Solved

best way to backup acrost 3 drives

I just put together a little pc to use as redundant backup for my family pictures music and a few odds and ends off my other computer im not doing anything with and are just taking up space. The little pc has windows 10 a drive im using for the os and 3 other 320 gb drives that i'd like to have all be copies of one another. ive looked around and havent found anything for 3 drives. I'd like to be able to use the windows file sharing to be able to pull stuff off of them as needed.
Reply to onthefarm86
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about backup acrost drives
  1. So you want all 3 drives to be exact duplicates of each other is what you are saying?
    Reply to drtweak
  2. yes i have it set up right now as one drive that's shared on our home network, and other drives also connected to the same pc. right now im dumping stuff into the first from the other computers and then manual copying its content to the other 2 drives. i tried atleast setting the other 2 up in a raid and the little windows wizard said they were unable to set it up.
    Reply to onthefarm86
  3. 'How' you do this depends on what type of access to the files you need.

    This new little PC....you want it to be basically a central house repository for shared files?
    And then a backup of that data?

    I won't suggest a procedure and applications until we know exactly what you're looking to do.

    What OS is on this PC?
    Reply to USAFRet
  4. yes its sole purpose in life will be storing pictures and music, and being able to access them from my wifes laptop and my pc. eventually id like to expand on the and digitize our movie collection.

    it is running windows 10 its a fm2 amd 7300 8 gig ddr3.

    im just looking to make it a bit more automated backing up two the other 2 drives.
    Reply to onthefarm86
  5. onthefarm86 said:
    yes its sole purpose in life will be storing pictures and music, and being able to access them from my wifes laptop and my pc. eventually id like to expand on the and digitize our movie collection.

    it is running windows 10 its a fm2 amd 7300 8 gig ddr3.

    im just looking to make it a bit more automated backing up two the other 2 drives.


    Should be no problem.
    I had a very similar setup, until I got my current NAS box.
    Low power Win 10 box, as a central repository for movies/music/backups...

    The easiest way is shared folders.
    On the 'house server', create a top level folder on one of the drives. Call it SharedStuff.
    Properties, Sharing....share with Everyone.
    Then, from your desktops and laptops...they should be able to see that shared folder. Assuming yes, Map Network Drive. This allows you to give that folder on the 'house server' a drive letter, just like any other hard drive internally in your system.
    Give it the S drive letter. (S for shared).
    Maybe a couple of subfolders under that. Pics/Movies/Whatever.

    This can be done for multiple drives and folders in that 'house server'

    Assuming this all works (and it does), your PC now has another drive letter. It just lives in a different PC.
    You want something shared and visible by all other systems in the house? Save it to the S drive.
    Maybe even make that the default save location for files like that.


    Actual backups (which you also need), that is a different story.
    And we can go into some detail on that if you wish.
    Reply to USAFRet
  6. yes i have the shared drive all setup and can get to it on both of our computers.

    im looking for a better way to get the files on drive S copied to drives E and F for backing up the shared drive.
    Reply to onthefarm86
  7. onthefarm86 said:
    yes i have the shared drive all setup and can get to it on both of our computers.

    im looking for a better way to get the files on drive S copied to drives E and F for backing up the shared drive.


    For actual backups, I use Macrium Reflect.

    It can create an Image of the drive or partition, off to other drives, on a schedule you set up.
    All automated.
    These images are not directly accessible for the files they contain, but it is a "backup".

    Given sufficient drive space, you can create a rolling set of backups.
    A Full image, and then Differential images every day (or week). The Differential is only what has actually changed since the last Full image.
    Keep for however many days or weeks is desired. Then, that previous Full image is deleted and it starts all over again.
    All automated.
    Reply to USAFRet
  8. Best answer
    ^^ agreed. You can setup a schedule to have it clone or image from your main drive to the other if you want.

    If what you are looking for is more of just a file copy you can use the simple and free program Unstoppable copier. Create a batch file that copies from Drive A to Drive B and then Drive A to Drive C. Then just look up how to add a task schedule and add the batch file that you save and have it run every hour or so. Make sure you set it to skip newer or same files otherwise it will copy everything all the time which we don't need just an update.
    Reply to drtweak
  9. USAFRet said:
    onthefarm86 said:
    yes i have the shared drive all setup and can get to it on both of our computers.

    im looking for a better way to get the files on drive S copied to drives E and F for backing up the shared drive.


    For actual backups, I use Macrium Reflect.

    It can create an Image of the drive or partition, off to other drives, on a schedule you set up.
    All automated.
    These images are not directly accessible for the files they contain, but it is a "backup".

    Given sufficient drive space, you can create a rolling set of backups.
    A Full image, and then Differential images every day (or week). The Differential is only what has actually changed since the last Full image.
    Keep for however many days or weeks is desired. Then, that previous Full image is deleted and it starts all over again.
    All automated.

    Hey USAF, I've been reading your many replies re: backups, I value and appreciate your knowledge and expertise. I too have 3+ drives that I'm interested in backing up. Is there a non-image solution/software, like a folder/file copy? Does Macrium offer this? And have you ever had to restore from one of your backups? How was that process like? Does it extract the image in an identical folder/file system/structure? Thanks!
    Reply to Gzy
  10. Use unstoppable copier if all you need is a file copy to another drive. That is what i use for my stuff (Takes 12 hours to clone my backups even with SATA to SATA) So what I do use unstoppable copier and you can go to the Batch file tab and then make files for different drives. Then you can use the window scheduler to copy them. Great thing is you can have it set so it skips newer files like I do so that it only backups what is new. I run my backups manually so I just have a file for each drive saved on my desktop, toss in a drive, double click it, it runs, then goes away when it is done.

    Now what you will need to do is when you plug in your backup drives you will have to go into disk management and then change their drive letter to something below like drive M and lower. This way when you plug them in if they are USB they are always the same drive letter as if you plug in say two drive, one might be E and the other D but that all depends on what order you plug them in.

    Then if you want to backup to say 3 drives at the same time, whether they are network drives or USB drives, you can make the batch file copy say D to M and then D to N and then D to O in the same file this way it will backup to all 3 drives (one at a time though) but it will go though it and be done. This way you can set it and walk away.
    Reply to drtweak
  11. drtweak said:
    Use unstoppable copier if all you need is a file copy to another drive. That is what i use for my stuff (Takes 12 hours to clone my backups even with SATA to SATA) So what I do use unstoppable copier and you can go to the Batch file tab and then make files for different drives. Then you can use the window scheduler to copy them. Great thing is you can have it set so it skips newer files like I do so that it only backups what is new. I run my backups manually so I just have a file for each drive saved on my desktop, toss in a drive, double click it, it runs, then goes away when it is done.

    Now what you will need to do is when you plug in your backup drives you will have to go into disk management and then change their drive letter to something below like drive M and lower. This way when you plug them in if they are USB they are always the same drive letter as if you plug in say two drive, one might be E and the other D but that all depends on what order you plug them in.

    Then if you want to backup to say 3 drives at the same time, whether they are network drives or USB drives, you can make the batch file copy say D to M and then D to N and then D to O in the same file this way it will backup to all 3 drives (one at a time though) but it will go though it and be done. This way you can set it and walk away.


    Hi, thanks for your response. I'm on the Roadkil's site now, it's only listed up to Win8 -do you know if it will run correctly on Win10?
    Reply to Gzy
  12. Gzy said:

    Hey USAF, I've been reading your many replies re: backups, I value and appreciate your knowledge and expertise. I too have 3+ drives that I'm interested in backing up. Is there a non-image solution/software, like a folder/file copy? Does Macrium offer this? And have you ever had to restore from one of your backups? How was that process like? Does it extract the image in an identical folder/file system/structure? Thanks!


    Macrium will do individual folders if you wish.
    It does result in a xx.mrimage file, but one of the cool things is that you can open that Image out in Windows Explorer, just like any other folder tree.
    Extract all or only the specific file you need.

    And yes, I've done the full drive recovery many times.
    Very useful for drive and other hardware changes.
    Reply to USAFRet
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Backup