Views on these parts before I buy

Need to upgrade / replace the CPU, SSD and motherboard in my computer, just wanted to ask if these would all work fine together and if anyone had any better recommendations at similar prices. The PC will mainly be used for gaming, some coding, and general web browsing

i5 7600k
MSI 911-7A71-001 MSI Z270 A PRO Kaby Lake CrossFire ATX Motherboard
SK hynix Canvas SL308 2.5-Inch 250 GB Internal Solid State Drive

I may end up upgrading the RAM after I have those parts, so would this work if I did decide to?

Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) SR x8 DIMM 288-Pin CT2K8G4DFS824A
Reply to Vileshade
12 answers Last reply
More about views parts buy
  1. Intel Coffeelake just released today.
    i7.
    https://ark.intel.com/products/series/122593/8th-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-Processors
    i5.
    https://ark.intel.com/products/series/122597/8th-Generation-Intel-Core-i5-Processors
    i3.
    https://ark.intel.com/products/series/122588/8th-Generation-Intel-Core-i3-Processors

    You will want a Z370 motherboard for any K series to overclock or (I'm assuming) B350/H370 motherboard for non K CPU's.


    To answer your original question, yes those parts would work fine although you will need a aftermarket CPU cooler as the 7600K doesn't come with one.
    Reply to WildCard999
  2. WildCard999 said:
    Intel Coffeelake just released today.
    i7.
    https://ark.intel.com/products/series/122593/8th-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-Processors
    i5.
    https://ark.intel.com/products/series/122597/8th-Generation-Intel-Core-i5-Processors
    i3.
    https://ark.intel.com/products/series/122588/8th-Generation-Intel-Core-i3-Processors

    You will want a Z370 motherboard for any K series to overclock or (I'm assuming) B350/H370 motherboard for non K CPU's.


    To answer your original question, yes those parts would work fine although you will need a aftermarket CPU cooler as the 7600K doesn't come with one.


    Oh I had no idea they were releasing. From what I can tell the 8600k doesn't release until the start of November though? Are any of the currently released better than the 7600k at a similar price? Just because my CPU is dead so I can't really hold out for too long haha. And do you have any recommendations for a CPU cooler to buy?
    Reply to Vileshade
  3. I'd look at the i3-8350K (4.0ghz) as it's a 4C/4T CPU with overclocking capabilities, must be paired with Z370 motherboard. For a cooler I'd look at the Cryorig H7.
    Reply to WildCard999
  4. WildCard999 said:
    I'd look at the i3-8350K (4.0ghz) as it's a 4C/4T CPU with overclocking capabilities, must be paired with Z370 motherboard. For a cooler I'd look at the Cryorig H7.


    Alright, thanks a lot. Is there much difference between the different z370 motherboards? Like is there any reason for me to get the more expensive ones or will the £120 one do? (ASRock Z370 Pro4, Intel Z370)
    Reply to Vileshade
  5. Not really unless there's a feature you need such as SLI which the higher end boards have, personally I like the ASRock Pro boards as far as price/features & OCing.
    Reply to WildCard999
  6. Vileshade said:



    I may end up upgrading the RAM after I have those parts, so would this work if I did decide to?


    Don't know what ram you have now,but since upgrading,maybe even ddr3 ram which isn't compatibel with new sockets,so you need to look at new ram as well in that case.
    Reply to Vic 40
  7. Vic 40 said:
    Vileshade said:



    I may end up upgrading the RAM after I have those parts, so would this work if I did decide to?


    Don't know what ram you have now,but since upgrading,maybe even ddr3 ram which isn't compatibel with new sockets,so you need to look at new ram as well in that case.


    Oh I didn't think of that haha. I'm pretty sure the RAM I have at the moment is DDR3, so will that not work with the MSI Intel z370 pro motherboard? If not, does anyone have any recommendations for RAM? Would likely be looking to get 16GB
    Reply to Vileshade
  8. Would Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666Mhz work well with this setup? Or are there any better suggestions?
    Reply to Vileshade
  9. You need DDR4 RAM for the newer parts and that Corsair should work.
    Reply to WildCard999
  10. Vileshade said:
    Would Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666Mhz work well with this setup? Or are there any better suggestions?

    That would indeed work as said,but i think there are better options. Don't know what's available for you within your budget though.Would like something in the 3000mhz range with a cas latency of 15.

    Something like these to give examples of different makers,
    https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/N27CmG,ZskwrH,tMvZxr,fqDzK8/
    well that's my opinion.:) If what you chose is much cheaper would that do fine.
    Reply to Vic 40
  11. Vic 40 said:
    Vileshade said:
    Would Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666Mhz work well with this setup? Or are there any better suggestions?

    That would indeed work as said,but i think there are better options. Don't know what's available for you within your budget though.Would like something in the 3000mhz range with a cas latency of 15.

    Something like these to give examples of different makers,
    https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/N27CmG,ZskwrH,tMvZxr,fqDzK8/
    well that's my opinion.:) If what you chose is much cheaper would that do fine.


    I ended up getting 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 for now as I think this is likely to be something I upgrade pretty soon and I know my brother could use this RAM once I get something new. The only reason I went with 2666 was because on the motherboard specs it says it only supports above 2666 if you overclock. I do plan to overclock this PC but I've never done that before, so wanted to make sure I had a PC that would work straight away and then I have time to look into overclocking properly before I start.

    Price isn't too much of an issue for this build since I've been saving money for it for ages until I finally settled into a (hopefully) long term house.

    And thank you for all the advice!
    Reply to Vileshade
  12. You're welcome.:)
    Reply to Vic 40
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

RAM Computers CPUs Motherboards SSD