because those are idle temps. I'm not necessarily saying your temperature readings are inaccurate. It could just be that you're not running XTU long enough, or it isn't a sustained max load, such that you get true 100% load temps. Run Prime95 v26.6 small FFTs for 15+ minutes, curious what your temps would be in that case.


    ill run xtu longer, I don't use prime95 don't like it. and like I said I won the silicon lottery lol
    Reply to packersfan036
  13. TJ Hooker said:
    Checking temps in BIOS is kind of useless, because those are idle temps. I'm not necessarily saying your temperature readings are inaccurate. It could just be that you're not running XTU long enough, or it isn't a sustained max load, such that you get true 100% load temps. Run Prime95 v26.6 small FFTs for 15+ minutes, curious what your temps would be in that case.


    ok just ran xtu for 15 min temps under that load went to 53c I also ran cinebench same temps and a score of 759
    Reply to packersfan036
  14. Best answer
    Ok, that's pretty good then.

    I decided to try out XTU myself. It does seem to give temps about 10 degrees lower than with P95, but if that's what you want to test with that's your prerogative.
    Reply to TJ Hooker
Ask a new question Answer