Solved

Motherboard cant detect gpu

Hello everyone,
I need some advice in how to proceed since i could not figure out what happened.
Specs are:
-Gigabyte GA-H61-DS2H (rev 2.0)
-i53330
-16Gigs of ram
-Rx480 4Gigs Msi armor
- ssd 120GB
- 3 HDD (one 1 tb the other ones are 500Gb)
-Cx750 Corsair PSU
Now here's what happened:
I went to a trip and came back with my pc ok.
next morning after trip, relaxing at home,
Woke up, went to pc, and then it reset to the onboard graphics.
Then i went to bios and turned off the igpu and choose the PEG option, so it would boot with the rx480.
When i pressed f10 and saved it reboots then it turns off again, and goes back into Auto for the gpu option.
but no matter what it wont show video on rx 480 anymore.
I tested the card on a friends pc and it went fine.
Anyone ??
Reply to pedro.goes8083
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about motherboard detect gpu
  1. Try disconnecting the 3 mechanical HDD, one of them may be failing and causing you computer problems.
    Reply to rocktalkrock
  2. Thanks for the quick reply, really apreciate it


    So i tried to boot it without the mechanical hdd's nothing.
    Then i cleared cmos, went back in bios, saw a config about the pci gen, tried to boot it disabling the igpu, when in gen 3 option, it booted quickly, it actually made into windows. then it froze after a few seconds and it rebooted to a state where i could not get any kind of image and keyboard numlock key was froze. cleared cmos again. And no luck so far. any ideias? i've tested the card in a friends pc, it works perfectly.

    Thanks again for the reply
    Reply to pedro.goes8083
  3. pedro.goes8083 said:
    Thanks for the quick reply, really apreciate it


    So i tried to boot it without the mechanical hdd's nothing.
    Then i cleared cmos, went back in bios, saw a config about the pci gen, tried to boot it disabling the igpu, when in gen 3 option, it booted quickly, it actually made into windows. then it froze after a few seconds and it rebooted to a state where i could not get any kind of image and keyboard numlock key was froze. cleared cmos again. And no luck so far. any ideias? i've tested the card in a friends pc, it works perfectly.

    Thanks again for the reply

    1. What version of Windows are you using?
    2. What BIOS version does your motherboard have?

    BIOS version F6 was released to "Improve PCIEx16 graphic card compatibility". This updated version could help with your problem.
    Reply to rocktalkrock
  4. Since i've had it, it was F7
    I used to be on windows 10, but i dont really play much with any dx12 games, and the last update that i had was really slow in comparison.
    I've tried f8 beta but no luck and it was also released as "Improve High-End Display card compatibility"
    i'll give it a shot at f6 and reply as soon as i can. Thanks again for the reply.
    Reply to pedro.goes8083
  5. Best answer
    pedro.goes8083 said:
    Since i've had it, it was F7
    I used to be on windows 10, but i dont really play much with any dx12 games, and the last update that i had was really slow in comparison.
    I've tried f8 beta but no luck and it was also released as "Improve High-End Display card compatibility"
    i'll give it a shot at f6 and reply as soon as i can. Thanks again for the reply.

    Have you downloaded the latest AMD Graphics Drivers for your video card. Also remove the video card and look closely at the x16 slot itself. Is there any dirt, lint, pet hair in the slot which could be preventing a clean physical connection.
    Reply to rocktalkrock
  6. So i'm on f6 and something different happened.
    it boots, it gets to windows, but no video.
    I'll take a look at the pci and reply as soon as possible
    Thanks again for the time and support


    edit:
    I've tried using the lastest. but it's not really stable with all my games.
    I went back to 17.9.3 ( i think) and it worked perfectly so far.
    I'm on windows 7x64 with all the updates i could possibly download
    Reply to pedro.goes8083
  7. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IT WORKED INSTANTLY AFTER CLEANING!!!!!!!!!!!1111
    Seriously, i can't thank you enough, i'm unemployed and it's really impossible for me now to get a new system or ever a spare motherboard for 1155 ( which is almost as impossible to find where i live)
    so what i did was, i took the motherboard out, got a old brush (made sure it was dry enough) then started cleaning the first.
    Turns out only after i cleaned all of the pci lanes that it went perfectly
    I'm keeping an eye out since it might just be a lucky try, or coincidence.
    THANKS ONCE AGAIN!!! You just saved a family pc!!!
    Reply to pedro.goes8083
  8. pedro.goes8083 said:
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IT WORKED INSTANTLY AFTER CLEANING!!!!!!!!!!!1111
    Seriously, i can't thank you enough, i'm unemployed and it's really impossible for me now to get a new system or ever a spare motherboard for 1155 ( which is almost as impossible to find where i live)
    so what i did was, i took the motherboard out, got a old brush (made sure it was dry enough) then started cleaning the first.
    Turns out only after i cleaned all of the pci lanes that it went perfectly
    I'm keeping an eye out since it might just be a lucky try, or coincidence.
    THANKS ONCE AGAIN!!! You just saved a family pc!!!

    Glad you got it working again. That's the first time i've ever heard of someone fixing a computer with a brush. I'll have to start carrying one in my toolkit. :crazy:
    Reply to rocktalkrock
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

HELP Intel i5 Settings Gigabyte BIOS RX480 Video Motherboards GPUs Problem