Solved

MSI AERO 1080 Heat Problems. What To Do?

Hi,

So half a year ago i bought a msi aero 1080. As you might know, but sadly i didn't at that time, the Aero has notoriosly bad cooling. And mine is no exception.

During gaming the CPU just goes over 80°C more or less all the time. And the highest temp i ever experienced was during "The Witcher 3" when it hit 92°C. The image I included was measured just after i ran the Superposition Benchmark about 3 times in a row. And as you can see it just hit 85 there.


So lately i have started to wonder what my options of lowering the temperature would be. I thougt of building a custom watercooling loop. But frankly i just can't afford it at the moment. And then i thought of optimizing the Graphics Card itself. E.g. Replacing the cooling block and fan, with some from another graphics card. But i just don't know if stuff like this would even be possible/useful. So i decided to ask you guys, hope you can help me

Here is a picture of my system just to give you guys a general idea what i am talking about:


My Specs:
Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4Ghz
16Gb HyperX Fury DDR4
MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X
MSI Aero GTX 1080
Windows 10 Pro

Drivers are up to date

Edit: My Case is a nzxt s340. And i can't put the AIO Radiator on the top
Reply to fabianbachl1996
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about msi aero 1080 heat problems
  1. What happens if you play with the case side off?

    Looks like you don't have enough airflow in the case, would be better to mount the AIO in the top and put 2 fans in the front to pull cool air in.

    A good clue is the 61C idle temp, should be in the 30's or at worst low 40's if you had good airflow in the case.
    Reply to jankerson
  2. you cpu fan push air in the cooler fins toward the inside of the case directly to the gpu could you install the cooler on top to pusht air out that will reduce gpu temp also put back gpu fan on auto aand this case does not a lot of fans in for the air flow .
    Reply to scout_03
  3. jankerson said:
    What happens if you play with the case side off?

    Looks like you don't have enough airflow in the case, would be better to mount the AIO in the top and put 2 fans in the front to pull cool air in.

    A good clue is the 61C idle temp, should be in the 30's or at worst low 40's if you had good airflow in the case.


    With the case side of I didn't get over 83°C during the benchmarks.

    Sadly that isn't possible with my case. At the top, you can only mount one fan.

    This screenshot was taken directly after I ran the benchmark. So the idle temp isn't correct. Normally I get around 35°C
    Reply to fabianbachl1996
  4. scout_03 said:
    you cpu fan push air in the cooler fins toward the inside of the case directly to the gpu could you install the cooler on top to pusht air out that will reduce gpu temp also put back gpu fan on auto aand this case does not a lot of fans in for the air flow .


    Sadly I can't put the AIO on the top of the case, because the nzxt s340 doesn't provide space there
    Reply to fabianbachl1996
  5. fabianbachl1996 said:
    jankerson said:
    What happens if you play with the case side off?

    Looks like you don't have enough airflow in the case, would be better to mount the AIO in the top and put 2 fans in the front to pull cool air in.

    A good clue is the 61C idle temp, should be in the 30's or at worst low 40's if you had good airflow in the case.


    With the case side of I didn't get over 83°C during the benchmarks.

    Sadly that isn't possible with my case. At the top, you can only mount one fan.

    This screenshot was taken directly after I ran the benchmark. So the idle temp isn't correct. Normally I get around 35°C



    Well that is a small case, you could get a bigger case with more options if you want to stick with Water Cooling the CPU.
    Reply to jankerson
  6. jankerson said:
    fabianbachl1996 said:
    jankerson said:
    What happens if you play with the case side off?

    Looks like you don't have enough airflow in the case, would be better to mount the AIO in the top and put 2 fans in the front to pull cool air in.

    A good clue is the 61C idle temp, should be in the 30's or at worst low 40's if you had good airflow in the case.


    With the case side of I didn't get over 83°C during the benchmarks.

    Sadly that isn't possible with my case. At the top, you can only mount one fan.

    This screenshot was taken directly after I ran the benchmark. So the idle temp isn't correct. Normally I get around 35°C



    Well that is a small case, you could get a bigger case with more options if you want to stick with Water Cooling the CPU.



    Yeah i thougt about getting rid of the AIO already, its another thing where i realise more and more that it wasn't the best decision to get one. So you think the cooling would be better without it? I still want to keep the case, because i like it very much.
    Reply to fabianbachl1996
  7. Best answer
    fabianbachl1996 said:
    jankerson said:
    fabianbachl1996 said:
    jankerson said:
    What happens if you play with the case side off?

    Looks like you don't have enough airflow in the case, would be better to mount the AIO in the top and put 2 fans in the front to pull cool air in.

    A good clue is the 61C idle temp, should be in the 30's or at worst low 40's if you had good airflow in the case.


    With the case side of I didn't get over 83°C during the benchmarks.

    Sadly that isn't possible with my case. At the top, you can only mount one fan.

    This screenshot was taken directly after I ran the benchmark. So the idle temp isn't correct. Normally I get around 35°C



    Well that is a small case, you could get a bigger case with more options if you want to stick with Water Cooling the CPU.



    Yeah i thougt about getting rid of the AIO already, its another thing where i realise more and more that it wasn't the best decision to get one. So you think the cooling would be better without it? I still want to keep the case, because i like it very much.



    Yes because you could have 2 fans puling in cool air from the front and would keep air flowing over the GPU etc.
    Reply to jankerson
  8. jankerson said:
    fabianbachl1996 said:
    jankerson said:
    fabianbachl1996 said:
    jankerson said:
    What happens if you play with the case side off?

    Looks like you don't have enough airflow in the case, would be better to mount the AIO in the top and put 2 fans in the front to pull cool air in.

    A good clue is the 61C idle temp, should be in the 30's or at worst low 40's if you had good airflow in the case.


    With the case side of I didn't get over 83°C during the benchmarks.

    Sadly that isn't possible with my case. At the top, you can only mount one fan.

    This screenshot was taken directly after I ran the benchmark. So the idle temp isn't correct. Normally I get around 35°C



    Well that is a small case, you could get a bigger case with more options if you want to stick with Water Cooling the CPU.



    Yeah i thougt about getting rid of the AIO already, its another thing where i realise more and more that it wasn't the best decision to get one. So you think the cooling would be better without it? I still want to keep the case, because i like it very much.



    Yes because you could have 2 fans puling in cool air from the front and would keep air flowing over the GPU etc.



    Ok thanks, then i am probably going to try that
    Reply to fabianbachl1996
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

MSI-Microstar MSI AERO GPU Fan 1080 Cooling Heat Airflow Nvidia Gtx