Solved

HDD Format issue

HI there,
I recently had bought myself a PC and it has 250gb of Storage and an additional HD with 1TB of storage which i cant access. i haven´t really opened it before and i had used the 250gb storage. Once i noticed that i could save files on the 1TB drive too, i clicked on it and it asked me to format it to use it and i had never used it before, still i am kind of scared of formating it because it might delete necessary windows files. anyone think they can somehow help me please answer :)
Reply to spexhere
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hdd format issue
  1. Best answer
    it wont delete any windows file as the 1TB HDD is new so you have to format it and create the no of partitions as you want you can do that in device manager then disk management
    Reply to nitinvaid20
  2. Thanks a lot for your answer!
    Reply to spexhere
  3. nitinvaid20 said:
    it wont delete any windows file as the 1TB HDD is new so you have to format it and create the no of partitions as you want you can do that in device manager then disk management


    Just out of curiosity...
    As I'm, sure you're aware, if the 1 TB HDD is the OPs "virgin" secondary drive that will presumably be utilized for storage, backups, etc., it will need to be initialized, partitioned, and formatted. All that can be done in Disk Management. I was wondering why you've indicated the user would need to access Device Manager?
    Reply to ArtPog
  4. ArtPog said:
    nitinvaid20 said:
    it wont delete any windows file as the 1TB HDD is new so you have to format it and create the no of partitions as you want you can do that in device manager then disk management


    Just out of curiosity...
    As I'm, sure you're aware, if the 1 TB HDD is the OPs "virgin" secondary drive that will presumably be utilized for storage, backups, etc., it will need to be initialized, partitioned, and formatted. All that can be done in Disk Management. I was wondering why you've indicated the user would need to access Device Manager?

    thats what i do i just right click on MY COMPUTER and Device manager then select the Disk management from there:P
    Reply to nitinvaid20
  5. nitinvaid20 said:
    ArtPog said:
    nitinvaid20 said:
    it wont delete any windows file as the 1TB HDD is new so you have to format it and create the no of partitions as you want you can do that in device manager then disk management


    Just out of curiosity...
    As I'm, sure you're aware, if the 1 TB HDD is the OPs "virgin" secondary drive that will presumably be utilized for storage, backups, etc., it will need to be initialized, partitioned, and formatted. All that can be done in Disk Management. I was wondering why you've indicated the user would need to access Device Manager?

    thats what i do i just right click on MY COMPUTER and Device manager then select the Disk management from there:P


    Right. That's one way of course. I'm sure you're also aware that with Win 10 (presumably the new PC of the OP), the Disk Management (as well as Device Manager) link can easily be accessed via a right-click of the Windows icon on the far left of the Taskbar.
    As far back as I can remember with previous Win OSs we've always created a Desktop shortcut for DM since it's so frequently accessed as I'm sure it has by you as well. As a matter of fact I still do with Win 10 since it's even easier/faster to access that utility that way rather then utilizing the Win 10 Windows icon!
    Reply to ArtPog
  6. ArtPog said:
    nitinvaid20 said:
    ArtPog said:
    nitinvaid20 said:
    it wont delete any windows file as the 1TB HDD is new so you have to format it and create the no of partitions as you want you can do that in device manager then disk management


    Just out of curiosity...
    As I'm, sure you're aware, if the 1 TB HDD is the OPs "virgin" secondary drive that will presumably be utilized for storage, backups, etc., it will need to be initialized, partitioned, and formatted. All that can be done in Disk Management. I was wondering why you've indicated the user would need to access Device Manager?

    thats what i do i just right click on MY COMPUTER and Device manager then select the Disk management from there:P


    Right. That's one way of course. I'm sure you're also aware that with Win 10 (presumably the new PC of the OP), the Disk Management (as well as Device Manager) link can easily be accessed via a right-click of the Windows icon on the far left of the Taskbar.
    As far back as I can remember with previous Win OSs we've always created a Desktop shortcut for DM since it's so frequently accessed as I'm sure it has by you as well. As a matter of fact I still do with Win 10 since it's even easier/faster to access that utility that way rather then utilizing the Win 10 Windows icon!


    Yup i know that too but thats mine old habbit:)
    Reply to nitinvaid20
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Storage Hard Drives Format