Solved

i5 3450 for 2 3 years from now

I have decided to buy an old i5 3450 (have a low budget). I want to know if it could last 2 3 years for gaming?
I know its not predictable that how much the gaming franchise grow in 2 3 years and a 5 years old cpu could handle it or not. But still would it be able to just play the game?

Current setup
G2120
GTx 1050ti
4GB ram
2TB HDD
Reply to ramindersk
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 3450 years
  1. It will definitely run most, maybe closser to low still I think at playable level for next 2 but not 3. Consider throwing more ram, it will bottleneck you faster than CPU.
    Reply to Rdslw
  2. Best answer
    ramindersk said:
    I have decided to buy an old i5 3450 (have a low budget). I want to know if it could last 2 3 years for gaming?
    I know its not predictable that how much the gaming franchise grow in 2 3 years and a 5 years old cpu could handle it or not. But still would it be able to just play the game?

    Current setup
    G2120
    GTx 1050ti
    4GB ram
    2TB HDD


    On very low settings for the top titles, they will run, with a caveat.

    It only has 4GB RAM. That's not enough. You need to have no less than 8GB of RAM. Scenario: You're playing a game and everything's been fine and a few minutes in and you get one heck of a frame drop. Why? Your PC went from using the RAM as a cache to using the 2TB HDD as a cache for some info. It had to resort to using the pagefile(swap file or virtual memory). Consider the following screenshot from a couple years ago.. As you can see I was using over 4.8GB of RAM. Fast forward to today and even on the lowest settings the 4GB is the Achilles heel of your build.
    Reply to aquielisunari
  3. @Rdslw, i was thinking about adding more ram.

    @aquielisunari, man i had the same issue. I thought i was my cpu. I'll add 4gig to my system.
    I was confused as i have hyperx blu ram and read here it will be good if paired ram are exactly same brand.
    Here hyperx blu is overpriced. Any solution for this?

    What if i add Hyperx fury along with hyperx blu. will it work?
    Reply to ramindersk
  4. ramindersk said:
    @Rdslw, i was thinking about adding more ram.

    @aquielisunari, man i had the same issue. I thought i was my cpu. I'll add 4gig to my system.
    I was confused as i have hyperx blu ram and read here it will be good if paired ram are exactly same brand.
    Here hyperx blu is overpriced. Any solution for this?

    What if i add Hyperx fury along with hyperx blu. will it work?


    Maybe. Nobody else in the world can offer you a more concrete answer than that. Usually you can pair different color or even different brands of RAM as long as the specs of the RAM are identical. Unfortunately they haven't been tested together so there is no guarantee of compatibility. You've see RAM kits with multiple sticks right? 2 x 4 or 2 x 8 are currently popular amongst gamers. They are sold like that because the manufacturer has tested them together and knows they works. We have, on more than a few occasions had questions here from people who did what you are thinking of doing. Everything is the same. Why doesn't it work? Because they weren't purchased in a kit.

    It might work.
    Reply to aquielisunari
  5. Well you confused me more.
    Last question, is there any performance difference between 2x4gb and 1x8gb?
    Reply to ramindersk
  6. ramindersk said:
    Well you confused me more.
    Last question, is there any performance difference between 2x4gb and 1x8gb?


    Sorry about that. In short, I recommend you purchase a new RAM kit. Save that 4GB module for troubleshooting or sell it. Combining old and new may not work.

    Yes there is. That board and CPU are designed to be used with DUAL CHANNEL RAM. Dual channel needs to be used in pairs because the advertised speed is the effective speed of both modules working in tandem. If you only use one module it will run at half-speed. There will be a slight FPS penalty.
    Reply to aquielisunari
  7. Thank you aquielisunari.
    So what you suggest to upgrade first? CPU or RAM
    Reply to ramindersk
  8. ramindersk said:
    Thank you aquielisunari.
    So what you suggest to upgrade first? CPU or RAM


    You're welcome:D
    CPU. I'd rather deal with the in-game settings with a quad core than be stuck with a weak little dual-core.

    You MIGHT need to update your BIOS. I am not sure.
    Reply to aquielisunari
  9. Updating BIOS is completely new thing to me. Why do i need to update BIOS of a motherboard if i change my CPU?
    Reply to ramindersk
  10. ramindersk said:
    Updating BIOS is completely new thing to me. Why do i need to update BIOS of a motherboard if i change my CPU?


    You most likely won't need to. It's just a possibility. You would need to Google your motherboard. My board(MSI PC Mate) can accept different generations of CPUs. It accepts Haswell and Broadwell CPUs. If I switch my current Haswell CPU to a Broadwell I would need to update my BIOS https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-PC-Mate#support-cpu.
    Reply to aquielisunari
  11. How would i get to know that BIOS upgrade is required or not if i upgrade to i5.
    Reply to ramindersk
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Gaming Intel i5