3000 Mhz RAM speed stuck at 2666

I'm an OC novice and started overclocking my i7 5820k to 4.3Ghz. I have 2x16GB (32 GB) DDR4 3000 Mhz Corsair RAM but can't get it above 2666 Mhz no matter which configuration I use. Currently I have BCLK at 100 with the CPU multiplier at 43=4300 Mhz and my GTX 1080ti at around 1800 Mhz. Whenever I push the RAM speed up to 2800 it crashes or I get the message the OC settings didn't work and have to go back to BIOS. It doesn´t tell me what went wrong. My temps are all well within range.

Whenever I try XMP it puts the BCLK up to 125 and even if I adjust CPU multiplier to 36 (4320mhz) the RAM and CPU voltage, the PC won't start and makes strange noises!

Before this I had the CPU at 4320 Ghz with BCLK at 120 (CPUx36) and the RAM just under 3000 Mhz using the "memory try it" Samsung 3000 Mhz CL16 setting on my MSI X99 SLI Plus mainboard. But I´ll admit this was a fluke and I can't remember the exact settings because I didn't save the configuration after I had to reset everything and since then I'm stuck at CPU 4.3 Mhz and 2666 Mhz.

Any ideas how to get the RAM up to 3000 Mhz? My PSU is 850w Be Quiet Platinum 80+ with an OC boost.
Reply to CthulhluRules
7 answers Last reply
More about 3000 mhz ram speed stuck 2666
  1. Currently I have BCLK at 100
    Is that stock speed for the BCLK, if not, you should set it to default before you change RAM speed.
    Because BCLK will affect your RAM.

Do this...
    1. Set your BCLK to default. (and don't mess with it)
    2. Save your settings and reboot
    3. Turn on your CPU multiplier to set the CPU frequency you want (4.3GHz)
    4. Save your settings and reboot
    5. Turn on the XMP profile for your ram

I recommend most people do NOT adjust the BCLK setting.
    Reply to dark_lord69
  2. Hi Dark Lord,
    Thanks for your answer. When I switch on XMP, it automatically pushes the BCLK up to 125 so I reset it to default 100 and leave XMP on but it still won't let me go over 2666mhz RAM speed with CPU multiplier at 43. At present the only config that works is with XMP off, 100 BCLK, 43=4300 Mhz CPU, and 2666 Mhz RAM speed. I'm sure the performance difference between 2666 and 3000 is minimal but if they are 3k sticks then I should be able to run them at 3K without any special settings.

Could OC'ing the GPU interfere with other OC settings maybe by overtaxing the PSU?

dark_lord69 said:
    Currently I have BCLK at 100
    Is that stock speed for the BCLK, if not, you should set it to default before you change RAM speed.
    Because BCLK will affect your RAM.

Do this...
    1. Set your BCLK to default. (and don't mess with it)
    2. Save your settings and reboot
    3. Turn on your CPU multiplier to set the CPU frequency you want (4.3GHz)
    4. Save your settings and reboot
    5. Turn on the XMP profile for your ram

I recommend most people do NOT adjust the BCLK setting.
    Reply to CthulhluRules
  3. Hi, I have the same mobo and processor and have experienced the same problem running my ram at the advertised speed (3200 in my case). It was some time ago that I futzed with it so my memory is a bit hazy, but I can verify that turning XMP on does change the bclock to 125 for some reason resulting in a failed boot, possibly a bug in the MSI bios?

I've also experimented with the "memory try it" settings with mostly unstable results. Strangely enough, when trying that setting with 2800 and with 3200 it succeeded in booting but not with the 3000 setting, although it was not particularly stable (blue screens while gaming, random reboots, etc.)

The only way I got it to run at full speed and stable was to turn XMP off and manually enter all the timings for XMP listed in CPUID. But, alas, I ended up running into an odd problem of a black screen after resuming from sleep which in the end annoyed me so much I gave up and went back to XMP on (bclock at 100) and memory running at 2400 mhz. Runs like a champ now and the difference in benchmarks was negligible anyway.

I always assumed it was the ram but now I'm not so sure. Possibly the memory controller on the CPU or maybe BIOS related?

*edit: Also I noticed you run 2 sticks of ram, having 4 would enable you to run quad channel. Just sayin :)
    Reply to BC_Homegrown
  4. Hi thanks for that answer very helpful. Sounds like we've done pretty much the same thing. It might be worth asking MSI to check it out and do a bug fix. As I said, mine runs stable at 2666 BCLK 100 (no XMP) but does make odd noises when I boot. Strange that I had it at about 2933 with the CPU at 4.32 using the "memory try it" Samsung and it was stable, but I can't get back to it. For the life of me, I can't remember the other settings. I plan to get two more ram sticks at some point. Is there a big performance boost between dual and quad channel?
    Reply to CthulhluRules
  5. For gaming I don't think there is a large difference between dual and quad, although it seems to be a matter for debate.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2114843/faster-quad-channel-ram-dual-channel.html

Whether its worth the money to get more or different ram really depends on your personality and what you do with your computer. You may see a large performance increase in video editing or multi core apps but no so much in gaming (although 4k gaming you might see benefits).
    Reply to BC_Homegrown
  6. I'll wait for a while as I plan on getting a QLED monitor which is one level below 4K. Currently my 32 GB Ram rarely uses 10MB. The Dual 16GB RAM kit that cost €289 when I bought it back in July is now €363! And I thought it was mid-range graphic cards that were skyrocketing in price.

BC_Homegrown said:
    For gaming I don't think there is a large difference between dual and quad, although it seems to be a matter for debate.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2114843/faster-quad-channel-ram-dual-channel.html

Whether its worth the money to get more or different ram really depends on your personality and what you do with your computer. You may see a large performance increase in video editing or multi core apps but no so much in gaming (although 4k gaming you might see benefits).
    Reply to CthulhluRules
  7. CthulhluRules said:
    Hi thanks for that answer very helpful. Sounds like we've done pretty much the same thing. It might be worth asking MSI to check it out and do a bug fix. As I said, mine runs stable at 2666 BCLK 100 (no XMP) but does make odd noises when I boot. Strange that I had it at about 2933 with the CPU at 4.32 using the "memory try it" Samsung and it was stable, but I can't get back to it. For the life of me, I can't remember the other settings. I plan to get two more ram sticks at some point. Is there a big performance boost between dual and quad channel?

Just here to share my knowledge and am going to assume you as a gamer but.. What happens when you try clocking it at 2750 or 3000 instead? I wonder if it was a different set of ram you had used to clock past 2900 and some how the ones you have now aren't comparable. Just throwing that out there.

I will share my experience with memory performance though, there wont be much difference in performance unless your CPU is ready for it, otherwise you're just sitting on a hose bib set to 100psi with a hose only able to handle 40. If that makes sense.

With each new CPU generation they'er able to handle higher MHz and push out more, the farther their clock speeds reach.

I have an i7 6700 and I switched from 2133MHz to 3200MHz. There was a noticeable jump. At least 10 fps in Guild Wars 2 and much more in other games. However, when I tried 3600, nothing changed. My motherboard can optimally handle memory up to 4133MHz, but there's no guarantee my CPU will allow it to make a difference.

As for running quad channel, that's crossing a personal opinion choice. As a gamer, you're not going to need more than 16GB for a long time. We've just recently been getting games where 8GB has been pushed and is becoming the minimal spec.
    Reply to Anthony_F_Thompson
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking RAM Intel i7 CPUs