From i3 to i7 no game improvements

So I finally swapped my I3 3240 with an I7 4790k (second hand) and I was expecting a major fps increase in videogames. Instead, I get little to none. Why is that?
Is it because of my GPU ( GTX 1050TI)? Is it too weak for the cpu? The cpu runs good, no excessive high temps, the voltage is in normal parameters, no oc, turbo boost enabled. No problems whatsoever.
Other components: Asrock Fatality Killer Z97 mobo, Corsair 12GB DDR3 1600MHZ, 600W Recom PSU (80 plus bronze) and 1TB 7200rpm Toshiba HDD. The components run smoothly, no errors, nothing.
Thank you.
Reply to bama_boy_2f2f
15 answers Last reply
More about game improvements
  1. check gpu usage/temp with hwinfo/gpu-z. If close to 100%, gpu is bottlenecking you. You will want to get gtx 1060 6gb or 1070
    Reply to vapour
  2. Your former CPU kept up with the GPU which is the main component for gaming performance. Now with the stronger CPU you can upgrade to higher performing GPU without seeing bottleneck.
    Reply to rolli59
  3. Upgrading to the i7 will only show a big performance increase in some CPU heavy games, such as Battlefield 1. But the majority of games are not CPU intensive. This is why it is always better to spend more money on a GPU than a CPU.

    With that being said, I don't think you made a mistake by getting the 4790k. It is a really good chip. But you are a little top heavy pairing it with a 1050ti because the 1050ti was your bottleneck. I see a 1070 in your future.
    Reply to feelinfroggy777
  4. OS seeing all the cores?
    Reply to rgd1101
  5. OP keep in mind a 1050ti is still a budget gpu. by no means a high performance gpu.
    Reply to ARICH5
  6. Also depends on what games you're playing, what settings, as well as resolution, refresh, and vsync.

    This may sound obvious, but if you're using a 60Hz monitor, and have vsync enabled, then you'll never get past 60fps
    Reply to King_V
  7. Thanks for all your answers.
    In gaming, the GPU reaches 99-100% usage, while the CPU barely exceeds 50% (only in GTA 5 it hits around 65%).
    Yes, all the cores are working perfectly, I had no issue.
    I play at 1920x1080 pixels, on high to ultra specs, vsync usually off or adaptive (Wolfenstein The New Colossus) on a Benq GW2320 (yes, it is a 60Hz monitor). It is true, I usually never get past 60fps, only ocassionally (The Sims 4 - 120-130fps).
    If it is a bottleneck, I feel relieved because I thought my CPU was having issues. I will buy a better GPU in the future, it was on my list actually. :)
    Reply to bama_boy_2f2f
  8. 1060 6gb is~$250, 1070 is~400, pick one depending on your budget :)
    Reply to vapour
  9. bama_boy_2f2f said:
    Thanks for all your answers.
    In gaming, the GPU reaches 99-100% usage, while the CPU barely exceeds 50% (only in GTA 5 it hits around 65%).
    Yes, all the cores are working perfectly, I had no issue.
    I play at 1920x1080 pixels, on high to ultra specs, vsync usually off or adaptive (Wolfenstein The New Colossus) on a Benq GW2320 (yes, it is a 60Hz monitor). It is true, I usually never get past 60fps, only ocassionally (The Sims 4 - 120-130fps).
    If it is a bottleneck, I feel relieved because I thought my CPU was having issues. I will buy a better GPU in the future, it was on my list actually. :)


    Your GPU usage is showing the GPU at max so it is governing your performance while the CPU has more to give.
    Reply to rolli59
  10. If you upgrade your graphics card I'd say that PSU needs an upgrade to go along with it. Recom doesn't sound like a good brand to me. Enough for a 1050 ti sure but not anything that needs some more juice. I at least wouldn't trust it with a $250 or $400 graphics card.
    Reply to theonerm2
  11. bama_boy_2f2f said:
    So I finally swapped my I3 3240 with an I7 4790k (second hand) and I was expecting a major fps increase in videogames. Instead, I get little to none. Why is that?
    Is it because of my GPU ( GTX 1050TI)? Is it too weak for the cpu? The cpu runs good, no excessive high temps, the voltage is in normal parameters, no oc, turbo boost enabled. No problems whatsoever.
    Other components: Asrock Fatality Killer Z97 mobo, Corsair 12GB DDR3 1600MHZ, 600W Recom PSU (80 plus bronze) and 1TB 7200rpm Toshiba HDD. The components run smoothly, no errors, nothing.
    Thank you.


    Graphics card is the main factor in games performance in most games, but with the newer AAA games some are becoming more CPU dependent.

    So both matter more now, that's both CPU and GPU.

    SO yes an I7 will provide more performance if the GPU is up to it.

    The GTX 1050Ti is a lower mid range GPU.

    My recommendation would be to go with a higher end GPU like a GTX 1070 or at min a GTX 1060 6 GB.
    Reply to jankerson
  12. Sure, I was thinking about a new PSU also. A Corsair TX650M will be enough even for a 1070 I guess, because it is 80+ Gold rated and quite cheap. About my actual PSU, it is brilliant, who would have thought, haha? I have it for about 8 years, and I have had no issues with it whatsoever. It has served me well, first in my Phenom X3 + 9800GT system, than in my I3 + GTX750, and now in this system. But it will soon have to go, I am aware of that :)
    I think I will choose between the 1060 6GB or a second hand 980TI (in my country, they are about the same price).
    Reply to bama_boy_2f2f
  13. bama_boy_2f2f said:
    Sure, I was thinking about a new PSU also. A Corsair TX650M will be enough even for a 1070 I guess, because it is 80+ Gold rated and quite cheap. About my actual PSU, it is brilliant, who would have thought, haha? I have it for about 8 years, and I have had no issues with it whatsoever. It has served me well, first in my Phenom X3 + 9800GT system, than in my I3 + GTX750, and now in this system. But it will soon have to go, I am aware of that :)
    I think I will choose between the 1060 6GB or a second hand 980TI (in my country, they are about the same price).


    The TX650M is a good PSU.

    Flip a coin between the GTX 1060 6GB and GTX 980Ti.

    I would buy the new card if it was me.
    Reply to jankerson
  14. 980ti is much better performance: http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/3439vs3639

    Even a CX450M can handle 1070, mate. Invest in TX650M is pretty good choice, can hold all the way up to GTX 1080ti. If 980Ti is good condition, I will pick 980ti.
    Reply to vapour
  15. Yeah the GTX 980Ti is faster, but used...

    I have this thing about USED Graphics cards, especially these days.
    Reply to jankerson
Ask a new question Answer