Solved

First pc build - need help

Hi, I want to build my first computer. I'm looking for best price / performance workstation not gaming. I want to use it for simulations and programming as matlab, not CAD or video editing programs. Do I need R7 1700 or is R5 1600 enough? What about fans, do i need some?

I can get a discount on these parts, but I would like to hear your opinions. Do you have any advice?

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar motherboard

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Expedition OC 2G

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM 16 GB 3000 MHz

Storrage: WD Blue intern M2.SSD 250 GB,
WD Desktop Blue 3,5" 7200 RPM- 1 TB

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Case: Fractal Design Define C (window)

Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S
Reply to zehaib01
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build
  1. Best answer
    If for programming only, get 1700 I assume you will use parfor stuff :) For ram, get 3200 as long as it is similar price, Ryzen loves fast ram :) B350 MB is only good for mild overclocking with Ryzen 1700. VRM setup is not capable to fully overclock 8 cores. If you play on hardcore overclocking, get B350 gaming pro carbon or any X370 MB. PSU is very good choice but may be cheaper. What is the total cost here? If you can list individual unit price, will be better.
    Reply to vapour
  2. vapour said:
    If for programming only, get 1700 I assume you will use parfor stuff :) For ram, get 3200 as long as it is similar price, Ryzen loves fast ram :) B350 MB is only good for mild overclocking with Ryzen 1700. VRM setup is not capable to fully overclock 8 cores. If you play on hardcore overclocking, get B350 gaming pro carbon or any X370 MB. PSU is very good choice but may be cheaper. What is the total cost here? If you can list individual unit price, will be better.


    Thank you for your fast reply and good inputs.
    the prices are: (i live in Denmark)

    Ryzen 7 1700: 2 314 DKK

    MSI B350M Mortar motherboard: 670 DKK

    Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Expedition OC 2G: 986 DKK

    Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM 16 GB 3000 MHz: 1 250 DKK or
    Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 RAM 16 GB 3200 MHz: 1 654 DKK (too expensive)

    EVGA Supernova G2 650W: 755 DKK

    WD Blue intern M2.SSD 250 GB: 820 DKK
    WD Desktop Blue 3,5" 7200 RPM- 1 TB: 418 DKK

    Fractal Design Define C (window): 665 DKK

    Logitech MX Master 2S: 799 DKK

    Total: 8 670 DKK

    Well i have money to spend, but don't want to waste if not necessary, so max 10k.
    Reply to zehaib01
  3. In that case, get 3000 MHz. Good build, just don't do heavy overclocking :) 3.6GHz should be still fine.
    Reply to vapour
  4. vapour said:
    In that case, get 3000 MHz. Good build, just don't do heavy overclocking :) 3.6GHz should be still fine.


    Thx buddy, i have speed too much time on it than i would like to admit xd

    I don't think i will OC the CPU as it decreases the life spand and the warranty is lost (have read some where :D).But i have some conserns about the motherboard is too low end for the R7, even if i don't OC it?

    And what about extra fans, do i need some?
    Reply to zehaib01
  5. I will put a list for u. One clarification, Ryzen is designed to OC, OC with caution and use safe voltage and temp will not damage components. If you really don't want to, get 1700X instead. MB is still decent. However, if you can spend more, b350 gaming pro carbon or some cheap x370 is worth getting. You may want to upgrade to zen2 zen3 later on.
    Reply to vapour
  6. Warranty will be good with ocing
    Reply to vapour
  7. vapour said:
    I will put a list for u. One clarification, Ryzen is designed to OC, OC with caution and use safe voltage and temp will not damage components. If you really don't want to, get 1700X instead. MB is still decent. However, if you can spend more, b350 gaming pro carbon or some cheap x370 is worth getting. You may want to upgrade to zen2 zen3 later on.


    Okay, thank you very much for the answer! And you have convinced me, i will get: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon: 1 073 DKK, B350m cost 670 DKK
    Reply to zehaib01
  8. i meant cheap x370... taichi is better :)

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard ($183.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($158.10 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($40.99 @ Best Buy)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Expedition OC Video Card
    Case: Fractal Design - Define C with Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.98 @ Newegg)
    Case Fan: Fractal Design - GP12-WT 52.3 CFM 120mm Fan ($11.99 @ Amazon)
    Case Fan: Fractal Design - GP12-WT 52.3 CFM 120mm Fan ($11.99 @ Amazon)
    Case Fan: Fractal Design - GP12-WT 52.3 CFM 120mm Fan ($11.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $936.88
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-23 18:41 EDT-0400
    Reply to vapour
  9. 2 fans are included, top add 2, 1 front or bottom.
    Reply to vapour
  10. If taichi too expensive, get this:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Motherboard: MSI - B350 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.33 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $119.33
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-23 18:46 EDT-0400
    Reply to vapour
  11. vapour said:
    If taichi too expensive, get this:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Motherboard: MSI - B350 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.33 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $119.33
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-23 18:46 EDT-0400


    Okay thank you :) I will check it out tomorrow. It's 1 am in Denmark.
    Reply to zehaib01
  12. good night
    Reply to vapour
  13. vapour said:
    If taichi too expensive, get this:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Motherboard: MSI - B350 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.33 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $119.33
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-23 18:46 EDT-0400



    Hello again,
    I can get these prices:
    Asrock X370 Taichi: 1630 DKK
    MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon: 1073 DKK
    MSI B350 GAMING PRO CARBO: 1200 DKK

    I think the MSI X370 is the best option for the price.

    What would you recommend?
    Reply to zehaib01
  14. Make sure it is new... can't believe B350 version is actually more expensive. Good MBs for all three with taichi the best.
    Reply to vapour
  15. vapour said:
    Make sure it is new... can't believe B350 version is actually more expensive. Good MBs for all three with taichi the best.


    yes, its new and I'm also confused. Could there be different versions of the msi x370? But not as I know.
    Reply to zehaib01
  16. Just make sure you see X370 AM4 Ryzen on the box :)
    Reply to vapour
  17. vapour said:
    Just make sure you see X370 AM4 Ryzen on the box :)


    Hahaha yes its AM4 Ryzen :) I will get it. Thank you so much for all the help.
    Reply to zehaib01
  18. NP
    Reply to vapour
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Build