Solved

Why am I at 1.260 volts even when idle?

I just overclocked for the first time with my i7 4790k to 4.6 ghz at 1.260 volts. I don’t see the need for this voltage at idle though. I’d like to save power and lengthen my cpu by keeping my voltage down when idle especially seeing as how I keep my computer at the desktop a lot or even just surf the web movies etc. doesn’t require that high voltage... How can I have the computer drop down the voltage when it’s not at max load? When idle or web etc...
Reply to Anthony_195
2 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 260 volts idle
  1. Then remove the overclock , gains are minimal anyways.
    Reply to SR-71 Blackbird
  2. Best answer
    Anthony_195 said:
    I just overclocked for the first time with my i7 4790k to 4.6 ghz at 1.260 volts. I don’t see the need for this voltage at idle though. I’d like to save power and lengthen my cpu by keeping my voltage down when idle especially seeing as how I keep my computer at the desktop a lot or even just surf the web movies etc. doesn’t require that high voltage... How can I have the computer drop down the voltage when it’s not at max load? When idle or web etc...

So, when you overclock, and manually set the voltage to a certain level, it will always run at that level unless Intel C states are enabled, as well as any built in power-saving features the motherboard may support. However, the nature of overclocking is maximum performance, and if your temperatures are reasonable, I don't see a huge issue with the voltage remaining at that constant level.
    Reply to ccrnyr
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking Computers Intel i7