Solved

Can't overclock my cpu anymore??? (I did before)

Whenever I try to overclock my Fx-8300 to 4.1ghz with 1.335V my screen just goes black...But the problem is that I used to overclock with the exact same voltage and clock with everything stable (playing with no failure *65C) I can't even overclock to 3.4ghz my screen will just go black. HELP
Reply to Sam_ramos_02
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about overclock cpu anymore
  1. assuming you were using the right software to check the temperature, 65c is the max temp for that cpu. Running it like that for a year may well have degraded it, and now it won't overclock anymore.
    Reply to Rogue Leader
  2. I don't think that makes much sense because it used to be like that even when I wasn't overclocking much and it suddently worked :/
    Reply to Sam_ramos_02
  3. Sam_ramos_02 said:
    I don't think that makes much sense because it used to be like that even when I wasn't overclocking much and it suddently worked :/


    Your reply doesn't make sense.

    The max temp on your CPU before throttling is 65C measured with AMD overdrive which is the only correct way to measure temp on an FX CPU. If you were running it at that temp, all the time, overclocked or not, you're going to degrade it.

    Clearly your Overclock doesn't work anymore, and the symptoms classically are exactly from what I described.
    Reply to Rogue Leader
  4. I dont think you understand the issue here...
    Reply to Sam_ramos_02
  5. and no when I idle my tempa are way below 30C ...
    Reply to Sam_ramos_02
  6. I do very much understand the issue so unless you are not including important pieces of information, I am correct.

    Did you change a piece of hardware? Idle temperatures mean nothing when overclocking. Again the max temp of an FX-8300 before throttling is 65c, if you were overclocked and gaming at that temp as you said in your first post, then that was your issue. Depending how much time over the years or whatnot you spent gaming like that you can burn out the cpu.

    Now that said the only correct way to measure temp on an FX processor is using AMD overdrive. Overdrive gives you a thermal limit, so it's the difference between the current temp and the max. So for example in overdrive 50 is good, 5 is bad.

    Needless to say if your system is crashing at an overclock that previously worked fine, and you haven't changed any hardware, and your room hasn't suddenly gotten very hot, there is one single logical conclusion here.

    Try not to down vote answers you do not like, sometimes there is no magic bullet to fix your problem.
    Reply to Rogue Leader
  7. Buddy, I had the same issue before... fixed it then proceeded to overclock it while playing bf4 no problem. But it happened AGAIN where I can't overclock anymore. This is the real question
    Reply to Sam_ramos_02
  8. Sam_ramos_02 said:
    Buddy, I had the same issue before... fixed it then proceeded to overclock it while playing bf4 no problem. But it happened AGAIN where I can't overclock anymore. This is the real question


    If you had the issue before then how did you fix it?

    Because, AGAIN, with the information you have given us your problem is either your CPU or Motherboard are busted. Your VRMs may be overheating on your motherboard. Who knows.

    You haven't given any additional useful information. I asked you about 4 times how you are monitoring the temperature, I told you the right way to monitor the temperature.

    And all you are telling me is it worked before.

    Well so did my last hard drive before I smashed it with a hammer.

    So you can either provide more information or we can keep going in circles here, and ypu'll never fix your problem.
    Reply to Rogue Leader
  9. I never knew how i fixed it... just happened randomly because my bios doesn't allow me to overclock manually. I used Core temp to check my temp : 63c to 65c approx. that is when im playing in full load. (my max throttling temp with my fx cpu is 70c*)
    Reply to Sam_ramos_02
  10. Rogue Leader said:
    Sam_ramos_02 said:
    I don't think that makes much sense because it used to be like that even when I wasn't overclocking much and it suddently worked :/


    Your reply doesn't make sense.


    The max temp on your CPU before throttling is 65C measured with AMD overdrive which is the only correct way to measure temp on an FX CPU. If you were running it at that temp, all the time, overclocked or not, you're going to degrade it.

    Clearly your Overclock doesn't work anymore, and the symptoms classically are exactly from what I described.


    I dont think you understand the issue ...
    Reply to Sam_ramos_02
  11. If your bios doesn't allow you to overclock manually then what are you doing to overclock. Also what motherboard are you running? Also coretemp is giving you incorrect readings it is not the proper software for monitoring an FX. You need to check your thermal limit in Overdrive. And no your cpu doesnt throttle at 70, it throttles at 65, 70.5 is the max temp, where it shuts down.

    If you keep trying to insult me by telling me I don't understand the issue you will be asking your question elsewhere. Ive been working on this stuff for the better part of 30 years and especially with AMD cpus, I know them inside and out. You are not providing enough information to answer and diagnose the issue.
    Reply to Rogue Leader
  12. Lmao why are you insulted over me saying you don't understand??

    I was using amd overdrive and it would let me overclock. Core temp is actually the same temp as it was on amd overdrive, remembered checking both of the temps not going over 65C because when it would hit 66 the fans would be pretty loud so i'd notice. also my pc is a prebuilt (motherboard : asus m51bc)
    Reply to Sam_ramos_02
  13. TjMax for all FX Cpus is 62°C. If you were running it at 65°, you basically cooked the cpu for the length of time it ran.

    Core Temp was written specifically for Intel cpu's, consider it unreliable for the FX Cpus.
    Reply to Karadjgne
  14. Best answer
    Sam_ramos_02 said:
    Lmao why are you insulted over me saying you don't understand??

    I was using amd overdrive and it would let me overclock. Core temp is actually the same temp as it was on amd overdrive, remembered checking both of the temps not going over 65C because when it would hit 66 the fans would be pretty loud so i'd notice. also my pc is a prebuilt (motherboard : asus m51bc)


    No, it was not telling you the same thing, and whatever Core Temp was telling you was wrong.

    Overdrive provides thermal limit. So basically in Overdrive the higher numbers are cooler (example 30 is good), Lower numbers are hotter (example 3 means you are at 62c). Thermal limit is based on the max temp of the CPU.

    That motherboard is not too bad but Overdrive is not how you want to overclock, its for testing purposes to help set up an overclock that youd then put into the BIOS. If ASUS did not include any overclock capability in that BIOS they did so for a reason. I do see that it has cooling fins on the VRMs and from the looks of it, it may be a 6+2 setup which should handle an overclock. However if you put a different cooler on there would be no airflow over the cooling fins.

    I lean back on what I said earlier that there is likely a good chance that you damaged the CPU, or you may have cooked one or more of the VRMs. As for why it "fixed itself" before, damage like that can be touchy, maybe it overheated for a time, and wouldn't work and then once they cooled off then it would work. Do that enough times and they start to fail, which is likely whats happening to you.
    Reply to Rogue Leader
  15. Karadjgne said:
    TjMax for all FX Cpus is 62°C. If you were running it at 65°, you basically cooked the cpu for the length of time it ran.

    Core Temp was written specifically for Intel cpu's, consider it unreliable for the FX Cpus.


    Rogue Leader said:
    Sam_ramos_02 said:
    Lmao why are you insulted over me saying you don't understand??

    I was using amd overdrive and it would let me overclock. Core temp is actually the same temp as it was on amd overdrive, remembered checking both of the temps not going over 65C because when it would hit 66 the fans would be pretty loud so i'd notice. also my pc is a prebuilt (motherboard : asus m51bc)


    No, it was not telling you the same thing, and whatever Core Temp was telling you was wrong.

    Overdrive provides thermal limit. So basically in Overdrive the higher numbers are cooler (example 30 is good), Lower numbers are hotter (example 3 means you are at 62c). Thermal limit is based on the max temp of the CPU.

    That motherboard is not too bad but Overdrive is not how you want to overclock, its for testing purposes to help set up an overclock that youd then put into the BIOS. If ASUS did not include any overclock capability in that BIOS they did so for a reason. I do see that it has cooling fins on the VRMs and from the looks of it, it may be a 6+2 setup which should handle an overclock. However if you put a different cooler on there would be no airflow over the cooling fins.

    I lean back on what I said earlier that there is likely a good chance that you damaged the CPU, or you may have cooked one or more of the VRMs. As for why it "fixed itself" before, damage like that can be touchy, maybe it overheated for a time, and wouldn't work and then once they cooled off then it would work. Do that enough times and they start to fail, which is likely whats happening to you.


    So should I leave my cpu as it is, with no overclocking or what should I do about it.
    (thinking of buying a ryzen or intel i5 because my fx is bottlenecking my 1050 a bit *70-80% gpu usage)
    Reply to Sam_ramos_02
  16. Sam_ramos_02 said:

    So should I leave my cpu as it is, with no overclocking or what should I do about it.
    (thinking of buying a ryzen or intel i5 because my fx is bottlenecking my 1050 a bit *70-80% gpu usage)


    At this point if it works without Overclocking then live with it, but you're on borrowed time before that motherboard fails for good. There is not way to fix it.

    I love my Ryzen 7, and the Ryzen 5's are great deals for the cores and performance you get. You will need the CPU, Motherboard, and DDR4 memory. That should be your next step.
    Reply to Rogue Leader
  17. Have you ever seen a hdd fail? It starts with just one small portion of one sector. Over time most of that sector goes bad. Then two sectors, then half a dozen, then twenty and so on. Your cpu/mobo is no different, the cascade has already started and progressed enough that you can't get beyond stock values. Sooner or later, it'll get to the point where it won't even handle that, you'll be underclocking. Could be a month, six months, tomorrow.

    If you've already thought about revamping and building new, I'd recommend you put some serious consideration into that idea, you are on borrowed time for sure.
    Reply to Karadjgne
  18. Rogue Leader said:
    Sam_ramos_02 said:

    So should I leave my cpu as it is, with no overclocking or what should I do about it.
    (thinking of buying a ryzen or intel i5 because my fx is bottlenecking my 1050 a bit *70-80% gpu usage)


    At this point if it works without Overclocking then live with it, but you're on borrowed time before that motherboard fails for good. There is not way to fix it.

    I love my Ryzen 7, and the Ryzen 5's are great deals for the cores and performance you get. You will need the CPU, Motherboard, and DDR4 memory. That should be your next step.




    https://ibb.co/imjHtG Why Can I overclock now?? this is really weird... my temps are fine at 1.3V 3.5ghz lol 0.0
    Reply to Sam_ramos_02
  19. Still sounds like an intermittent problem with the VRMs. Most likely damaged from overclocking.

    There is no other logical reason why it would work and why your temps are ok right now. However i would bet money if you tried to do a stability test it would fail eventually.
    Reply to Rogue Leader
  20. If you've ever had a vehicle with the old fashioned headlights, when one went out first thing you tried was smack it. Repeatedly. What that did was bounce the filament and hopefully it'd weld itself back together. It's entirely possible this is what's happened, whatever is bunk has done a temporary fix, but it's temporary. Could last a day, weeks or months no telling, but it will die again eventually.
    Reply to Karadjgne
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking CPUs